1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft a Tackle and move Free to guard.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Kwmike22, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Kwmike22

Kwmike22 Member

85 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really think there will be good value with our 1 pick for a tackle. This was a bad year for Free. I think he would make a great guard.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,699 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    There have been many threads concerning this topic.

Probably not going to happen.

Free doesn't have the build for guard, nor the power for guard.

He had a poor season this year, BUT had a very good year in '10 and a good year in '09.

He'll be shifted to RT and given an opportunity there.

The bottom line is that the Cowboys will not be drafting an OT early in the 2011 draft... Guard? Maybe. But not offensive tackle.
  3. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,048 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    Exactly how I feel about this.
  4. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,345 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    :confused: Where is the proof that he'll be a good guard?
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,204 Likes Received
    Jonathan Martin of Stanford, and putting him at RT and moving Free to OG is exactly my hope if Martin's linemate DeCastro is gone.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,753 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Or draft a T and play him at G the first year or two, like they did with Flozell Adams.

This would be a much better option than wasting that pick on a CB.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree. I think Free moves to RT and he really did do well as the RT enough so that the team gave him the chance to move to LT. I also think Free is taking more heat that what he deserves.

Fact is tackle is going to face some guys who can get around the corner quick add to that guys on the inside all too often were pushed back so Romo had nowhere to step up into. Like most I would like to see Free back to the RT and Smith to the LT and focus on getting the interior fixed
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    That would be sweet. I think he goes before our pick though. Depending on how teams rate the top tackles
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    Exactly, or Adams OSU.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Dallas will not play Free as an OG. He would be cut.

They can get the top OG on the free agent market at a cheaper per year deal than Free.
  11. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Martin could easily be a bust, he's far from a sure thing. Theres 0 evidence that Free will be a good guard, I actuallly think theres more evidence saying he can't handle the position. You know have 4 ?'s on your o-line with Smith being a 1st year starter at LT being your surest thing.

Sure doesn't sound like an upgrade to me.
  12. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,204 Likes Received
    But then they have dead money and another hole to fill.
  13. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,127 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    From what I have seen from Free, I actually think he would make a good Guard. Think about his nickname for a second, Doug "The Freak" Free. He is unbelievably athletic for a man of his size and he is very good at blocking on the move, something good Guards need to be able to do. Having him kick inside to LG wouldn't be as big as of a transition to you might think and it is very important to get our best 5 on the field.

Moving him to RG is a different story. Having listened to many offensive lineman, RG is the hardest position to play because of the way protection schemes are developed. I believe Free would be an outstanding LG and his ability to pull would really help this offense.
  14. MichaelWinicki

32,699 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Pulling is just a small part of a guard's job.

Free has problems with power, and he would be facing a lot of 6'2, 310lb guys who are great at the leverage game. They'll get under his pads and force him right into the backfield.
  15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    The Cowboys talked with DE Jake Bequette from Arkansas. The Redskins coaching staff has been using Bequette as an OLB in their 3-4 sets, and in drills, he’s been working out with the other linebackers, as opposed to the defensive linemen. If the Cowboys let Anthony Spencer walk, they need not just a new starter opposite DeMarcus Ware, but they’ll need depth there as well. Bequette could be that kind of guy.

RB Terrance Ganoway of Baylor also talked with the Cowboys. Ganoway is a big back at 5’11, 241. Ganoway ran all over Washington in the Alamo Bowl, going for 200 yards and 5 TDs. He had 21 TDs on the season. The Cowboys found themselves thin at RB late in the season after they lost DeMarco Murray. A trio of Murray, Jones, and Ganoway would give the Cowboys three unique styles of runners.

And finally, the Cowboys had a chat with a guy that I think has probably helped himself the most so far this week, WR Joe Adams of Arkansas. Very impressive player, but no size whatsoever. He’s 5’10, 174, but looks thicker than 174. He reminds me of DeSean Jackson, but with a bigger frame, and a little less speed. Teams may want him to bulk up a bit in the pros, hopefully without costing him some speed. In case you’ve never seen this, take a look at this punt return by Adams against Tennessee:

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/01...nfc-east-teams-talking-to-at-the-senior-bowl/

I'll admit I am very intrigued by Adams in the middle rounds. Huge upgrade on ST.
  16. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,127 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    I agree. I was just pointing out an area where he would dominate.
  17. MichaelWinicki

32,699 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Oh no question. The guy moves laterally very well.
  18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Would it be crazy to pick a topnotch OT in Rd 1 and a topnotch guard in Rd 2 or 3? It seems as though we are perfectly positioned to drastically improve the talent of Oline in this draft as there will be some pretty good players available at the position.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,753 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    It wouldn't be crazy at all.

Throw numbers at the team's most glaring weakness and turn it into a real strength.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Which is why these discussions are just dumb.

Free isn't doing anything but playing RT next year.
    If we draft an OT the draftee would play OG a year or so, then we cut Free.

We aren't looking OT unless value is just awesome.

Again, dumb discussion. OGs have much better overall draft value (i.e. can be had lower and cheaper) and availability while also filling a need. We spent a lot of money saying Free was a fit at OT. He was our top FA last year. We won't give up on him after one weak season at LT.

At 14 Dallas will almost certainly consider OG, CB, DE/OLB or a trade down unless a top prospect falls into their laps. This high in the draft they will very likely stay put and take the highest rated guy at one of those walk in start positions.

In round 2 they'll take highest rated overall athlete in all likelihood(please dont let him be injured).
    That has been the modis operand the past few seasons and we have the same draft team.