1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft could set up nicely for us

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RamziD, Jan 10, 2013.

1. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Arguably, our 2 biggest needs this offseason will be interior OL and a bigger DT for the 4-3.

1st round OG options: Chance Warmack, Johnathan Cooper, Barrett Jones, and possibly Larry Warford (in a trade-back)

2nd round DT options: Jesse Williams, Kawann Short, Sylvester Williams

If we trade back in the first (let's say for Jones or Warford), we should be able to pick up another third round pick. We could then be in position to draft BPAs for interior OL, OLB, safety, strong-side DE.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Kawann Short and Sylvester Williams would both fit Kiffen's style of 4-3 and so would Hankins.

Also don't forget we also need a RT.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    It really good fall right

I'd scratch Barrett Jones from Rd1 though. He will drop 1/2 -1 full round due to foot surgery
  4. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I think we should trade back in to the late 1st or early 2nd and then trade a 4th and 5th to get in to the 3rd and have 4-5 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We could get a OG, RT, DT, and safety in the 2nd and 3rd round that could all start day one.

Rebuilding the OL will be a two year process if we go through the draft. LG, Center, RG and RT is hard to replace in the draft in one year.

Also if we make the switch to 4-3 we need a DE, OLB, and still need a safety or two.

Next two years we need to go BPA per DE, OLB, SS, FS, OG, OG, C, and RT.
  5. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    True. We need to upgrade every position except LT, but we're probably not going to be able to get it all done this year. I think it's more important to get stout interior protection now. Andy Levitre should be our top offseason priority along with upgrading through the draft. We're most likely going with Parnell at RT, for better or worse.
  6. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Just having Parnell at RT would be awful. Not saying he can't do it but can't trust him to be great. I think we should draft a guy that can play both OG and RT like Dallas Thomas.

Buffalo said levitre is their #1 priority since they will franchise Byrd.
    And Levitre will cost big money and we don't have any.

Matt Slauson and Louis Vazquez are two OGs I would look at.
  7. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    I think we're going to see a lot of people leaving this offseason: Free, Ratliff, possibly Austin. Jenkins and FJ won't be resigned. Romo will probably be extended. I think we will have the cap room to go after Levitre (and I hope against hope we can get him).
  8. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    well I don't see it happening and I would be ok with it. Buffalo offense system the last three years helped him out. That quick three step drop and pass helps limit sacks and they have a complete good OL for run blocking.
    Not saying Levitre isn't good just saying he is over rated.

Slauson was good but no where near Levitre but he has a history with Callahan and would be an upgrade, Also Vazquez played great this year and would be a great RG if we go back to the power run game.
  9. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Also we are scheduled to be 12 million over the cap. Releasing Ratliff will not change any of that. Releasing Free would only free up 3 million and Austin wouldn't free up alot either.
  10. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Cowboys won't have a problem getting under the cap. Take a look at Carr's contract, for example. It will be restructured to make cap room. There are several other players who will be as well.
  11. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,677 Messages
    66 Likes Received

With Stephen working the numbers....today we can be $10 million over......tomorrow $20 million under.....I am not worried about the cap at all.