1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Grades from Kiper & others...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I like our draft alot. I'd give it a solid B.

Could be A in 2013 if Crawford and Wilber are starting. Outside chance for Johnson. The first 4 picks in this draft are all going to play a role THIS year and have realistic potential to start in the future. Coale is the icing on the cake. Getting your 3rd WR in the 5th round is a good deal. There were a lot of good WRs in this draft and Coale is one of the most underrated among them. Only downside to this draft, IMO, is the inability to get a C. I have high hopes for Nagy or Kowalski, but if we stroll TRex out there on opening day, we're in for a long season.

Not the biggest fan on Hanna because of the questions over his hands, but 7 TDs for Oklahoma with bad hands is not nothing. McSurdy is what he is, possible LB depth and special teamer.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,136 Messages
    1,995 Likes Received
    That stat is true.

That 91 yarder by Murray greatly skewed the numbers.
  3. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Mayock said the same thing. He said that he talked them down to doing just 1 mock draft but they turned it into a hour show. :laugh2:
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,857 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    I dont agree much with Mel K, but I agree with his letter grade. Not having a second rounder knocks the draft down a full letter grade IMO. That should be a high level player for years, and yes I think Claiborne will be a stud. I just dont see that many sure things after the first round. Picks 4 comp and 7 are highly suspect as IMO.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,078 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    This is what they would have had if not for the trade:

6 CB Morris Claiborne >>>>>>>>> 14 DE Michael Brockers + 45 ILB Bobby Wagner

I'll take Claiborne over Brockers and Wagner, thank you very much.
  6. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,634 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obviously the Cowboys were content with the hiring of Callahan, as well as the two FA signings of Bernadeau, as far as the Oline goes. Throw in the the hopeful, continued improvement of Nagy, Arkin, and Kowalski, and I'm okay with the Boys not addressing the Oline in the draft.
  7. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,292 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Good point. But it has been partially addressed in FA.

FB and the OGs added should help in running game , the knock on the OGs is in the passing game, IMO
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,594 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    NFL Network's Michael Lombardi gave the Cowboys an "A" while doling out draft grades to each team in the NFC East.

"I thought the Cowboys had the best draft [in the division]," Lombardi said during the NFL Network's draft coverage. "I thought they really did a nice job getting the corner that they needed in Claiborne, and then adding the defensive lineman in the third round, Crawford. I think he’s a really good football player."

"Remember, the Cowboys are just a missed field goal and a couple of situations away from keeping the Giants out of it."

Read: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...an-a-says-they-had-best-draft-in-nfc-east.ece
  9. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,416 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    If we can generate more rushing touchdowns this year through the new people/rotating existing people to other positions on the Oline AND generate more pass rush time because of the corners we got then there really shouldn't be any reason why we won't be right there at the end when it comes to the division race or the playoff race.

Interior push on both sides of the ball is going to dictate our season again. Hopefully we got the right pieces to get that push.
  10. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,609 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    Grading a draft right after it takes place is about as accurate as a Tim Tebow pass. A few are on target, but most are way off.
  11. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The problem is... what good is he injured because of a terrible Oline. Broken collar bones, broken ribs, punctured lungs, damn near a broken hand that was swollen the size of a softball.... And that's been each season for the last two seasons... That's not good...

12. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,838 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    After this draft, I see an 8 & 8 team. Horrible draft.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,390 Messages
    2,942 Likes Received
    Now there's a shock.
  14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,608 Messages
    583 Likes Received

I felt pretty good about this draft before but now I feel a lot better about it.
  15. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    If you take that play completely out of the numbers, we still were tied for fourth in YPC up the middle, and we were No. 2 in YPC behind the right guard. It's not like we were bad or even mediocre running up the middle except for one play.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,678 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    What do the numbers say in short yardage and/or redzone?
  17. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,838 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Don't see where the defensive pressure is going to come from. Not sold on the Kroger-brand offensive linemen we picked up, we let a really good third receiver go, and we still have problems in big games that's not magically going to fix themselves.

I would rather have picked up another lineman and someone to bull-doze the quarterback, but at least now we have a secondary.
  18. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,467 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    The Rams' skews all the running stats. Every team has a game, good or bad, that does that sometimes, but rarely do you see a game like Dallas had against StL. The Cowboys had 4 or 5 games where they could run the ball, mostly against bad teams, and the rest was not good.

When they absolutely had to, the Cowboys could not run the ball. Inside or out. Like the last game of the year. The OL needed a lot of help this offseason, and the Cowboys put little effort towards it.
  19. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....Livings and Bernadette and a few UDFA's? Holy crap, romo has to be nervous going into this season. I guess they COULD think Nagy or Arkin could compete but..that's a stretch honestly. Costa? Fuhgedaboutit:bang2:
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,390 Messages
    2,942 Likes Received
    That simply isn't true. The guys we brought in last year will now have an entire off season to get better and a year of experience in the NFL behind them. Additionally we signed two free agents. Also, we flipped OT's putting Free in a position where is should be. Don't forget UDFA's either. Another big factor is the new OL coach. I see efforts all over the place!