Draft grading

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

49,596 Messages
    12,317 Likes Received
    GRADE SCALE FOR NFL PROSPECTS

9.0 — A once-in-a-lifetime player (e.g., John Elway, Jim Brown or Lawrence Taylor).
    8.00-8.99 — Perennial All-Pro (e.g., Bruce Matthews).
    7.50-7.99 — Future All-Pro.
    7.00-7.49 — Should become a Pro Bowl-caliber player.
    6.50-6.99 — Sure-fire first-rounder, who aside from a quarterback, should contribute as a rookie.
    6.00-6.49 — Has a good chance to go in the first round and be a starter by his second season.
    5.60-5.99 — A legitimate second-round pick.
    5.50-5.59 — Depending on the quality of the draft, player will go in the late second or the third round.
    5.40-5.49 — A third-round pick, taking into account the selections the NFL adds at the end of rounds
    5.30-5.39 — A fourth-round pick.
    5.21-5.29 — A fourth- or fifth-round pick.
    5.20 — A fifth- or sixth-round pick.
    5.11-5.19 — A sixth-round pick.
    5.10 — A seventh-round pick.
    5.01-5.09 — Top priority free agent who could end up being drafted.
    4.75-5.00 — Priority free agent who could end up being drafted.
    4.50-4.74 — Solid free agent who has an outside chance to make the right NFL team.
    4.00-4.49 — A player who could be in an NFL training camp.

Grading System
    • 5.00 to 4.00 -- Franchise Prospect -- A player who can change the course of a game and a consistent performer. Multiple Pro Bowl possibilities and top ten selection.
    • 3.99 to 3.10 -- Quality Prospect -- Someone that consistently gives good performances. Occasional Pro Bowl appearances.
    • 3.09 to 2.75 -- First-Year Contributor -- Prospect that has the ability to make plays from the get-go and start early into his rookie season.
    • 2.74 to 2.45 -- Future Starter -- A good athlete that must learn to be a football player or someone who is an "overachiever". Quality prospect with long term potential
    • 2.44 to 2.35 -- Fence Player -- Prospect on the fence that has the skills and abilities to succeed but needs time and patience to develop those skills to the fullest.
    • 2.34 to 1.99 -- Practice Squad -- Late-round draft pick or priority free agent that must develop his talents on the practice squad
    • 1.98 to 1.50 -- Free Agent -- Player who will make a 60 or 80 man roster.

NFP ALPHA GRADING SCALE

A: Rare athletic ability and rare production in college. Has minimum height, weight & speed grades of 8.0. Examples: John Elway and Eric Dickerson. Round 1.
    B: Rare athletic ability, but limited college production due to system. Has minimum height, weight & speed grades of 8.0. Example: Irving Fryar. Round 1.
    C: Rare athletic ability and rare production in college. Height/weight grade is lower than 8.0 but higher than 6.0. Examples: Barry Sanders (height) and Terry Glenn (weight). Round 1.
    D: Outstanding athletic ability and outstanding production in college. Meets minimum height, weight & speed requirements for the position. Examples: Tony Boselli and Fred Taylor. Round 1.
    E: Inconsistent players who do not play up to their talent level. Rounds 3-7.
    F: Limited athletic ability and good college production. Over-achieving type. Meets the minimum height and weight requirements, but usually lacks speed and burst. Rounds 2-7.
    G: Very good athletic ability and very good college production. Does not meet the minimum height requirement for his position. Examples: Sam Mills and Antoine Winfield. Rounds 1-7.
    H: Player who is switching to a new position that he did not play in college. Rounds 3-7.
    I: Player who meets the height, weight & speed requirements of his position. Players that play to the limit of their athletic ability. The “middle class” of the NFL. Most NFL players come from this grouping. Rounds 1-7.
    J: Very good athletic ability and very good college production. Does not meet the minimum weight requirement for his position. Examples: Terry Glenn and DeSean Jackson. Rounds 1-7.
    M: Player who meets the height, weight & speed requirements of his position. He either lacks the instincts for the position of has trouble learning. Rounds 3-7.
    Z: Major character question marks limit players draft status. Only can be drafted in the seventh round or signed as an undrafted free agent.

Tiering system:

Ok here I need a little help. I listened to Broaddus explain this but I can't find in the video where he did and I've forgotten the middle number.

1-1-1 The first number is the round I believe. The second number I'm not certain of. The last number is the rank in the round. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is one thread discussing it: http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4981993#post4981993

Here is the article from Ciskowski: http://cowboysblog.**************/2...y.html/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter