1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft grading

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,558 Messages
    3,841 Likes Received
    GRADE SCALE FOR NFL PROSPECTS

9.0 — A once-in-a-lifetime player (e.g., John Elway, Jim Brown or Lawrence Taylor).
    8.00-8.99 — Perennial All-Pro (e.g., Bruce Matthews).
    7.50-7.99 — Future All-Pro.
    7.00-7.49 — Should become a Pro Bowl-caliber player.
    6.50-6.99 — Sure-fire first-rounder, who aside from a quarterback, should contribute as a rookie.
    6.00-6.49 — Has a good chance to go in the first round and be a starter by his second season.
    5.60-5.99 — A legitimate second-round pick.
    5.50-5.59 — Depending on the quality of the draft, player will go in the late second or the third round.
    5.40-5.49 — A third-round pick, taking into account the selections the NFL adds at the end of rounds
    5.30-5.39 — A fourth-round pick.
    5.21-5.29 — A fourth- or fifth-round pick.
    5.20 — A fifth- or sixth-round pick.
    5.11-5.19 — A sixth-round pick.
    5.10 — A seventh-round pick.
    5.01-5.09 — Top priority free agent who could end up being drafted.
    4.75-5.00 — Priority free agent who could end up being drafted.
    4.50-4.74 — Solid free agent who has an outside chance to make the right NFL team.
    4.00-4.49 — A player who could be in an NFL training camp.

Grading System
    • 5.00 to 4.00 -- Franchise Prospect -- A player who can change the course of a game and a consistent performer. Multiple Pro Bowl possibilities and top ten selection.
    • 3.99 to 3.10 -- Quality Prospect -- Someone that consistently gives good performances. Occasional Pro Bowl appearances.
    • 3.09 to 2.75 -- First-Year Contributor -- Prospect that has the ability to make plays from the get-go and start early into his rookie season.
    • 2.74 to 2.45 -- Future Starter -- A good athlete that must learn to be a football player or someone who is an "overachiever". Quality prospect with long term potential
    • 2.44 to 2.35 -- Fence Player -- Prospect on the fence that has the skills and abilities to succeed but needs time and patience to develop those skills to the fullest.
    • 2.34 to 1.99 -- Practice Squad -- Late-round draft pick or priority free agent that must develop his talents on the practice squad
    • 1.98 to 1.50 -- Free Agent -- Player who will make a 60 or 80 man roster.

NFP ALPHA GRADING SCALE

A: Rare athletic ability and rare production in college. Has minimum height, weight & speed grades of 8.0. Examples: John Elway and Eric Dickerson. Round 1.
    B: Rare athletic ability, but limited college production due to system. Has minimum height, weight & speed grades of 8.0. Example: Irving Fryar. Round 1.
    C: Rare athletic ability and rare production in college. Height/weight grade is lower than 8.0 but higher than 6.0. Examples: Barry Sanders (height) and Terry Glenn (weight). Round 1.
    D: Outstanding athletic ability and outstanding production in college. Meets minimum height, weight & speed requirements for the position. Examples: Tony Boselli and Fred Taylor. Round 1.
    E: Inconsistent players who do not play up to their talent level. Rounds 3-7.
    F: Limited athletic ability and good college production. Over-achieving type. Meets the minimum height and weight requirements, but usually lacks speed and burst. Rounds 2-7.
    G: Very good athletic ability and very good college production. Does not meet the minimum height requirement for his position. Examples: Sam Mills and Antoine Winfield. Rounds 1-7.
    H: Player who is switching to a new position that he did not play in college. Rounds 3-7.
    I: Player who meets the height, weight & speed requirements of his position. Players that play to the limit of their athletic ability. The “middle class” of the NFL. Most NFL players come from this grouping. Rounds 1-7.
    J: Very good athletic ability and very good college production. Does not meet the minimum weight requirement for his position. Examples: Terry Glenn and DeSean Jackson. Rounds 1-7.
    M: Player who meets the height, weight & speed requirements of his position. He either lacks the instincts for the position of has trouble learning. Rounds 3-7.
    Z: Major character question marks limit players draft status. Only can be drafted in the seventh round or signed as an undrafted free agent.

Tiering system:

Ok here I need a little help. I listened to Broaddus explain this but I can't find in the video where he did and I've forgotten the middle number.

1-1-1 The first number is the round I believe. The second number I'm not certain of. The last number is the rank in the round. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is one thread discussing it: http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4981993#post4981993

Here is the article from Ciskowski: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...y.html/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter