1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Guru: Does anyone know

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by garyv, Nov 11, 2010.

1. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Draft Guru: Does anyone know how Patrick Peterson compares to Terrance Newman or Jenkins ? I mean both Cowboys were high #1 picks so I'm very curious if drafting Peterson will turn out to be about the same talent as we already have....

If I remember Julio Jones tore up Peterson
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,180 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Newman was pretty highly rated coming out of K-State, only real knock on him was he was a red shirt senior (who also stayed back in elementary school) who was 25, where Peterson is 20ish I guess.

With that being said I still think Newman was a better prospect than Peterson, but Peterson has a good chance at being a better pro.

Mike Jenkins on the other hand was a good prospect, but not as highly touted as Newman or Peterson. Remember he was the 4th CB taken in 07'.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Newman was drafted at no. 5 overall and Jenkins was taken at no. 25.

Drafting Peterson has absolutely nothing to do with either Newman or Jenkins, so I don't understand the rational behind the question.

Julio Jones did not tear up Peterson, I'm not sure where you got that either. Jones did snare a TD on a slant while Peterson was covering him, but it happens, Jones is a good player and the QB put it where no one else could grab it.

Peterson wasn't even covering Jones the entire day, so don't be fooled by Jones' overall stats for the day.

I've got the game recorded and have already watched it twice...
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    Peterson's size makes a lot of people wonder at making a FS out of him; which is something to consider for us since we have been so horrendously lousy at replacing Woody.
  5. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,046 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    He didn't tear up PP at all.
  6. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    bama junior WR Julio Jones had excellent game against LSU star Patrick Peterson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julio Jones: Alabama (6-4, 220)
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ense-1144.html
    Don’t close the case just yet on the nation’s top wide receiver prospect, as Alabama’s Julio Jones — who has been brilliant for most of the year — had one of his signature games this weekend vs. who many suspect to be the top cornerback drafted come April in LSU’s Patrick Peterson. Jones was singled up for most of the day with Peterson and finished the game with 10 catches for 89 yards and a touchdown and seemed to really keep his focus and concentration throughout, one of the biggest questions I had about his game coming in.

Watching Jones last season he looked a bit too bulky for his own good, losing some of the impressive explosion and fluidity he displayed for such a big guy as a freshman. However, he looks a little leaner this year, which has really helped his play dramatically in the process in my opinion. He’s not only doing a much better job cleanly changing directions and accelerating out of his breaks in order to gain separation on sharply breaking routes, but his overall feel as a route runner has really improved. He’s doing a much better job changing gears in order to set up routes, which allows him to consistently gain a step and then use his big, long frame to adjust to the football. He showcased great body control and focus on one back shoulder throw Saturday and at times is simply too good, making a play on the football even when covered up. Now, I am not going to say that Jones is hands down the better prospect over A.J. Green, but he does add more of a physical element compared to Green and depending on what your flavor is, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to hear some teams liking Jones a bit more that Green come draft day.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

CowboyJoe, I know you didn't write that so this isn't directed at you, but what that blurb said is absolute garbage.

Anyone who actually watched the game would know that Peterson did not "single up" with Jones most of the day. That's just plainly not factual. Peterson was on both sides of the field lining up with #4 Maze along with Jones and another 'Bama reciever. He certainly did cover Jones at times and did give up a few catches, most notably the TD.

However, the 10 catches for 89 yards were by no means all caught on Peterson. In fact, I would probably say half of that production (apx. 5 rec. for 45+/- yards and a TD).
  8. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Peterson is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better prospect then Newman coming out. Ask anybody who has a clue and they'll tell you the same
  9. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,046 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    Yeah, he gave up a 10 yard slant for the TD to Jones.

Did you watch the game?
  10. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    well I tell you

I take any of these guys

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Brandon Harris*, CB, Miami
    Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia

Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    Jalil Brown, CB, Colorado

11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jimmy Smith makes Mike Jenkins look like Ronnie Lott when it comes to tackling. He wants no business with it.
  12. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    no problem buddy, i just posted the story,
    :cool:
  13. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the one I really like is Jalil Brown, CB, Colorado

and can be had in 2-4 round
  14. Manwiththeplan

5,180 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    peterson is a better prospect than Newman was at an equal point in their college career, but Peterson isn't likely to be rated as highly when the draft process is done. He won't put up the same workout numbers and he doesn't have the same college production.

With all that being said I think Peterson has a good shot at being a better pro, but Newman was likely the best CB prospect of the 00s (still not as good as Champ 99' and Woodson 98')
  15. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    I would rather win 5 more games and get Prince. Peterson has bust written all over him IMO. He runs too high, his hips turn very slow and his lateral mobility back pedaling isn't that great.

He benefits, like a lot of other DB's have, from LSU's highly aggressive scheme and over-powering front seven. They allow him to sit back and watch the QB's eyes and rarely have to cover more than 3 seconds. He is a spectacular return man, but he just isn't fluid enough for me at CB.

This is all said in relation to us picking him top five. If he were to slide a little bit the value would be there.

I also don't think he is as good a prospect as Newman was. Literally Newman's only negative was his age.
  16. Manwiththeplan

5,180 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Newman's senior year he won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy (defensive player of the year) as well as the Thorpe award Thorpe Award (best defensive back). And I know college awards don't mean someone is a great prospect, but look at some of the winners the past few seasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronko_Nagurski_Trophy

definately more studs than duds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe_Award

Not quite as good, but still decent

Then on top of that Newman was a first team all american, which Peterson is no lock for Peterson.