1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Hypothetical

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Sam I Am, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hypothetically speaking, say the Cowboys stay at #9 and take Tyron Smith. (or someone else, whatever)

The Cowboys sit at I believe #40 in the second round which has a value of about 500. The 32nd pick in the draft is worth 590. If the Cowboys trade their second round, fourth round, and fifth round picks, they could theoretically move up to around the 31st pick in the draft.

Now, say Mike Pouncey, Jimmy Smith, or even JJ Watt (Watt is probably gone here, but those that have Watt going top 10 are crazy) are there. Do you trade off your 4th and 5th round picks along with your second to move up and grab one of these guys?

Of course, if the #9 pick wasn't a Smith, do you take Sherrod or Carimi is there? (I think Solder is long gone by that point.

I would be pretty happy to land Tyron Smith and say Pouncey or Watt in the first round. I think we can land a great pick in the 3rd also.
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,255 Messages
    1,891 Likes Received
    no, there is too much value in those picks

in your scenario, you stay at 40 and take either best OG that is there or the CB from Miami (i am blanking on his name right now)

the third will be d. williams (your future FS) and the 4 will be Moffit (your future Guard)

no way you trade all that

just my .02
  3. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You still have your 3rd pick in that hypothetical. (you are trading the 4th and 5th pick) If you take Pouncey in the first with the trade up pick, you don't need Moffit in the 4th. Basically you are trading your 4th and 5th pick to get Pouncey in the second round. (or someone else that is available that you may really like)

Obviously you don't do this unless the guy you want is there.
  4. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,338 Messages
    485 Likes Received
    I would do it for Carimi. I think the dude will be a good player in this league.
  5. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Even if you already took Tyron Smith at #9?
  6. acer941

acer941 Member

249 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Would love it. We would be like the jets with Ferguson and mangold.
  7. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,338 Messages
    485 Likes Received

Your scenario stated that he was not pick #9.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    No, I would not do that. If you took Smith at 9 and then traded up to get Carimi, then you are essentially taking two Rookie Tackles and still have Free you have to sign. That's not the best usage of our picks IMO. I doubt that Pouncy will be there at 31 but he, of course, is a possibility. You also have to have a willing trade partner with is not a given. No, I'd rather see us trade down and pick up picks in the first 3 rounds.
  9. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Three picks in the first round is intriguing. Carimi, Pouncey, and JJ Watt. :laugh2:
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    If I could get three picks in the first round that turned into Carimi, Pouncey and Watt, I'd just want to know who I needed to kill and what time I needed to show up for sentencing.

:laugh2:
  11. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,817 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    this draft gives you more value in the 2nd, 3rd and early 4th than anywhere else. The only guy in the 2nd I would move for barring an unforeseen fall is Stefen Wisniewski, at worst he is a decade long backup at RG/LG/C, at best he is a franchise center/guard. I want him bad.
  12. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,687 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    If we got a defensive player with our #9 pick and Gabe Carimi is sitting there at the bottom 30 of the first round I would trade our 4th and 5th in a heartbeat to get him.

Or if we got a tackle in the first I would trade an extra pick we got moving down to move back into the bottom first to get a player like Muhammad Wilkerson who right now is probably a high 2nd but will be a low first.