1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Machine Cowboy Mock Draft Feb 18th

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Feb 19, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    18 OG Jonathan Cooper North Carolina
    47 LB Arthur Brown Kansas St
    80 DE Malliciah Goodman Clemson
    111 OC Khaled Holmes USC
    144 DT Kwame Geathers Georgia
    175 OT Braden Brown BYU

I like the first two picks, especially Cooper. Brown is a little small but a good player. Holmes in the 4th I like as well. May be a better fit at LG then C. Geathers is interesting and not all together unknown to the Cowboys. Several of them have been in and out of the NFL. Braden Brown I don't love. I think we can get better, even at 175 but WTH.

Goodman in the 3rd, that I don't know about. He's got long arms but that's about it. He doesn't really do much of anything else all that well. I think he's a better fit for a 34 DE rather then a 43 LDE.

Anyway, fire away!
  2. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I like the first two picks and also the Holmes pick.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I actually like Goodman more than I like the Brown pick. Not that I have a problem with Brown, I just don't see him being an impact player on our D. I think there are equal LB's that can be had in the 3rd/4th round (Hodges, Gooden, Thomas). Certainly wouldn't be upset with this draft though. Seen much worse
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    If we start the draft with Cooper, I'll already be in a decent mood. We may be able to trade down and still get him though...not sure.

I'm not sure if you all have seen Goodman play, but I would not take him with a 3rd rounder...far too many really good options that early.

It could be worse...certainly a meat and potato-type draft--which I'm hoping for.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Sometimes it's interesting to see what the computer spits out in a Mock. No bias, just analytical probabilities.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    I dont see Brown being there at 47 or them drafting Geathers at all.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Arthur Brown is interesting. He's an exceptional Football Player that is very limited by his size. At the Collegiate level, he has done OK because he is very smart. He takes all the right angles and he recognizes plays almost immediately. However, at the next level, that's not going to be enough to play inside IMO. As it is, he doesn't really turn backs in at the POA. He kinda drags them down if he has to meet them head on. In the NFL, that's going to be an even bigger problem. I don't think he can be a Middle or Inside LB in the NFL. I think he has to be an OLB and then, only in a 43, probably Weak Side. This is going to cut out a lot of teams from taking him early on. I think that the right team, with the right scheme needs to draft him.

JMO
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    I also like Brown. He is a pure LB with terrific instincts and football smarts for the position. He is always in the right spot at the right time. Actually reminds me of a young London Fletcher.

But, did you get that reversed where you said he is a 34 OLB? Because he is WAY too small for a 34 OLB and is just fine for most 43 OLB positions.

Brown is built at 6-1 and about 235 pounds is pretty much what you'd expect in a 43 defense. In a 34, you're talking the DeMarcus Ware's (6-5 260) and Spencer's (6-3, 265) and he isn't at all built that way.

Pretty much Dallas is the right team with the right scheme that you are talking about. He would be perfect.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Yes I did, thank you for catching that. Sometimes my brain gets ahead of my ability to type with any amount of accuracy, just corrected it.

I think he has to be a cover LB in a 43. It's really a shame his body type is not a little different. He is about as good as it gets at seeing the play and just being able to diagnose it and knife in to make a play but his body will just not allow him to take the pounding you would need to play MLB in the NFL. It's really a shame.
  10. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received

I agree about his key and diagnose ability. It is rare. He's always a step ahead of everyone else.

I don't think it will be that big of a deal for him to move to OLB though. He has the athleticism to be more than fine in coverage. The guy is just a linebacker through and through.

CBS SPortsline.com has him listed as the 3rd best OLB in the draft behind Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree. However, if he were a couple inches taller and 10 pounds heavier, he would be a first round pick.

Lucky for Dallas, we now run a system where his size wouldn't be a detriment like it is in most NFL defenses, so we could get first round talent in the second round. He is very athletic, but it is his rare instincts and football smarts that makes him a first round prospect. He's a terrific football player.

Here is what CBS Sportsline says about him:

[IMG]

ARTHUR BROWN

6-1 228 lbs.

OVERVIEW:

It is seemingly an annual rite of passage. Every year there is an ultra-productive linebacker who, if only an inch or two taller, would warrant top 15 consideration. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers were the fortunate recipient a year ago when they landed former Nebraska star Lavonte David in the second round. He went on to record 139 tackles as a rookie, tied for the eighth best in the NFL. This year, teams have two undersized stars to choose from in Rutgers' Khaseem Greene and Brown, who disappointed in his first stop in college but has since coming home has developed into an All-American and LOTT Impact Trophy finalist.
    Originally signing with Miami (Fla.) out of high school, Brown was one of the highest recruited players in 2008 and chose the Hurricanes over offers from just about every other program in the country. Brown struggled to crack the starting lineup in his two seasons in South Beach, finishing his Hurricane career with only 17 tackles. Never quite fitting in at Miami, he moved back to his home state of Kansas, transferring to Kansas State.
    After sitting out the 2010 season due to transfer rules, Brown had a stand-out junior campaign at middle linebacker in his first season with the Wildcats, totaling a team-best 101 tackles with 9.5 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks and one interception. His breakout performance earned him the Big 12's Defensive Newcomer of the Year.
    For as reliant as the Wildcats were on Heisman finalist Collin Klein on the offensive side of the ball during a run to the Fiesta Bowl in 2012, the team was every bit as dependent upon Brown on the defensive side. The surprisingly stout playmaker posted an eerily similar season in 2012 as he had his first season in Manhattan, recording 100 tackles, seven tackles for loss, two interceptions and a sack despite being the focus of every offense.
    Brown's lack of ideal size could push him into the draft's second frame. If so, he, like David and countless others before him, could prove to be a "big" steal.

ANALYSIS:

Strengths: Instinctive, physical defender who, other than his lack of ideal size, ranks among the surest prospects of the 2013 draft. Possesses excellent key and diagnosis skills. Often takes his initial step toward where the play is designed to go before the quarterback has finished taking the snap. Possesses explosive, active hands to quickly slip blocks and plays with excellent leverage, bending at the knees to consistently get under the pads of would-be blockers and pushing them aside to make the play in the hole. Very good balance to avoid cut blocks and when knocked to the ground; remarkably quick in popping back up. Very good sideline to sideline speed, which could allow him to remain at inside linebacker in the NFL. Drops back into coverage fluidly, demonstrating not only the athleticism but the awareness to handle this responsibility in the NFL. Times his blitz well with the snap, showing the flexibility to slip past blockers, flatten out and close on the quarterback. Weaknesses: Obvious size concerns, though he plays much bigger than he looks. Tendency to take on blocks with alternating shoulders, putting him in excellent position to slip off and make tackles but also could be jeopardizing the long-term health of his body, especially considering his relative lack of size in the first place. Stands out on tape for his size, physicality and open-field tackling, but hasn't proven to be much of a playmaker over his career, posting "just" three interceptions and not a single forced fumble over his collegiate career. Struggles while at Miami open up concerns about how well he'll handle the jump to an NFL team further from home.
    COMPARES TO: Curtis Lofton, ILB, New Orleans Saints -- Like Lofton, Brown plays bigger than he looks and will quickly prove himself to be a vacuum tackler in the NFL. To emerge as one of the elite at their position, however, each has to show a greater ability to cause turnovers.
    --Rob Rang

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619684/arthur-brown
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    He started at Safety so I agree, he could be a good Coverage OLB. He doesn't have the speed to play in a Cover2 as a MLB but he could be WSLB in a 43.

In so far as the Cowboys, I like him but I don't get the feeling that we are looking at him. Could be completely wrong here but if what we are hearing is correct, the Cowboys are more interested in a MLB. I think they want to keep both Lee and Carter at OLB positions and wont to bring in a guy who can play the MLB spot. In a Tampa2, that could be very interesting.
  12. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

895 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    No LB's in the first 3 rounds unless they are leaps and bounds better than anyone else.
  13. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received

I have not heard that they were wanting to play both Lee and Carter outside and bring in a MLB. If they end up doing that, it will somewhat surprise me.

As for that MLB position, remember Derrick Brooks wasn't very big at all. Brown is a very good MLB and if Kiffin thinks he is big enough, they might pull the trigger in the second round.

I will admit that the chances are greater that we wouldn't take him but man is he a good player! I guess you can tell he is a bit of a pet cat of mine. :eek::
  14. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received

Why? There are 3 LB spots and we have 2 starters.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    It was in an article posted on here, some weeks back. I suspected, at the time, that the reason for the decision to bring in a MLB was because the MLB in a Tampa2 is very, very different then any other LB position in any other scheme. I just figured Kiffin had somebody in mind.

I do agree with you though, Derrick Brooks was not huge and he played WLB for Tampa Bay. I think he was only around 6'0" 235-240. Certainly not much bigger if at all. I could easily see Brown filling a role such as that for a team.
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received

EDIT: I think you're correct and he was at WLB.
  17. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I think we already have our OLB in Carter

an 2nd is to high for LB IMO

i go after AJ Klien ILB Iowa State in the 5th

After limited playing time as a freshman in 2009, he became a starter in 2010 and was quickly a standout, registering 111 tackles, 8.0 tackles for loss and three interceptions (two returned for touchdowns), earning All-Big 12 Honorable Mention honors.

He followed that up two more remarkably statistically-similar campaigns, averaging 116.5 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss,
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

In a normal 43, he'd probably be a great pick at MLB but not in a Tampa2. Your MLB has to be able to drop and cover. Klein can do neither. If, in fact, we are going to play a Tampa2, I think we would be doing this guy a disservice if we drafted him to play MLB for us. He's a good football player who will make a team in a normal 43 IMO but I'm not sure he could make ours. JMO
  19. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Brown good fit for our system, not sure he is available in second with our pick. He would immediately improve the LB core.
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,892 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    with those options, i would rather go safety or DL in round 2 than LB

esp given the relative importance of our third LB vs starting FS in the tampa 2