1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Prospect @ 18: Thomas Howard

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dallascowboysfan31, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dallascowboysfan31

dallascowboysfan31 Member

720 Messages
    5 Likes Received
  2. SALADIN

SALADIN Jumper

1,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not a 1st rounder in this or any other parallel universe.

Teams are still wondering if Howard will be a SS or a WLB. He’s the Thomas Davis of this draft.

I’m not bought on this whole 3-4 LB should weigh this amount, but one thing that is for sure is that he does not fit this defense at any LB spot…even if he was a 7th round pick (at LB).

He’ll be a player for someone, though.
  3. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,246 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    I disagree. The guy is a gamer, and in the senior bowl, he was all over the place. He can get after your QB, he can get after the running game, and he will absolutely shut down anyone trying to pass the ball to a TE or a running back.

In the senior bowl, he had 2 or 3 chances to make interceptions, he was right in the players grill. And with that speed, he can get after that QB on blitzes and just a 3 point stance. I like him in the 2nd round.
  4. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

995 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I wouldn't think so at 18, but he seems like a good kid. I wouldn't think he's big enough for the 3-4 but he appears to be bigger than Burnett.
  5. MiStar

MiStar New Member

395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll bite.

Chris Gocong
    Cal Poly. State University
    Linebacker

Projected as high as the late second round and as late as the fifth round. I seem to be the only one who thinks he is first round material. You might think I'm crazy - A first round pick on someone who didn't even play Div I-A? Gocong makes Howard and Lawson look like average athletes by comparison.

Combine freakish athleticism, great smarts, and incredible production and you have yourself a first round pick.

Here's an interview:
    http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=11093

and a draft profile:
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/chrisgocong.html

and bio of sorts:
    http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/121605abb.html
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    His 40 wasn't eye-popping (not compared to Lawson or Howard) but his short-shuttle and 3-cone drill, vertical, broad jump and bench reps were all very impressive.

He does seem like a classic BP pick - smart guy, college DE/tweener and good athlete. I wouldn't be suprised at all if we ended up spending a 2nd or 3rd rounder on him.
  7. rock0100

rock0100 New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow, that would be a dream come true for me. I don't know about Howard at 18, but if by some slim chance he is available in the second round then he is a must have. I watched the guy play at UTEP for his whole career and he is an incredible athlete with speed that made our CB's (UTEP) look slow.
  8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'd be extremely pissed if we take Howard at 18
  9. PacoReloaded

PacoReloaded New Member

366 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Umm, no thanks. The only way I'd take him is if he was there in the 2nd round.
  10. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,246 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind drafting him as an ILB and letting him harass James and Ayodele. You can never have enough LINEbackers on a 3-4 team, plus he can battle it out with Lawson or Carpenter and may the best man win.
  11. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I doubt we draft a MLB after giving Shanle an extension, spending a 2nd on Kevin Burnett, and the staff being high on Fowler
  12. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,246 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    Let's see.
    Ware - Burnett
    Ayodele - Shanle
    James - Fowler
    Law/Carp - Thornton

Rocky Boiman
    Eric Ogbogu
    Michael Barrow
    Al Singleton

yeah, you're right. There are going to be alot of sad faces when cut time comes around.
  13. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Burnett will probably move inside, and Fowler will get cut and be placed on PS, and Boiman and Thorton would be the backups at each OLB spot...JMO
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I am not convinced about Thornton. He is not a great pass rusher and he seems to lack the athletic ability to cover TEs and RBs downfield. I suspect his roster spot may be in jeopardy if we draft anyone on the first day at OLB.
  15. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    all very true, I suspect Fowler or Thorton, or both, gets cut
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I'm not so sure about Fowler. The Achilles heel of this defense was exposed in the second half of the season - inability to handle the run. Fowler looks to have a nose for the football and has prototype size for a 3-4 ILB run-stuffer.

The ILBs who are locks to be on the team are Ayodele, James and Burnett. That does leave a spot open and very little competition - just has to beat out Shanle.

The OLB situation is more dire with only Ware as a quality starter, Singelton as a guy who needs to be upgraded, Boiman as a depth and ST guy and Ogbogu/Thornton as DE/OLB tweeners in the negative sense - not very good rushing the passer and not athletic enough to cover downfield.

When you look at this defense closely, the lack of real talent at LB for a 3-4 defense is astounding.
  17. felix360

felix360 Active Member

1,142 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    i would love Howard, we could trade down and pick him up early second maybe, this guy is a gamer, dont know if u (dallascowboysfan31) had a chance to go any of the games this year, i went to 2 games and man, this guy is all over making plays, whoever he ends up with he will get some significant playing time.
  18. felix360

felix360 Active Member

1,142 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    :welcome: to the greatest show on EARTh
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,246 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    :welcome:. Rock on...:)
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,576 Messages
    513 Likes Received

I agree about Fowler. Shanle will get cut before Fowler does, IMO.

Fowler is a much better run defender, and is a lot more physical then Shanle. Shanle is a nickel backer, at best.