1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Thoughts/Rumors/Speculatiom (3-28)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Apollo Creed, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,494 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    The highest a guard has gone in recent years is Mike Iupati at 17 and Decastro isn't worth the 14th pick - especially if you have guys like Ingram, Poe, Dre, etc

It's not a premium position, I believe they truly think between Livings, Bern, Arkin and between one of the projects we should be okay inside. If last year was an F for the interior line even with 'scrap heap' guys, that unit is immediately upgraded. Allows Romo a consistent pocket instead of constantly floating left or right from Costa and co being blown right back into him. And allows us to traditionally run the football (esp in the red zone & short yardage) without relying on smoke and mirrors style run design play calling system due to inept personel.

Back to the draft.

So let's say we take Dre at 14 or trade down to 22/23 with our old draft buddies Cle and Det - take Janoris Jenkins and pickup an extra 2nd - then take best C/G and best front 7 guy with those two picks.

We love Joe Adams but someone is gonna fall for him and take him way higher than projected, I know Garrett likes big receivers but we need a slot guy and it's not like Jerry isn't aware of a baller from his alum. Would solve 3rd WR/PR/KR

Jerry knows he can't take OL and T back to back years and sell that, drafting a DB gives us leverage on Jenkins, and I wouldn't put it passed Dallas to take Dre in the first and Barron on the 2nd - this is a passing league. You need guys that can cover, you just tendered Spencer, I can see us taking a pass rusher in 3/4 but these guys may have a FA on their radar next year to replace Almost Anthony.

Jerry talk yesterday was a half smoke screen/half truth - someone will wanna trade up for Decastro, if Ingram is gone we can get an extra 2nd and get a corner that I think is just as good as Jan Jenkins>Dre Kirk, ya gotta wheel and deal.

Extra 2nd could move up to target any guy that falls and gives us great flexibility and potentially 3 picks in those first 50-60 picks.

Just something to think about. Strum has Fletcher Cox on his latest mock, makes sense but Jerry and co's #1 priority this offseason was to fix the pass D. Corner/safety back to back if Barron slips out the first, and safeties always do.

Just my thoughts.

-AC
  2. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,123 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    DeCastro isn't worth 14 and lets trade down and take Jenkins was far as I got. Draft plans like this is why Dallas has been a failure for so many years.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,009 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    Great, sounds like 2009 all over again.

I wasn't a fan of that draft.
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    No one was.
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    DeCastro is better than Iupati. Is he 3 picks better? Probably.

If the Cowboys trade down (fail) to take Janoris Jenkins (double fail) this draft will be an epic fail on the level of 2009.

Lesson: Don't use drugs before you begin drafting. You will fail on an epic level.
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

8,841 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    There is absolutely zero chance Janoris Jenkins will be a cowboy.. In rd 1 or rd 7..he doesn't fit the bill for the type of players we will be drafting. Dre on the other hand is definitely a possibility. I still think we are drafting a DE if we stay at 14
  7. Sandyf

Sandyf Member

562 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Have to agree most of what Jerry says currently is smoke. And I am sure that chimney will be smoking quite a bit over the next 29 days.

Is DeCastro worth #14? Based on the new CBA and the fact that DeCastro is being the best guard in the draft since Steve Hutchinson was drafted, I would say that he is definitely worth #14. It doesn't mean that we would draft him though. Lots could happen at that point. For example what if the Bengals wanted him so much that they would give you #17 and a 2nd for the right to move up 3 spots. You probably take that trade.

Could we be targeting someone in free agency at OLB next year? Could be but again no guarantee that they will be there or that you get them and why overpay if you can draft someone.

I seriously doubt Janois Jenkins is even going to be on the Dallas draft board. He is no way a guy that Garrett wants on the team, talented or not. Jenkins has all the signs of being out of the league in three years based on his attitude and history.

If Dallas and Mike Jenkins are talking extension now, there is a chance that he could actually sign an extension prior to the draft. That would sort of put a CB as not so much a 1st round priority if it even is. Based on Scouts Inc and NFLDraftScout, the CB crop next year looks to be much better according to them.
  8. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,763 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Jenkins is the best cover corner in this draft. That being said, I agree, his off the field stuff keeps him from being on our radar.
  9. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,328 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    I don't think we'll go after DeCastro. Would be nice if we did. But the team clearly prefers to use high picks on premium positions and a 1st round G doesn't fit into their philosophy. Similarly, there's no way the team goes after Jenkins (they stay away from 'trouble').

So, what's left (taking into account our needs and team preferences) is DE, DT, OLB, CB.

Jerry gushing over Poe essentially eliminates him from the equation.

Brockers, Cox, Ingram, Mercilus, Upshaw, Hightower, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore.

I believe those are our targets and considering that none of them really stand out, save Cox, IMO--whose youth, production, measurables and intangibles all check out--I'd say there's an excellent chance we trade down.

As a matter of fact, if the team ranks 7 or 8 guys the same, there's no way in hell we DON'T trade down. Jerry loves getting 'value,' and in this scenario, there's no doubt in my mind he'll move the pick.
  10. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,401 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Guard is a premium position when your QB is puncturing his lung and fracturing ribs.

Livings and Bern are JAG's. However, I'm willing to give the scouting department the benefit of the doubt after getting Robinson and Fiammetta last year. I still don't have a good feeling about the mediocre OL signings. The fact that the team would pass on the best guard prospect since Steve Hutchinson because of two average guards is troubling. That tells me right there that the organization isn't sticking to their board. STICK TO YOUR BOARD.
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,328 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Guard is not a premium position.

People think they need to surround Romo with 1st round picks to ensure his safety. It's a priority position for this team, definitely, but priority need does not = premium position. That spot can be filled with a second or third rounder and the team would do just fine.
  12. TheSport78

8,401 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    You mean guys like Robert Brewster, Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman? I have no faith that this organization can find offensive linemen in the mid to late rounds.

Yeah, they don't all have to be 1st round picks, but they shouldn't be 4th and 7th round picks, and undrafted free agents as starters either. That's what the franchise did last year and it was a monumental fail.

What does "premium" mean? It has a high importance to your team. Keeping Tony upright is priority number one.
  13. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,009 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    Based on their miserable track record and history of failure drafting offensive linemen, they need to take the closest thing to a sure thing that they're going to find.

DeCastro is that 'sure thing'.

Take him and solidify your offensive line and the beautiful 'car' of an offense will finally have the 'engine' to help make it go.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,164 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    I think the Free Agent market has shown that OG (at a high level) is commanding a lot of attention.
  15. TheSport78

8,401 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Exactly! Solid thoughts...
  16. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,328 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    It's true they generally suck at getting OL in the later rounds, and I agree they probably should go with the 'sure' thing in Decastro. But I just don't see it happening. G is just not a position that this team puts a lot of importance on.

Premium to me means--a position that requires a ton of skill, smarts and one that makes a dramatic difference to the team's overall performance. I don't think G is one of them.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,136 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    ROFL. Please stop saying this nonsense. You clearly watch too much Glee or something. This is some seriously over the top emo drama.

Romo was hit less than many QBs last year. QBs get hit regardless or who is protecting them. And DeCastro is an interior guy which hardly keeps the elite pass rushers off Romo.

Hutchinson was drafted 17th, not at 14.
    He is also on his 3rd team, none of them big-time winners.

Best way to protect Romo is play some defense so we can actually hand the ball off and not need to drop back 50 times a game to keep us in it.
  18. FootballCorner

FootballCorner New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chris Williams was a tackle in college but he is considered a guard now. He was taken 14th by the Bears. Brandon Albert was taken 17th, I think. He was a guard coming out, a tackle now. Mike Pouncey was taken 15th last draft. He was an interior guy. Centers and guards have traditionally carried about the same value.

So, the question is, do you think DeCastro is that special player. If the answer is yes, then you take him.

In fact, if you think any player is a multiple time Pro Bowl guy, wouldn't you rather have that player than some average guy at a premium position? Think about it. Wouldn't you rather have an elite guard than an average linebacker? Cornerback? Quarterback?

I would always take the elite guy.
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,328 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,164 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Somebody, somebody, PLEASE make him stop!