1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Draft Toughness To Match Jason Garrett's "Playing Physical" Philosophy

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by romo_19_55, Feb 3, 2011.

1. romo_19_55

romo_19_55 New Member

53 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Patrick Peterson doesn't drop to pick #5 thru #8 or Robert Quinn or Von Miller doesn't fall to pick #9, I'm sure the Cowboys might think seriously about trading down in the first round to pick up another 3rd round pick. If so, I'd hope the Boys draft PHYSICAL guys in this years draft to match Jason Garrett's stated new Cowboys mission statement. With Rob Ryan aboard, maybe Jerrah and scouting department will have the same vision!!! That being said, they are plenty of talented tough college football players (that play with a nasty streak) available in this year's draft. Let's all hope we get lucky and draft the following players:

1st Rd: Patrick Peterson CB or Robert Quinn (OLB)
    2nd Rd: Derrick Sherrod or Gabe Carimi OT/OG
    3rd Rd: Kenrick Ellis or Phil Taylor NT (mammoths at 6'4" 340lbs)
    4th Rd: Tim Barnes (Wisconsin tough guy) or Jake Kirkpatrick C
    5th Rd: Robert Sands (6'4" 221lbs) or Deunta Williams FS
    6th Rd: John Clay (6'1" 248lbs) or Henry Hynoski (6'0" 260 lbs) FB
    7th Rd: Da'Rel Scott RB (4.34 40yd/5'11" 205lbs) or Allen Bradford RB (5'11" 235lbs)
  2. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I appriciate the guys on here who take the time to do their mocks, but i think alot of people on here seriously undervalue alot of guys in this draft.
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    well said , no way those 2 guys are available in r2 and if they are then that could be a red flag
  4. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Not only that, but Duenta falling to the 5th? And Phil Taylor sounds like he may be a first round pick lately, although i don't think he should be.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Considering nobody here is a draft expert.....
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,266 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    ..and there may be a run on offensive tackles for the second year in a row.
  7. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Smart *** comments aside, i just figure if you're doing a mock, you've at least looked into the draft enough to have a general idea of what round most guys are being projected to go in.
  8. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Prefer you 2nd choices more. Ellis is the better athlete but Taylor is quicker and better technique to play NT. Ellis had better numbers, but against lesser competition - both lack stamina & consistency.
  9. romo_19_55

romo_19_55 New Member

53 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't finish my THREAD (had to run errands) since I had TWO DRAFT scenarios possibly happening.

Regarding my First Mock, I'm NOT sure if these guys are really 'undervalued' since there ARE alot of good football players rated higher at their respective positions than the football players that I listed in my Mock Draft. Of course, I understand that once the RUN on Offensive Tackles starts in the late 1st Round that Sherrod and Carmini respectively may be gone. However, my GUT tells me that there will be quite a few surprises (i.e. QB & DE & CB run) in the first round of this year's draft which will push down a good quality OT to the Cowboys in the 2nd RD and a good quality NT in the 3rd RD (if the Cowboys want to draft a NT).

Regarding my Second Mock, I suspect that if Peterson or Quinn or Von Miller are NOT available at pick #9, the Cowboys will slide down a few picks to pickup a "extra" 3rd Rd pick. If that happens, my 2nd Mock would be:

1st Rd: Derrick Sherrod OT/OG or Gabe Carimi OT/OG
    2nd Rd: Curtis Brown CB or Jimmy Smith CB
    3rd Rd: Kenrick Ellis NT or Jerrell Powe NT
    3rd Rd: Tim Barnes C (Wisconsin tough guy) or Sam Acho (DE/OLB)
    4th Rd: Kelvin Sheppard ILB or Nate Irving ILB
    5th Rd: Robert Sands (6'4" 221lbs) or Deunta Williams FS
    6th Rd: John Clay (6'1" 248lbs) or Henry Hynoski (6'0" 260 lbs) FB
    7th Rd: Da'Rel Scott RB (4.34 40yd/5'11" 205lbs) or Allen Bradford RB (5'11" 235lbs)
  10. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    No way D.Wiliams falls to the 4th, probably wont make it out of the 2nd.