1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Drafting a Receiver

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by IAmLegend, Dec 18, 2012.

1. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    If Cordarelle Patterson declares (which surprisingly I've actually read he might stay), but if he does come out, there's no way he falls to the 3rd or 4th round. If he ran good routes, he'd be a top 25 pick. He has that kind of athletic playmaking ability. I see him going no later than mid-2nd round. Some team will fall in love with his athleticism, playmaking ability, and 40 time at the combine.
  2. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,969 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Justin Hunter is a BEAST but I doubt we get him. That's the guy I'd want.
  3. IAmLegend

4,160 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    He and Keenan Randle are the two gems at WR this draft, and both will most likely be drafted in the top 25. Justin Hunter reminds me of Randy Moss. Not saying he will be the same type of player, cause he probably won't, but he has the same type of game. A slim 6'4 receiver with speed who runs a lot of vertical routes to take the top of the defense. He has that same big play ability as Moss. The type of receiver that you can just throw it up and he'l go up and get it. Keenan Randle, at 6'3, is another big play receiver, but in a different way. Randle is deadly with the ball in his hands. He's electrifying for a guy his size, and Cal even had him returning kicks the past 2 years. Two different receivers, both great in their own right. Two lucky teams are going to get these guys.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,618 Messages
    5,774 Likes Received
    Well said.

Patterson's upside is as high as anyone in the 2013 draft, IMO.

If he stays in school, he could easily be a top-10 or even top-5 pick in 2014.
  5. IAmLegend

4,160 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    **Update**

'The Tennessean' is reporting that Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson will enter the NFL draft. Patterson is projected as a 1st or 2nd round pick.
  6. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    If true and he is sitting there at say 23 and the 'Boys are on the clock and Warmack, Cooper, Jenkins are gone....JJ will see a shiny toy.

I want OL/DL with 1st two picks, in either order.
  7. RastaRocket

5,969 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Hunter was a track star in high school, that guy can do it all. You mean Keenan Allen right? I haven't really seen much of him but he looks like a beast also.

[youtube]WhdVSwSPIoc[/youtube]

That kid has some nice hands. Wow. He's gonna kill himself one of these days hurdling a defender though.
  8. RastaRocket

5,969 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I didn't notice Dan Buckner was on your list!

I went to high school with him haha! He used to be in a bunch of my classes and would play in Halo tournaments at my buddys house.
  9. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I have no problem with drafting a WR, hopefully we are looking to upgrade every position on the field with high quality young cheap players.

Getting a WR would allow us some flexibility with Miles and maybe being able to cut him in 2014. Just like a tackle could lead us to cut Free, or a NT could lead us to cut TRat, all options should be explored depending what players are available to you come draft time.
  10. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I would really take a hard look at Kenny Stills. I think he has some real potential to succeed at the next level. I believe he will be there in the mid rounds as well, not a bad place for us to draft a wide out if we do draft one.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,870 Messages
    4,439 Likes Received
    While I admit the standards aren't as high as some, they do suspend players and do throw them out of universities in the SEC.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,618 Messages
    5,774 Likes Received
    Yep, I want OL/DL/OLB or possibly Safety in the 1st and 2nd rounds; however, Cordarrelle Patterson is the one guy that I would consider taking his despite his position.

Patterson is a guy that is going to require an extensive psych-eval to determine verify that he does not have Dez type issues. This is an area where I think Garrett has really brought value to the Cowboys.

Many of the pre-Garrett-Head-Coach draft picks failed due to psychological issues. Garrett, IMO, has forced the Cowboys to put much more emphasis on the mental aspect of players. He even hired a company that specializes in doing this type of analysis.

I think that Patterson just has some issues with route running due to being a JUCO transfer that is in his 1st year at Tennessee.

13. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Michael Dyer was kicked out of Auburn after breaking Bo Jackson's freshman rookie rushing record and a NC ring, so yes they do suspend and kick players out in the SEC.

I can list more, but SEC haters won't like that they are just better teams than others, instead the SEC just has to be doing something wrong.
  14. RastaRocket

5,969 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    He was also going like 30 mph over the speed limit with a gun in his lap and weed on the passenger seat. :lmao2:

Or something of that nature.
  15. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah he was also kicked out of Arkansas State.

Point was, players are kicked out of the SEC like every other conference.
  16. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Not a need, i would pass.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,562 Messages
    5,486 Likes Received
    All you need is a solid OL and that can be lethal. No team has the DB's to withstand that assault.
  18. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,807 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    My favorite WRs in this draft

1. Terrance Williams
    2. Quinton Patton
    3. Cobi Hamilton

Williams will be gone in the 1st and I don't want to use our 1st on a WR anyway. I only put him on the list cause he has wowed me so much this season......But I have zero expectations of him being on the board when we pick or that we would even pick him if he were there.

Patton could slip to the 3rd. The guy has lit up the stat sheet the last two seasons. He has a nose for the end zone, something I like my playmakers to have. IMO, he could be the deep threat this team is missing.

Hamilton has put up nice numbers. I think with better QB play, when Wilson went down, he could have had even better numbers. He has great size for a WR and pretty good speed.
  19. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,807 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Just got through watching a youtube highlight video of Quinton Patton from 2011. Near the end of the video, they had the announcers from one of the games talking about how he and a teammate spent time with children from the Make-A-Wish foundation. One of them wanted a trip to Disney World and another wanted a shopping spree.....so he and his teammate both gave the 2nd child their $300 best buy gift cards. Poor college students giving away that kind of money to needy children is awesome. Also, they said he was almost late for kickoff because he was wheeling around one of the children on and off the field before the game.

Patton not only puts up monster stats, but he seems to have his head and his heart in the right place. He is just the kind of prospect I hope the Cowboys are taking a strong look at. I want him in Big D. In fact, the two players in this draft I want the most are Quinton Patton and Brandon Williams........and both are outstanding players on the field, as well as strong character individuals off it.
  20. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

923 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Why would you guys need to draft a WR this year? You have arguably the best corps in the NFL already.