1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Drafting WR in the first round is a bad idea.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by FuzzyLumpkins, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,149 Messages
    664 Likes Received
    I agree with your sentiment but I would not consider Beasley and Harris accomplished WRs just yet in this league. Harris is a very good special teams weapon. Beasley seems to have potential to be a nice slot option but they aren't there yet.

WR is said to be deep in this draft. I'd wait until later to pick one up.
  2. DTown214

DTown214 Active Member

258 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    If its anyone but Watkins or Evans then I agree. Gotta go defense in the first round unless a great player falls in our lap
  3. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,885 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    ^This guy knows what he is talking about.
    casmith07 likes this.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,861 Messages
    884 Likes Received
    I'll also add that in general, WR's don't change your win/loss record much. They are great from a fan standpoint because even thought your team sucks (Browns), you have a guy to root for (Gordon), but there are so many great receivers in this league on terrible teams.
  5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,588 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Can't agree with that.

If we were the Patriots or Seahawks - where one player is the difference from being a contender and a champion, then you make that move.

But in Dallas we have gaping holes, depth issues and have 'needs' that must be addressed. Unless Sammy Watkins miraculously falls to you at 16 you don't take a receiver, not even Evans. Our offense has always been good enough for us to be competitive, it's our defense that keeps us out of the tournament every year.

Let's say we're sitting at 16 with Evans or Donald in our lap, you've got to take Donald even though Evans will more than likely be ranked higher on our board.
  6. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Drafting a WR in the first round would be the dumbest move ever made. That's why I would not be surprised in the least if that's what Jerry does. You could have Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin and Dez Bryant and still lose with this defense.
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    Talent considered. If Donald is on the Board if you're Dallas you take the DT instead of the WR Evans.

If the need player targeted is gone...take the BPA ... WR or TE included.

Trading down already holding 11 picks is kind of redundant in this deep of a Draft.

Stop manipulating your position and focus on something worth having....WR late could be the option, Dallas needs a versatile return man.
  8. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    I don't care what Evans runs he makes plays . You need to watch some Texas Tech games:mad:
  9. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member Zone Supporter

610 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I still believe they draft one. One huge factor that could lead the cowboys to drafting Evans is his age. He dominated at the age of 20. That factor alone puts the odds on his side to be a super star.
    dallasdave likes this.
  10. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Thank You, you said it, EVANS is dominate!!!!!!
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    I don't think Evans will be there at 16 honestly however drafting an Odell Beckham Jr who is explosive on the deep routes and YAC would be ideal IF they traded down some.
  12. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Drafting a WR in the 1st round would be pure entertainment to watch this board blow up when every Kiper/McShay/Mayock draft guru gives us a big fat F in the annual after draft grading.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,123 Likes Received
    I watch a lot of college football what does that have to do with anything, every year a WR who can make the catches comes into the league we have one as well called Dez Bryant, we have another named Terrance Williams whom while in college lead the nation in yards recv. I understand the importance of having quality weapons, Dallas has 2 very good starting WR, a potential HOF TE a very good RB and a highly ranked QB but none of that means jack if the foundation is cracked it all starts up front. If Dallas goes offense in rd one there are some great young OL players I would take over Evans not because I don't think Evans is a good prospect but because Dallas can take BPA and fill a need not grab another weapon with little help where it is sorely needed.

To me this is funny as hell, every time Jerry and this team drafts a skill position in rd 1 he is accused of drafting the shiny object instead of addressing major needs with top lineman and now it is the same fans wanting the shiny object. LOL You guys kill me
    DBOY3141 likes this.
  14. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    You kill me, in the last post you claimed Evans wasn't fast enough, remember. This makes me laugh because Jerry Rice was not fast and he did alright, so did a guy named Mike Irvin, and so did a guy I used to watch back in the day named Drew Pearson. But now we can't draft him because of the shiny object theory.:confused:
  15. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,885 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    When your team sucks all the way around and you have no hope to go to the superbowl and it appears you are rebuilding, you take BPA. If Mike Evans is sitting there at # 16, you take him. That guy is an absolute stud and will be for years to come.

Some of you act like we are just a player or 2 away from our defense being good. We are several players away from that.

Also there wasn't anything special about our offense last year either.
    dallasdave likes this.
  16. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Well said indeed sir.
  17. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,123 Likes Received
    Yes I did say that because if I add another WR why would I add what I already have in Dez? I would want a 4.3 type WR who was a true deep threat. Dez is my Jerry Rice or Irvin adding yet another WR that is what Matt Millen did in Det he loved drafting WR and I don't see where that approach heled Det at all. How many players on defense are we away? I don't know I know a true impact player on defense can make a big differance it can change a lot so this notion well you are not 1 or 2 players away? You don't know what player could come in that makes a major differance. I think Evans is good I also think we have damn good weapons what we don't have is a true foundation which is the guys in the trenches that make it all work. But no lets get another Weapon then moan at Jerry because he did not fix areas of major need that appears to be the MO for many fans
  18. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,123 Likes Received
    Hell if the best player at 16 is TE we get that then right? LOL
  19. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Great WR's make plays, just because you have a track star does not mean he will help the team, again go watch some TexasTech tape, then come back to the table.
  20. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,123 Likes Received
    Yes they do we have some who make plays that is not an area we lack in, I have seen him so you can stop saying watch the tape of him. He is a very good WR but there is only 1 ball and weapons we don't lack, foundation the very thing that allows you to get the most out of the weapons you have that is where we lack.