1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DraftNasty: NFC East Team Needs/Cowboys

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://newsite.draftnasty.com/nfc-east-team-needs/
    Dallas Cowboys

Positions In Most Need Of - Cornerback, Defensive End, and Offensive Tackle
    Dallas definitely needs help with their pass defense. CB Terence Newman showed some improvement during the last half of the season, but CB Mike Jenkins was one of the most disappointing corners to watch this season. The Cowboys D ranked 31st in points allowed (averaging 27.2) this season and their pass defense was ranked 26th. DE Marcus Spears was placed on IR in November and questions will be surrounding his return if Dallas chooses to keep him because he will be a free agent and DE Stephen Bowen replaced him and played very well especially when watching him play as an interior rusher in nickel and dime packages. Bowen along with DE Jason Hatcher will also be free agents. Offensive tackles Marc Colombo and (backup) Alex Barron have not played well in pass protection nor have they assisted much in the run game. The Cowboys absolutely must address their offensive line through the draft.

Positions To Be Considered - Free Safety, Strong Safety, Offensive Guard, and Wide Receiver
    Safeties Alan Ball (FS) and Gerald Sensabaugh will both be free agents. Ball had a very disappointing year and Sensabaugh is aging. Guard Kyle Kosier is 32 and will be a free agent. He was one of the glimmers of hope on the offensive line, but if unable to retain him, they will need to fill that void. Oh Roy. Wide Receiver Roy Williams just didn’t work out. Nothing else can be said. WR Dez Bryant will need to stay healthy next season to be of any assistance and WR Miles Austin will need to step up as the big play receiver. He had a decent season, but it was disappointing considering the hopes that the ‘Boys had for him.

Notable Free Agents - FS Alan Ball (RFA), DE
  2. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,251 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    How is safety not a "most needed"?
  3. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,372 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    Personally I would say Oline is most important then the secondary. Safety especially. I am ok with the Corners, but a third corner would be good to get somewhere. We need safeties in a bad way, but we most definitely need a major influx of youth and talent on the Oline.

DE is a luxary, imo, not a need. With good coaching, we should be ok at DE and CB. If a great deal on a great player falls into your lap, sure take it, but fix the line as a matter of priority.

EDIT: If we keep Campo, maybe we should draft a corner with the first pick, Campo cant coach up Newman nor Jenkins.
  4. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    agreed more than CB IMO .
  5. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Right tackle is the biggest need, Colombo was horid.
  6. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    lol dont shoot the poster, just posting info i find on cowboys and draft stuff
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,491 Likes Received
    Safety depth has some potential with a number of guys on the roster with 3 years or less experience. Guys like Mike Hamlin are not written off just yet. chances are extremely low we start the same duo next year but we do not have to place a high criticality on the position to improve it. cheaper FAsa nd lower draft picks than we need at CB to be sure.

CB is a bigger question because we had such poor play from TNew who is aging and paid like a star and Jenkins who was thought to be a Pro Bowl guy for years to come.

DE isn't really so much a pressing need as it is a chance to re-shuffle. I believe Bowen, Spears, Ratliff, Brent, Hatcher make a formidable front to be sure but we will have to resign a handful of those guys or replace them.
  8. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    we just need more cluctch gene basically.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I think you are wrong about writing Mike Hamlin off. Write him off. He plays in Jacksonville now.:)
  10. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Interesting take on things. I gotta say FS OT OG are three positions that MUST be addressed this off season. I would LIKE to add talent at DE NT MLB HB C. Those first three positions are critical IMO.
  11. romo_19_55

romo_19_55 New Member

53 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Most Critical Needs with our 7 draft picks (and we pick 9th in each Round):

RT (need young stud to help with pass blocking & run game)
    OG (need young stud to help with running game)
    NT (need 340lb mammoth to stop big gains up the middle and goal line)
    FS (no brainer)
    CB (T-New old, need big CB to handle elite bigger WRs)
    FB (bigger stud to improve run game)
    ILB (for depth purposes; two old ILB and Sean is injury prone)