1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

dre kirkpatrick

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jblaze2004, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,891 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    if he fell to us at 14. Seeing how he is a better zone type cb or press man (but he doesn't have good long speed). What about moving him to FS and moving sensy back to SS. Think about it dre kirkpatrick is a tough physical corner who loves contact, plays with swag and is one of the best if not the best tackling corner in the draft.

Unless he shows up at the combine and run faster than a 4.5 than I think him playing FS for us will be big. The scouts say he has good zone instinct and can tackle.

He might be like antrell rolle of the giants. He started in arizona as a corner but struggled (speed) and then they moved him to FS where he played alot better. Antrelle rolle is one of those physical zone type corners that is physical, just like kirkpatrick. The thing is kirkpatrick has great size at almost 6'3 and about 192 lbs. He can easily bulk up to 200 or so pounds and ball out at FS.
  2. Romo2Bryant4Six

Romo2Bryant4Six Member

692 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Malcolm Jenkins in New Orleans was a "corner" when he came out too, but other than him and Rolle, I cant think of any others off the top of my head that were very successful with a transition like that out of college

IMO we should worry about pass rush before secondary and after ofeensie line in the off season
  3. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

324 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I really like Dre Kirkpatrick as a player; however, if he doesn't project as a corner at the next level, I would rather the Cowboys pass on him. I say this because, do we take a player with the 14 pick only to develop him at another position. I would rather have a player that can come in and help this team right away.
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Yes I think Kirkpatrick would be a great FS one day but at 14 you have to get a for sure starter to fill these holes.
  5. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,012 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    By the time the combines and Pro Days are done, I have a feeling that so many clubs are gonna be torn (in a good way) about where to play this kid. I have a feeling he's gonna run about a 4.49 at the combine, BUT show great athleticism and instincts. I bet he could start at either CB or FS from day one. The kid is a baller.
  6. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,891 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    if he do blow up at the combine he will go top ten and we will not get a chance to get him. But this draft is deep at CB and guards so we should not have to trade up for either unless it is late round trade ups.
  7. cruz_aedo861

cruz_aedo861 Member

105 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    +1. 14th is not the time to pick somebody then change their position on a hunch.
  8. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Keep him at corner till he proves he can't play it. 6'3 corners don't come by very often.
  9. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    kirkpatyrick and the kid from LSU will both run sub 4.5 40s and be in the top 10 ... forget about an elite corner at #14.
  10. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,113 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Pressure pressure pressure....you can have the best corners in the world, but with no pass rush you are D.O.A.
  11. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,091 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    For a reason...guys with longer legs tend to struggle with agility. But as everyone else has said, we will just have to wait til the combine.

I think FS is Kirkpatrick's eventual future, but he will be given a shot at CB for a few years for sure.
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    This, look at NYG, their corners are not that great but that front 4 gets so much pressure.
    Same in Baltimore and San Fran, you get pressure and your secondary will be much better.
  13. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    That's a fair point. I for one thought that Watkins was too tall for his position at 6'5 and thought he should have been converted to WR from day one....
  14. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Cool story.
  15. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,470 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Every year without fail...
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,113 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Yup...this game is about the bigs...if your weak up front you have no chance.