1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Drew Henson Opens Up

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dirtycallahan, Mar 1, 2013.

1. dirtycallahan

dirtycallahan Member

204 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Drew Henson, at 33 years old, should still be in the middle of his professional playing career right now.

Instead he is the new hitting coach for one of two Yankees teams in the Gulf Coast League. He seems energetic about his new job, and even more excited that he and his wife Madeleine are expecting their first child at the end of March. It’s been a long ride from when I first met Drew at the Yankees’ minor league complex in the spring of 2001.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/02...m-opens-up-on-letdowns-and-new-opportunities/

Remember when he was going to solve everything?
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,635 Messages
    1,393 Likes Received
    No, I don't remember, but that is because I never bought into it. I don't trust guys who quit one sport because they are struggling and then go to another sport. I also don't have confidence in QBs who have been away from football for a few years. Roger Staubach was definitely the exception because most guys that have missed some formative years at the position don't amount to much.
  3. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,480 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Parcells gave up on him too early IMO but the kid obviously didnt help himself by jumping back and forth between sports and from that article it sounds like football wasn't in his heart anyway. You can get away with that at the amatuer level but its nearly impossible to have success at the professional level bouncing around like that. Shame because he seems like a good kid and had all the raw talent in the world.
  4. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,101 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Well I'll just say that I think he should have got more of a chance but then Parcells never liked him. I mean who the hell else did we have on the team that we could not have given him a little more time. Parcells is the definition of STUBBORN.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    LOL at those that still blame BP. He saw right off that Henson would never be worth it.

How many chances did he get with other teams?

yet some think its all BP's fault.

He never HAD it.

Meanwhile BP protected Romo. Guess what? He was right on all counts.
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,579 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Agreed.

I remember a few posters praising him cuz of his "perfect throwing mechanics" Based on a single, still photo (I know, what other kind of photo is there?).

The dude was horrible. A big time waste of a 3rd round pick.
  7. rags747

1,101 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Listen I love Parcells, have never enjoyed press conferences as much as his...they were truly enlightening, the carnival only comes through town every so often...I love it, but tell me the man was not pig headed. My point was that we spent a 3rd...the kid should have been given more of a chance than he got, but then I guess we had so much qb talent on those teams that we just could not make that happen. Pig headed for sure.
  8. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,175 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I'll always love Henson for the fact he gave us the "he's holding the ball backwards" thread.
  9. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I think he had all the physical tools. But his ability to process information was what was holding him back. Leaving football early to play baseball did not help his growth either. One has to wonder if he plays his college then goes to the NFL if he would have progressed into a better player.
  10. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    "SM: IT WOULD BE HARD FOR ME TO SAY I WOULDN’T HAVE REGRETS, BUT YOU CAN’T GO BACK…

DH: No. I love my life. If I hadn’t left baseball, I wouldn’t have moved to Dallas, I wouldn’t have met my wife, and I wouldn’t have the family we’re about to have. That in itself justifies all the decisions I’ve made. I mean, I’ll be good. I’ve saved my money, we have a comfortable life, and I’m coaching baseball. If you told me when I was 15 that I’d work for the Yankees, and be a coach and have a wonderful life, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. There have been some bumps along the way. It’s been a long 10 years in some regards, but I’m better for it and I’m very excited for this opportunity."
  11. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    BP wasn't the only one who was right. ;)
  12. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I love this quote. You're the man, Drew. That's a true Cowboy.
  13. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,369 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    From what I gather by his story, it sure sounds like his impatience to succeed did him in. In any case, he's happy now and that's all that counts.
  14. rags747

1,101 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Exactly, pretty good story. The kid saved his money so he should have a few mil stashed away & he's working for the NY Yankees doing something he loves. Guess it does not get much better than that.
  15. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    JERRUH spent the 3rd.

Jeruh loved him and he was the ONLY reason Henson was around as long as he was

You DID get the point about the other chances he had and blew, RIGHT?

You want to NAME the other QBs that hensons COULD NOT beat out?

Not even 40 year old Vinny.
  16. landroverking

landroverking Well-Known Member

1,475 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Sounds like he's got his head on straight.
  17. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    He was almost too talented for his own good. If he had had more guidance and more patience more the Yankees`front office he probably would have developed as a baseball player. You just can`t rush a guy up to Triple A before he`s had a chance to adjust to pitchers who can throw good off speed pitches at different spots in the count. He held his own up there for the most part given his age but I think rushing him made it hard for him to make that quantum leap at the AAA level.

I remember wishing he was going to turn into our future starter. He definitely was rushed too much in Dallas playing in his rookie year. He probably shouldn`t have seen the field until his 3rd year so he could get his football skills back. Regardless, I remember that he wasn`t lighting up NFL Europe so he may have just been one of those college QBs who can`t make the next step up to NFL competition. Leaving the game for 3 years made it harder to make the switch back but I still think he just always would have struggled in the NFL. It is just a very difficult skill set to be able to make reads quickly and throw the ball to tightly covered receivers in the league while 300 pound bodies are falling around your feet and guys are licking their chops to get a clean shot at you while you stand there like a sitting duck. Very few people can do it.

It is a shame the way the Yankees handled him. I think they thought they could do no wrong with him and pushed him way too hard. Also definitely a terrible idea to throw him to the wolves at Columbus (home of Ohio St.) when he had just been the Michigan QB the last two years. Monumental stupidity there.

He has a solid head on his shoulders and looks like he prepared well for life after baseball. He has found himself a good job doing something he loves, has a family and is financially secure. He has done very well for himself in the end and I`m really happy for him for all the abuse he endured in his pro career.
  18. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

856 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Two words. Russell Wilson.
  19. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Romo.

:)
  20. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Clearly BP was worried about the gunslinger part of Romo and that was probbably why he waited as long as he did to pull Bledsoe. But also he seemed to believe that Romo would be a starter.

Henson had how many chances with other teams and did NOTHING?

Suddenly its all BP's fault poor Henson never made it in the NFL. BS.