1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Droid which one?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by KJJ, Oct 11, 2010.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

21,790 Messages
    5,000 Likes Received
    I'm currently with Verizon and am looking to upgrade my phone. I would prefer the iphone but would hate going back to AT&T because I never cared much for their call quality. At least with the iphone there's no confusion because they have one model. With the Droid they have several to choose from the Droid X, Droid 2, Droid incredible and Droid R2D2 am I leaving out any? LOL Can someone give me the differences between these models and which one would you pick?

2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

45,394 Messages
    3,982 Likes Received
    Wait til January and get the iPhone on Verizon.

3. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That's what I'm doing.

4. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

4,661 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    I think this is complicating things a bit. Droid has numbered versions just like software that gets updates, I.E. Firefox 3.6 or whatever I am running.

Incredible and X are phones. I think that they are both have Droid 2.1

5. KJJ

21,790 Messages
    5,000 Likes Received

I've been hearing rumors for awhile the iphone was coming to Verizon but so far nothing. If it's finally coming in Jan I will wait.

6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

36,661 Messages
    4,355 Likes Received
    The date isn't set, it is rumorred to appear in the first quarter of 2011. (as late as March) Though even that isn't in stone.

7. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,595 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Unless the term fee is huge I'm getting ready to dump ATT for Cellular South and get a droid based phone.

8. KJJ

21,790 Messages
    5,000 Likes Received
  9. theogt

45,394 Messages
    3,982 Likes Received
    The Wall Street Journal first reported the January 2011 Verizon iPhone a couple months ago. This was their first report on the Verizon iPhone and I wouldn't take anything they report as just rumor. They reiterated their report again a week or so ago and now the New York Times has independently verified.

Like all things tech, it could get pushed back for months (i.e., still waiting on the white iPhone 4), but for now it appears January 2011 is the date.

10. Duane

Duane Well-Known Member

6,946 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Going to get a new T-Mobile droid phone as well but I'm waiting for the Vibrant to come down in price or see what else is being released in the next few months.

11. KJJ

21,790 Messages
    5,000 Likes Received
    There's been rumors from various sources for over a year that the iphone was coming to Verizon. I don't take what the Wall Street Journal reports as rumor but prior to their report the iphone coming to Verizon was rumor.

12. theogt

45,394 Messages
    3,982 Likes Received
    Yes, rumors have existed since the iPhone came out. I'm just saying that these aren't your typical rumors.

13. Sam I Am

36,661 Messages
    4,355 Likes Received
    It was reported that production on the Verizon iPhone has or was about to start. This is why it was predicted for the first quarter of 2011. I never heard January as being a sure thing. Personally, I would be very surprised if they were able to have a January release. IF in fact that do, I bet it will be a limited supply.

...course that is what they always do. (limited supply releases) It's part of the Apple Hype Machine.

14. theogt

45,394 Messages
    3,982 Likes Received
    Or it could be production limitation issues (see white iPhone 4). I guess there really aren't comparisons to go by since no other phone sells anywhere near as many.

15. KJJ

21,790 Messages
    5,000 Likes Received

There's no question now that the iphone is coming to Verizon it was inevitable at some point the only question left is when exactly. It appears it will be sometime after the New Year. Once Verizon does start offering it we'll have to see how their version compares with AT&T's version and if there's any issues.

16. Sam I Am

36,661 Messages
    4,355 Likes Received
    RIM, Samsung, LG, Ericsson, Motorola, Nokia? All of them sell more phones than Apple.

Smartphone Sales for 2nd Quarter 2010

17. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,595 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Don't waste your time. Theo is an iphone homer and won't accept there are better options. :laugh2:

18. theogt

45,394 Messages
    3,982 Likes Received
    Oh, yes, they sell more total phones, regardless of model, over long periods. Duh.

But we weren't talking about that were we? No, we were talking sales of a single phone model at launch.

19. Sam I Am

36,661 Messages
    4,355 Likes Received
    Over the long haul? Those are sales in one quarter.

Your single model phone is stupid to bring up. Apple generally only sells one model of the iphone at any given time. Android buyers actually have a choice, so they will buy different models. Android phones straight up outsold iPhones in the second quarter of 2010. You cannot dispute that.

20. theogt

45,394 Messages
    3,982 Likes Received
    C'mon now. You're not intentionally being dense are you?

The conversation was about "limited supply releases." My point was that it could be production issues and that we don't have any comparisons because no other phone model sells as many units on release.

Then you go and show completely irrelevant quarterly cell phone numbers for an entire company.