1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DTs/NTs in the draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by silverbear, Apr 18, 2012.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As I mentioned in my post on the DEs, I think the Boys should be more focused on finding a stumpy widebody to clog up the middle instead of adding a DE, because I think this new, smaller version of the Rat will make a nice DE...

Now, if he was to bulk back up to the 305-310 pound range, I'd be singing a different tune, but he's just gotten too small to be effective on the nose, IMO... last season was not his finest effort...

That said, I really, really hope the rumors that the Boys like Michael Brockers from LSU in the first round are incorrect... that guy doesn't do much for me... ditto Dontari Poe, that athletic underachiever from Memphis... I don't want to use my first round pick on any underachiever...

Basically, I say stay away from NTs in the first round... now, in the second round range, there are a coupla intriguing prospects (intriguing to me, anyway)-- Brandon Thompson from Clemson and Mike Martin from Michigan... many scouts think Martin is more of a 4-3 DE, but the guy is blessed with an extremely powerful physique, and I think he could go nose to nose with 350 pound offensive guards...

Move ahead to the 4th or 5th round range, and you might target Hebron Fangupo from BYU or Josh Chapman from Alabama... then in the 7th round, you can pick from Nicolas Jean-Baptiste from Baylor or Ishmaa'ily Kitchen from Kent State...

I think I'd go with Fangupo if he's still on the board in the 5th, or either Jean-Baptiste or Kitchen in the 7th (I mentioned in an earlier thread that my master plan would involve drafting a big NT in the 7th, these are the two players I had in mind)...