1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Dwayne Harris released for Loper

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by kevinhickey, Oct 19, 2011.

1. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

324 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Well Robinson must of made a real impression because Harris is gone. Jerry signed OG Lopper.
  2. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lopper? What's his first name? I did a vary quick search and came up dry. Anyone have any info on the guy?
  3. Greatestalltime

Greatestalltime Benched

135 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Loper, 6-6, 320 pounds, has started nine of 58 games over six seasons with Tennessee, Detroit and Oakland. He was a fifth-round pick of the Titans in 2005.
  4. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,568 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    Yikes, well I guess at this point there isn't much to choose from unless you're willing to make a trade and spend real money.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,216 Likes Received
    Good grief. Arkin is that bad, huh?
  6. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I'm glad to see some vet support for this young OL if he works out. Hope he has been staying in shape, Montrae Holland, too. Hope Holland has been running to develop some stamina, too.

It boggles my mind that Holland came into camp overweight and out of shape. As a former athlete, I cannot imagine that but obviously there's a lot of it going around. Nobody ever beat me because I was out of shape; if I lost it was to a better athlete after my best effort just wasn't good enough. All one can do is his best but one has to be in good shape to be able to do his best.

I like what Lou Holtz had to say about motivation - "Motivation is easy, you cut those who aren't motivated."

Hope these new signees turn in some good games.

Life is good, even for old farts.
  7. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Leonard Davis is still out there. :D
  8. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Arkin is a project, why is that so hard to accept? The fact he's still on the team speaks to his potential and the team's willingness to develop him. I'm fine with that.
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Coming up to the draft everyone said that's he's a year away both because of playing at a tiny school and needing much more strength. You can overcome one of the two (most rookie OL are not strong enough) but you can rarely overcome both and start in that rookie year.
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,974 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Not only this, Holland and Loper add depth to a line that has some injury concerns at both starting guard positions.
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,127 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    Loper strikes me as a 'utility lineman'. Someone who may not be starting quality but can help out in a pinch at several positions. He played tackle in college and some in the pros as well, but he's also played left guard.

This team was taking a risk having only conversion project Jermey Parnell at tackle.

I expect that Holland will start on Sunday - for better or worse - and that Loper will be a fallback option for further injury at guard or tackle.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,384 Messages
    3,724 Likes Received
    I agree. I like Arkin but he needs an off season in the weight room to have a better chance. The lockout really hurt guys like Arkin around the league.
  13. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    A lot of fans seem to always have trouble with this.
  14. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,974 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Holland can be a quality guard if he's motivated. I hope, however, he is not relied upon to be a starter this Sunday! :eek:
  15. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,127 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    I think that's where the team is likely to go.

He was here throught the preseason (despite my best hopes!) so he obviously knows the playbook.

I would expect to see Holland start with Kowalski being the #6 lineman in case (or when) he struggles with his conditioning.

I don't see a better option right now.
  16. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,568 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    I had not noticed that,,, I did notice that fans didn't like the team counting on low round rookies and a 1yr undrafted free agent to start. Very few like the thought of taking a "rebuilding" approach to a vital area on a team that has a shrinking window and is so close to contending.

I've got a problem with Arkin starting, but I've got no problem with having him on the team.
  17. alancdc

alancdc Active Member

3,295 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Wow, didn't see this coming. I'm sure he didn't either.
  18. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is how I am. I understand we have to have developing players, and I am willing to give them time to do that. I do think we should have brought in a reliable veteran or two to help with the transition though instead of relying so heavily on 1st time starters and rookies.
  19. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    could it also speak to the potential that we either dont have good players on this line or our OL coach isnt that good. For an example of a good OL coach see the Giants guy, he can plug any player in and that team doesnt miss a beat.
  20. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think dockery will start sunday,he said he will be ready.