1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Dwayne Harris seeing role on offense expand: Tony Romo ‘knows I’m a reliable receiver

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 13, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,916 Likes Received
    By Barry Horn / Reporter
    bhorn@dallasnews.com
    11:48 pm on December 12, 2012 | Permalink

For the first time in his two seasons with the Cowboys, Dwayne Harris held court in the Valley Ranch locker room.

Surrounded by media, the second-year wide receiver discussed his expanding role in the offense. Regardless of Bryant’s status against the Steelers, Harris, 25, appears to be growing as a target for Tony Romo.

“The coaching staff is trusting me more to go out and make plays,” Harris said. “I think that has to do with what I’m doing in practice. I’m getting more confident with Tony throwing me the ball and just going and doing my job.”

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...-tony-romo-knows-im-a-reliable-receiver.html/
  2. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I really like this kid and his attitude. He reminds me of a smaller sized DEZ I mean just wait I wouldn't be surprised if we decide to Move on from Austin and role with Dez and Harris as the starters next year. I think this kid has some serious tools, and him and Dez seem to make a great combo.
  3. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,889 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    too bad garrett doesn't see his skill:bang2:

harris >>>>>>>>>x10000000000>>>ogletree.:laugh2:
  4. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,930 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    I wonder what Romo was saying to him after the interception on the deep ball.
  5. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,453 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    I bet Harris didn't play basketball growing up. You gotta box that DB out on a jump ball.
  6. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Yeah. I think Romo was saying he should have pushed the DB out of the way even if it was offensive PI.

But looking back at how bad Moorman was punting, that probably wouldn't have been a good idea. The pass was a much better punt than we would have gotten.
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,906 Messages
    1,370 Likes Received
    I just thought Romo was probably coaching him up on fighting for that ball a bit more.

The pass was under thrown, obviously, and that's going to happen from time to time so I'm sure Romo was using that as a teaching moment to tell the kid he's got to make a better attempt to comeback to and/or fight for the ball as well.
  8. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    I would be very surprised if we 'moved on from Austin'. He has a cap-friendly contract and almost 1000 yards on the year.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    Huge underthrow by Tony, but I don't blame him at all really. He was, as always, under duress and had to toss that thing a long ways. Harris got behind the secondary by 5-10 yards...he was very open. But by the time Romo could escape to get the throw off, it was too late.

I think Harris knows he needs to come back and battle more for that ball. Not sure about the boxing out thisng because in basketball terms, he did not have position (was coming up from behind).
    On the sideline, Romo was correctly telling him for sure to fight harder though. That is a strength of Harris'--his physicality--so he should have used it.

In the end though, that pick was way better than the punt that would have followed. it was actully ended up being a plus play, except on the stat sheet.
  10. DFWJC

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    Not sure how many recall last preseason when Harris caught a pass over the middle and raced, pretty much untouched, for about a 70 yard TD.

Well, I thought he had a shot at that again last game but he instead had his first drop. The ball was a bit behind him, but he had separated from his man over the middle and there was a ton of daylight ahead. Missed opportunity there. I did like him fighting for the first down on another catch, but last game was not his best by any means.
  11. Denim Chicken

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    The risk/reward ratio on that pass made it a good decision to throw it up for grabs--glad Tony realized that. I bet Dez pulled that one down, though.
  12. Denim Chicken

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    I don't remember that. Are you thinking about Holley?
  13. DFWJC

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OJ483v7Qj4

Last year, in his 1st preseason game. Harris had about 130 yards receiving and two TDs. I re-looked at that play on utube. It does look more like he went over the middle, sat down on the route, then took off....vs a standard crossing route. The TD was nothing great, I was just thinking the plays looked more alike than maybe they actually did.
  14. DFWJC

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    3:13 mark on the vid

Also, I actually liked the TD catch in traffic in the endzone late in that game better.
  15. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,214 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    This guy looks like hes gonna be a baller.
  16. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting that. I went to that game for free and had never seen the highlights. Good stuff, we win on the two point conversion.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I really like this young guy, he makes plays when the ball is in his hands.
  18. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...he and the other young guys on the team just fed the media with bland cookie cutter sayings.

"I'm just trying to make a play." "I want to earn my keep." "I want to earn Tony's trust."

Don't say stuff about what you think your abilities are. Let your play on the field prove it.

At his level of contribution I would counsel him to shut up and just play. It's not a far gap to go from star to free agent. Just look up Holley and his actions after his TD catch. Where is he now?