1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Eagles’ Jackson scaring off prospective teams

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Dec 7, 2011.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,650 Likes Received
    LINK

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson(notes) has almost gotten to the point that he is radioactive. That’s not good for a pending unrestricted free agent looking to cash in big time during the offseason.

While no one with Jackson’s immense talent is ever completely untouchable, five NFL team personnel executives interviewed by Yahoo! Sports said they would have no interest in pursuing him. Two of the executives’ opinions were strengthened following Jackson’s alarming display Thursday night in which he essentially quit on the Eagles.
  2. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I'd still sign him. He still provides that game-breaking ability so many teams are so sorely lacking.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,771 Messages
    10,054 Likes Received
    Yeah his own stupidity has made a bad situation worse. I was fully on his side in his dispute with the Eagles but sleepwalking through the season and letting his teammates down is just inexcusable.

He's a buyer beware high risk and reward. He could dominate once he's paid but he also can easily shut it down at the first sign of adversity.

Not to mention he's a constant physical risk. The guy's built like an NFL kicker.

I don't want the Cowboys to sign him, but I certainly want him to leave Philadelphia.
  4. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You have "Triple A" as a deep threat and no QB to get him the ball down field consistently. Imagine Jackson in that locker room and no QB to get him the ball. The money you will have to invest to get this guy coupled with his bad attitude will go over lovely. I hope you land him.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I would make sure I protected myself if I was a GM looking to sign him. Kid has great talent but his actions can also cause problems on a team. There is a reason he dropped to the 2nd rd and a reason Philly did not just jump up and give him the contract he wanted.
  6. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Not to excuse his actions Thursday night -- but I understand his resentment. They went and spent a boat load on free-agents, but did not take care of their own. Jackson, at least at the start of the season, deserved to be taken care of. He's played his way out of Philly. One more reason the Cerrato School of Team Building is an utter failure -- year in and year out -- every team that goes on the FA spending spree fails.

His talent is undeniable, as is his baggage. Someone said it above -- he could very well pull a Haynesworth -- loaf once he get paid. However, an incentive laden contract might motivate him properly.
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,950 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    He's got a lot of talent. I don't think anyone denies that.

His ten cent brain he brings with it is not worth the talent.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,608 Messages
    1,191 Likes Received
    We have enough problems handling time outs.
    Why would we want to handle DeSean Jackson?

P.S., The above is not directed to any poster in particular.
  9. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I understand that but as Irvin and Sharpe both said playing like a Professional is something you do all the time.

Irvin wanted Jerry Rice Money and Jones did not give that to Irvin right away but Mike did not pout or slack off he went out and put Jerry Rice numbers up. Having a guy who has an attitude problem when he does not like something is not the guy I want.

Great Talent he has no clue as to what a Professional is
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    I hate, hate, hate the guy. But he changes what a defense does. The pressure he puts on intermediate coverage is unbelievable. So much so, that I'd consider a two year deal with two big annual payments and a club option on year three. He's the kind of player the Pats surprise everyone by taking a shot on.
  11. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I don't know about that. Guys like Moss they brought in they did with smaller contracts same with Ocho who is not done much in NE. Meantime they have guys who may not have that same talent but hussle are team players and make things happen. Like Wes Welker.

What I see in NE outside of Tom Brady there are not major super stars heck many of these guys where not seen as top athletes coming into the NFL. Great teams do not need idiots they need team players who are willing to put it on the line every week
  12. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    To be brutally honest - and I know set myself up for criticism - I would sign the guy to a two year, incentive-laden deal. He would get paid, and I would have safeguards for poor behavior.

I think he would be a tremendous resource for this team, in both the passing and punt return games.

His physical gifts are rare and he takes the lid off of any defense he plays. Not only does he provide a deep threat, but he opens things up for the rest of the offense.

His actions are inexcuseable and I believe that he has done great harm to his marketability, but if I could get him on an incentive-laden deal (maybe similar to Owens' original contract), I would strongly consider it.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    sooner or later he is going to get busted in two pieces. Just a matter of time.

Add that to his ten cent head and no smart team should put any reliance on him or spend any real money on him.
  14. Idgit

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    Moss is actually the comparison I was thinking of. He changed the offense there in the way Jackson can for somebody. He just gets further downfield faster than everyone and stretches underneath coverage so much. That would make our TEs, RBs, and Dez impossible to cover adequately.

He needs money badly, so you have to give him a deal he'll be content with. Just like we did with the first TO deal. Big money, doled out annually.

I'm not saying 'do it.' I get that the guy is poison. But a small dose of poison sure looks tempting when you think about what else it could do for this offense.
  15. Idgit

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    Heh. .
  16. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I would go with one of many top WR coming into the league not someone else’s headache. Jackson has talent no doubt but he is not the only WR who has talent and more young kids are on their way. If I have to go through incentive laden and keeping a close eye on him he is not worth the time.
  17. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    No I wouldn't maybe if there was never going to be a top WR coming to the NFL but look around there are many young kids coming into the NFL right now that are better than Jackson without the baggage. Maybe he needs to know that he is not all that and there are others who have as much talent if not more.
  18. Idgit

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    But Jackson doesn't require a draft pick.

Fundamentally I agree. He's more likely Pacman Jones than he is Randy Moss. But he is good enough to be tempting as a street FA.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,771 Messages
    10,054 Likes Received
    I think people are kidding themselves if you think you can get Jackson for a 2 or 3 year incentive laden deal. He's gonna sign a long term contract at top money. I'm sure it's a shallower pool of teams that will be interested after his antics this year but there will still be enough interest for that to happen.

He's got Washington Redskin written all over him.
  20. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,938 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    The Eagles will chalk this up as a lost year, franchise him then extend him near midseason of 2012.