1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Eagles fire D-line coach (again) after game...

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Floaty, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

750 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Wow!!!:laugh2:
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,386 Messages
    8,280 Likes Received
  3. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,697 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Its about attitude. He was upset after Babin release. Plus he does his own thing with the Wide 9.
  4. Risen Star

21,386 Messages
    8,280 Likes Received
    Reid just announced that Foles will be the starter the remainder of the season, despite Vick being a possibility to be cleared medically for next week.
  5. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Save Andy Reid!
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,377 Messages
    6,069 Likes Received
    There's some crazy-dysfunction going on in Philly these days.
  7. Risen Star

21,386 Messages
    8,280 Likes Received
    Just before he walked away from the podium to abruptly signal the end of his own press conference, Eagles head coach Andy Reid made a stunning admission that he had fired the wrong assistant coach.

Reid shouldn’t have fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo on Oct. 16 when he sought ways to improve his foundering 3-3 team, which had just blown a 10-point lead to Detroit in the fourth quarter and lost 26-23 in overtime.

He should have retained his longtime and loyal assistant and parted ways with defensive line coach Jim Washburn, who had become an unpopular and divisive figure inside the NovaCare Complex, according to several team sources and other sources familiar with the situation.

Reid refused to elaborate on his reasons for dismissing Washburn but acknowledged that the move wasn’t exclusively football-related.

“I’m not going to get into all that stuff,” Reid said. “I will tell you there were just things that I was disappointed in and, as time went on, that I knew. I just thought [firing him] was the right thing to do right now for this football team.”

Shortly after Castillo’s firing, friction brewed between Reid and Washburn that made for an uncomfortable environment at the NovaCare Complex. A team source confirmed a report that during the bye week, Reid had ordered the removal of a coffee maker and refrigerator that Washburn had long ago installed in the defensive line classroom. No other position meeting room had such appliances, the source said.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-p...o-botching-Castillo?blockID=809405&feedID=692

-

If Andy Reid is getting rid of a refrigerator, you know he's pissed.
  8. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    I find it so ironic that the Eagles have always been talked about the class of the NFC East and that they run their organization through a legitimate "football man" but they seem to have the same problems we had a few years ago.

Any reasons why? Is Lurie the cause?
  9. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Because football is more art than science, you can't play moneyball with it in one extreme or the other.
  10. Risen Star

21,386 Messages
    8,280 Likes Received
    Well, for one, they have had a backwards front office where the head coach had the say over the GM. Very few head coaches can handle both roles. Reid had great success early and as his responsibility grew his team began to decline.

He's been there too many years. Sooner or later you have to make a change regardless of how good the coach is. It's gotten stale.

I'm not sure if you thought you had a clever point here but the only blame you can lay on Lurie is allowing Reid to have that much control and staying so long. But again, multiple division titles, 4 conference championship games and 1 Super Bowl appearance can buy a coach a little longer leash.

What's happened in Philly is nothing like what has and is happening here. Lurie's not a lunatic. He's not pretending he's a personnel man and, looky here, so is his son. He's not conferencing with the media every week talking about personnel and playing time. He hires guys to run his football operations and gets out of the way. Like a good owner would do.
  11. Bluestang

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Keep moving those goal posts.

Just an observation on my part, so you are saying that the HC had too much power?

As in you need to make decision's as an organization or by committee?
  12. Risen Star

21,386 Messages
    8,280 Likes Received
    I'm not moving any goal posts. I'm telling you the facts.

Yes. I'm saying very few head coaches can do both roles at the same time. Reid had great success in Philly, but the more responsibility he got, the less he was successful. Still, in comparison to here with Harry and Lloyd, he looks like a genius.

No. You do not need to make decisions by an organization or by committee. That's nonsense spewed when your team is held hostage by an insane owner. Hey, look.....nobody's responsible. Nobody's to blame. We're all good with status quo.

All teams, read that again, all teams, communicate top to bottom. But the GM is the one responsible to make the decisions. The GM is the one who is supposed to know better than anyone else in the building. The decisions aren't left up to a simple poll of raised hands but to the expertise of the General Manager of your Football Operations.

So for the life of me I can't figure out why you think you're making a statement here with this Philly situation. One has nothing to do with the other and one has been much more successful than the other.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,469 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    The cause is losing. Andy Reid is still a brilliant offensive coach. It's hard to stay on top forever but Andy had quite a run. I can only guess how difficult it was to lose Johnson.
  14. Bluestang

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    So what exactly does Howie Roseman do all day?

Stock the refrigerators in the players' meeting rooms or make sure the coffee pot is going 24/7?
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yep. I'm still a great admirer of Reid. The Eagles were long overdue a prolonged down cycle after the window closed on the McNabb era. It's just the natural ebb and flow of football. It's been a football eternity since that core of Hugh Douglas, Duce Staley, Tra Thomas, Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent etc. came and gone. Reid managed to turnover and keep the boat afloat longer than most would.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
  17. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,469 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    I don't think Jason would hire Reid and I doubt Reid would be other than a HC but I'd love Reid as the OC/asst HC/passing game coordinator/whatever needed here.