1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Eagles release Babin

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Nov 27, 2012.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,896 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    He had 18 sacks last year. He has 53.5 sacks during his career, which started in 2004. So as a pass rusher he hasn't been consistently elite and has not done near as well this season getting to the QB. He is poor at defending the run.

I don't know about him being overrated because I don't recall many people ever saying he was that great. He basically had a couple of good seasons sacking the QB over 2010 and 2011, but for most of his career has been less than average at creating a pass rush.

He is not worth the money he was being paid, but he could probably help some team at a lower price. I don't see any team putting a claim on him, but after he clears waivers a team or two may have some interest.
  2. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,438 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Doesn't he have enough seniority to choose where he goes?
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,896 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    Butler could get 18 sacks in 3 years, but he would have to get a lot more snaps than he usually gets. I don't think putting Butler in that situation would help Dallas all that much.
  4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,000 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received
    No thanks. Doesn't fit here.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Philly is in a tail spin right now, and franchises in tail spins frequently do dumb/illogical things. He'll get picked up in short order (Atlanta would be a great fit to replace Ray Edwards), and if it's by a team that goes far in the playoffs everyone will go on and on about what a great player he is and what a gift from above he turned out to be.
  6. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    You missed the former, I said that if Butler rushed the outside shoulder every snap like Babin does he could put up his numbers
  7. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,292 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Which results in "you have got to be kidding." Butler isn't in the same zip code as a motivated Babin.
  8. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,040 Messages
    1,240 Likes Received
    With our need for a pass rusher on the D-Line, I think the cowboys should take a look at signing Babin. He's proven to be a very good pass rusher, with an 18 sack season last year. While admittedly I'm not sure if he would make the transition to 3-4 D end, he could probably be a 3rd down/situational pass rusher for us, plus he couldn't be any worse than what we already have in terms of pass rush on the D line :laugh2:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8683453/philadelphia-eagles-cut-jason-babin-year-18-sack-season

(sorry if this has been posted already)
  9. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    The only time Jason Babin has been productive in his career was in the wide9 scheme, I expect him to sign with a team that utilizes that scheme.
  10. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I don't see the point.
  11. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,040 Messages
    1,240 Likes Received
    Because we have borderline no pass rush coming from our D-Line.
  12. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    omg!! We Haz To Sinz Him Fo Sure!!
  13. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    glad he got cut. He's an ***
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,083 Messages
    3,057 Likes Received
    In before the merge.
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,635 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received
    Let's see...

The guy is 32
    He provides no run support
    He's not the pass rusher he was last year
    There are suggestions that he's had some issues in the lockerroom
    His contract is very large for the next two seasons

Pass.
  16. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    So you see him as a 3-4 DE? Because that's pretty much the exact opposite of what he was doing in Philly. He could carve out a niche as a pass rusher on passing downs, but I don't think that's near enough to get us into the playoff hunt, so, yeah, I don't see the point.
  17. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Um, what?

Of course Reid will be fired. Why would this have any impact on Reid's status?
  18. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,040 Messages
    1,240 Likes Received
    Isn't that exactly what I said?

Of course it's not enough for a playoff run. Unless we sign the patriots O line and the entire 49ers defense we're not making the playoffs, but he could be an upgrade at pass rusher for us, of course he would have to be willing to be a situational player and be a 3-4 D End which is a big IF
  19. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    To what end? You don't take on a one-dimensional player in his mid-30s like Babin when you're not looking to make a playoff run.
  20. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He was a complete bust in Houston he has had two good years 12.5 with the Titans & 18 sacks last year.

Despite all that I still take him in a rotation over Butler for the rest of the year. Most years he has gotten 4-5 sacks and this year he has 5.5 before his release.