1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Eagles Retiring #5? What about Dallas retiring #9?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by sadams, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,907 Messages
    1,298 Likes Received
    I would certainly think so.

He's already number 1 in touchdown passes and he should pass Aikman for yards sometime next year. Add a Super Bowl to the mix and I dont see how he wouldn't be.
  2. mrmojo

mrmojo Active Member

824 Messages
    238 Likes Received
    Danny White took the team to 3 straight NFC Championship games and the playoffs in 80, 81, 82, 83 and 85. He had the memorable playoff game against Atlanta in 80, and preserved the playoff win in 78 when Roger got knocked out. He has a lot more skins on the wall than Romo in the playoffs and yet he still would never have his #11 retired. So as for Romo......No........
  3. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,848 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    I would want until he is done playing football, before I made this judgement.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,957 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    Best QB in franchise history vs.....ehh 3rd best QB in franchise history. You see why theres a big difference?
  5. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Too early to tell for Romo. He's career isn't over yet. He's certainly on his way as far as stats.
  6. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

3,830 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Eagles have lower expectations.
  7. mrmojo

mrmojo Active Member

824 Messages
    238 Likes Received
    That is true, not much QB history in Philadelphia, maybe Jaws #7 should be retired too, he got them to their first Super Bowl. I still have Meredith ahead of Romo.....maybe even White ahead of him...but Romo's carreer is not done yet, so we will see.
  8. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,904 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    The Cowboys have never retired a number.

8, 12 and 74 have been taken out of the rotation, but they are not officially retired.

No reason to start now.
    panchucko likes this.
  9. sadams

sadams Well-Known Member

1,147 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    I thought Jaws # is retired?
  10. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,073 Messages
    820 Likes Received
    Ha ... He would be run out of this town on a rail
  11. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,073 Messages
    820 Likes Received
    That is arguable
  12. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    1,188 Likes Received
    I will always have Romo at #5 until he does something in the playoffs.
    tantrix1969 likes this.
  13. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,073 Messages
    820 Likes Received
    This x 100. Tony has to produce playoff wins. In the plural. The bar has been set here. Now here's hoping he gets it done. I'm pulling for the kid.
  14. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    If he wins a Super Bowl he's a lock, if he gets to a Super Bowl he has a really good shot, if he gets to a couple Nfc championship games I'd say his chances are 50/50. The way things have been going NO WAY.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,498 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    Every Franchise is different. Eagles are certainly not the Cowboys. I understand why they retired McNabb and that's fine but I hope I never see a player get their number retired in Dallas for almost winning.

Nope, I don't think so.

HOF and/or Super Bowl or Franchise numbers and Multiple Super Bowls if he doesn't get into the HOF.

Already explained above.

I sure hope not. That only brings down the other players in the ring IMO. I wouldn't do it.
  16. benson

benson Active Member

510 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Honestly, to those who have watched Romo's entire career and have had huge expectations considering his raw talent, he doesn't deserve to get in. To be an UDFA and have so much potential, so much natural ability at the QB position, and to be in such an amazing position as the face of the Dallas Cowboys, and to not take advantage of it to become the best player he can be? He found himself in the opportunity of a lifetime being behind Drew "Statue" Blesdsoe and being the only serviceable backup. There are some people who would not allow themselves to be in the situation Romo now finds himself in, the alpha (Brady, Manning, Aikman) personalities. The go take it because its yours and nobody is going to deny you what is yours personality. Romo is complacent, satisfied with what he has, an amazing job and a family. There is nothing wrong with that outside of championship football.

A player who considers himself to be blessed to wear the star and be compared to the likes of Staubach and Aikman does not let himself regress from the player he was in 06,07,11, etc. All Romo needed to do to take the next step was practice and practice avoiding the bone-headed turnover, especially in crucial situations. People mention that Romo needed to dial back the gun-slinger in him to take the next level. No, no he didn't. Most of his turnovers have always been blatant mistakes, brain farts if you will, (gunning the ball into the numbers of a defender, fumbles, receivers running wrong routes) not turnovers because he was slinging and the throw was inaccurate. Most of Romo's errant throws aren't due to the difficulty of "gun-slinging" and throwing an inaccurate pass on the run, etc, there because he has a lapse in judgment and either the defense tricks him or he tricked himself. The "gunslinger" was what gave him the potential to have his jersey hung up and the mental-lapses are what he needed to overcome. Instead he ditched the gunslinger and the mental-lapses still remain. Most recently the nullified interception against the Chiefs followed by a bullet into a defenders chest comes to mind. Not to mention the obvious physical regression, dude looks like a chubby kid running for his life instead of the escape-artist of the past.

I do hope I'm wrong.
  17. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,848 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Say what you want about Donovan, but 5 NFC championship games is nothing to sneeze at, not to mention a Chunky soup commercial and often staying at a Holiday Inn.
  18. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,251 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    This thread instantly reminded me of Greg Focker and his Wall of Awards - 5th place and higher lol

[IMG]

"I didn't know they gave awards for 9th place" ?? o_O o_O
  19. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,251 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    Say what you want about Terrell Owens. He was the only worth a dam in that SuperBowl... while McNabb was blowing Chunky soup chunks during crunch time.
  20. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    1,188 Likes Received
    5 NFC Championship games and a SB appearance looks good to me right now. At least he played in title games.