1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Eagles Retiring #5? What about Dallas retiring #9?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by sadams, Sep 20, 2013.

1. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,358 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    Some posters just like to throw punches below the belt, so they bash him by questioning his intelligence. They themselves don't have the mental capacity to comprehend why he makes those mistakes in the first place. When you're asked to throw the ball 650 times with no running game, you're going to make mistakes.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,498 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    Yeah, it is. I view it differently but the language or idea, perhaps, is the same. You call it Tomato, I call it Subaru.

:D
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  3. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,877 Messages
    1,198 Likes Received
    Haha... fair enough.
  4. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Maybe they can retire the number now, as well as the player now. Maybe not
  5. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,877 Messages
    1,198 Likes Received
    I would settle just for the player.
  6. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    I'm speaking more offensively. It was Westbrook and TO.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,289 Messages
    3,603 Likes Received
    As a UDFA I'm not sure we can call Romo an underachiever.
  8. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

738 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Yea I know..Danny at least took us to a few NFC games and was always a playoff contender. You just never knew which year was going to be it for him at the time . But Romo....smh
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013
  9. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,711 Messages
    818 Likes Received
    During the SB era the most successful seasons Philly had were with McNabb at QB which is why he was honored. The most successful seasons the Cowboys had were with Staubach and Aikman who combined for 5 SB wins. Romo has done little but put up good regular season numbers that have led to nothing in the end. A QB who has a 1-3 playoff record doesn't deserve to be honored
  10. KJJ

10,711 Messages
    818 Likes Received
    Underachiever? The odds on an undrafted FA QB becoming a starting NFL QB is slim and none. There's only been about 8 undrafted FA QB's in the history of the NFL who became viable starting NFL QB's. When Romo arrived in Dallas in 03 he was just another player trying to make the team. If someone predicted he would eventually become a franchise QB and sign $108 million deal 10 years later we would have all thought they were nuts. Romo has overachieved but once a player reaches a certain plateau expectations grow and Romo hasn't lived up to them.
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  11. LongSnapper

LongSnapper Member

747 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    No way, think of the great great players who have achieved more than what you stipulate that do not have that honor. Tony as it stands right now has a long row to hoe to get to jersey retierment.
  12. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,034 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    Romo has already been in the NFL for what..10 years?

4 as a backup before getting his chance and now 6 more years as its starter..?

And you think he will be a good as McNabb?

Oh my.

Don't see it.

I mean, chasing retired QBs is not the issue.

It's about chasing the Eli's and the Peyton's and the Bree's and now the Kapernicks and the Dalton's and the Shaubs of the world.

Romo has to beat them and worry about Mc Nabb after he retires.
  13. KJJ

10,711 Messages
    818 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys reach a SB with Romo and he ends up with 0 rings because of another one of his mega meltdowns we probably will "hang" #9 right beside the big screen.
    mrmojo likes this.
  14. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,592 Messages
    13 Likes Received

I would agree with your statement if Romo was in his second or third season, he's not though.
  15. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,592 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Isn't by definition underachieving to not live up to expectations? Ofcoarse expectations are highly subjective and vary from fan to fan.

Craig
  16. KJJ

10,711 Messages
    818 Likes Received
    To reach the level Romo has he had to overachieve because the odds were way against him as undrafted FA. Any undrafted FA who becomes a starter in the NFL especially a QB has to far exceed the expectations teams had for them coming out of college. You're speaking of the Romo today who's become a franchise QB and has teased the hell out of us with some terrific performances. He hasn't achieved a SB but he's still one of the most productive QB's in the NFL which is why some FANS love him despite his elimination game failures.

They've fallen in love with his Houdini escapes that have led to some great plays. His production and career passer rating has some FANS claiming he's the greatest QB in franchise history. His production, great plays and contract has raised everyones expectations and he hasn't lived up to them in the games that matter most.
  17. KJJ

10,711 Messages
    818 Likes Received
    A lot of undrafted free agent QB's never make it to their second or third season.
  18. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,633 Messages
    388 Likes Received
    I can't recall the Cowboys ever retiring a jersey or number.
  19. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,073 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    This thread cracks me up
  20. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Maybe it's time for a little Johnny football.