1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Eagles Retiring #5? What about Dallas retiring #9?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by sadams, Sep 20, 2013.

1. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,849 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    Flacco was just about mistake free during his playoff run. I do not believe Romo can be that type of player/QB for us.
    Its going to take luck and all the stars aligning correctly for Romo to win not only another playoff game but to run through playoffs and win SB. I just dont see it with him.

And I am pro Romo and like him. But he is what he is.

Flacco should get more credit than he did/does.
    Eli too, I dont care for him but he got it done twice. SB MVP twice.

Cant hate on THAT!
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  2. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,600 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I think at the end of the day there is no black and white answer to describe Romo; only shades of grey. Would I agree that Romo overachieved early on in his career? Yes. Have I seen him as an overachiever these past few seasons? Nope.

At the same time there is another way to look at Romo. Is he as mobile or physically gifted as an RGIII or Vick? Not even close. Is he as cerebral as P Manning? Nope. Does he have the arm strength of a Favre or Cutler? Nope. So when I look at Romo from a purely physical presence I see an overachiever. To be honest his claim to fame is improvising on the fly, sandlot football if you will. I think the problem with improv is that it's hard to have consitant results as there are too many variables changing at any given time.

On a positive note there is alot of football to go and things can change quite dramatically in a short period of time in the NFL.

Craig
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,778 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    The problem with Romo is he has the same flaws he had when he first took over the team in 06. He hasn't really changed from the QB he was 7 years ago. He's been productive from the day he took over the team but he continues to struggle with ill-timed turnovers and decision making especially in critical games. Several seasons have ended with him tanking. I'm certainly not putting all the blame on him for those loses but in 7 elimination games he has 12 turnovers. At times it's hard to believe no one ever drafted him but at other times you see why no one ever did. Like Parcells said Romo has warts.
  4. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,600 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I can't really disagree with any of this. To be fair to Romo though; all players have warts, some just have more than others.

Craig
  5. roy31

roy31 Active Member

243 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I think Mcnabs jersey being retired is laughable and I live in Syracuse and am a
    CUSE fan.
  6. KJJ

10,778 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    It's not good for a QB to have too many warts and I meant "losses" in my previous post.
  7. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

916 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    That's a very good description and analysis of Romo's game, Craig. Especially that last part.
  8. KJJ

10,778 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    That tells you how sad a history the Eagles have had.
  9. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I love that the Cowboys never retire jerseys. I love it.
  10. roy31

roy31 Active Member

243 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    yes it does and lets hope it continues.
  11. KJJ

10,778 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    I haven't seen anything the past 3 games that says it won't.
  12. roy31

roy31 Active Member

243 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    agreed
  13. KJJ

10,778 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    If it wasn't for McNabb Philly would be holding a Ron Jaworski day.

[IMG]
  14. KJJ

10,778 Messages
    855 Likes Received
  15. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,777 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    There. Whew. Fixed it for ya. ;)
  16. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,777 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    My two cents...

No ring?
    No ring...
  17. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    If Cowboys were to retire numbers, I could think of 10 numbers before retiring number 9.
  18. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

2,403 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    My issue with Tony is that IMO, he has forsaken his natural athletic ability and squandered almost all of it with piss poor off-season conditioning. Gone are the scrambling ability, the nimble footwork, the shoulder shake, the bootleg roll outs... he's half the athlete he was three years ago and now he's lost his gumption to throw in the tight windows. All that remains is the + NFL arm and his release, which looks tampered with and he's giddy about for whatever reason. Someone who has failed miserably in clutch situations time and time again should recommit to the game in the off-season, and Tony hasn't and it's clear will not.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  19. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,777 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    So sad but completely true. He is clearly on the downstroke. All we can hope is that he can put it together one last time to lead an improved supporting cast to the big dance.
  20. nickjamesw43

nickjamesw43 Active Member

389 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    McNabb is an interesting case. He doesn't have elite numbers and he hasn't won a championship. Usually that combination is going to torpedo a player's legacy. Yet when you think about the 2000-2005 era in pro football he is one of the first names that comes to mind. He was, although not elite, a good player and very much historically significant. In some sense these kinds of honors are about remembering the history of the league.

There is little doubt in my mind that had McNabb done that for Dallas he would be in the ROH. He is just too iconic not to be in. The thing that holds White back more then anything is longevity. There were only four seasons where he played more then 10 games and he only started 92 games as a Cowboy. In comparison Romo is at 95 and counting and McNabb started 161.

If White had played 10 years at the level he played at from 1980-1983 he would no doubt be in the ROH. Even if he had never won a championship during that time frame he has a good case. Very under appreciated player during his prime.
    mrmojo likes this.