1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Early look at Playoffs if the season ended today

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Doomsday101, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,235 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    Granted this is way too pre-mature but ran across this at MSNBC and thought I would share it with the board.

Wild-card round, Jan. 7-8

No. 5 Giants (6-3) at No. 4 Cowboys (6-3, NFC East leaders)

No. 6 Falcons (6-3) at No. 3 Bears (6-3, NFC North leaders)

Second round, Jan. 14-15

Lower-ranked team at No. 1 Seahawks (7-2, NFC West leaders)

Higher-ranked team at No. 2 Panthers (7-2, NFC South leaders)
    Explaining the seedings:

Seahawks seeded ahead of Panthers by better record against NFC (Seattle 6-1, Carolina 5-1)

Bears seeded ahead of Cowboys by better record against NFC (Chicago 5-1, Dallas 5-2)

Giants seeded ahead of Falcons by better record against NFC (N.Y. 5-2, Atlanta 3-2)

Falcons seeded ahead of Bucs by better record against division (Atlanta 1-0, Tampa 0-1)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3700009/?pg=24#anc_NFL_playoffs_05
  2. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,786 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    Seattle looks to have the easier schedule of the teams in contention and they are 7-2. Likely the NFC championship game will be played in Seattle.

I think the gianst are going to fall off a little in the second half and be fighting for wc spot.

Chicago has it rough and i think they could go 3-4 the rest of the season, but will still probably win their division unless GB or Minn makes a great run, still that division will post the division leader with the worst record, IMO.

Then you have Atlanta, Carolina, TB all having to play each other 2 times, that is the division that's up for grabs.

So the question in my mind is what do the cowboys have to do to get a first round bye, they have to make a good run here, loose no more than 2 games to end at 11-5 and hope that TB, Atlanta and Carolina all split, and i think they will have to beat Carolina.

I think if cowboys end up 12-4 they get a bye, im not really confident they can do this, but they will probably need 12-4 or 11-5 with a win in carolina.