1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Easy Healthy Breakfast?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by dez_for_prez, Aug 3, 2012.

1. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    So Monday-Friday I stop and get a coffee and a bagel/breakfast sandwich. In an attempt to save money I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for an easy, quick breakfast. During high school I used to drink those instant breakfast but they are kinda terrible.I have started making my own coffee but I need a snack to hold me over till 10. Any help is appreciated.
  2. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    -Oatmeal with walnuts, cranberries and/or blueberries with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
    -Yogurt with fresh fruits and granola.
    -A couple of boiled eggs, toast, and fresh fruit. Put eggs in a small pot with enough water to cover the eggs. Bring to a boil, turn off stove, and let sit for 5 minutes for perfectly cooked boiled eggs.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,881 Messages
    3,824 Likes Received
    I eat cereal pretty much everyday. When I get burnt out, then I'll fix some eggs and turkey sausage. They don't take long to fix. If I'm not doing meat, then I'll eat spinach and eggs.

If I'm going to the office, then I take a yogurt, a granola bar, and an apple/orange. And I drink the Flavia coffee that the job provides.

I may do oatmeal/grits in the winter. For some reason, I can't eat it in the hotter months.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What exactly is a grit?

That isn't a question, it's a quote. :laugh2:
  5. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

Vinny: "What this, over here?"
    Cook: "You never heard of grits?"
    Vinny: "Sure, sure I heard of grits, I just actually never *seen* a grit before."

6. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,745 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    glass of chocolate milk --1/4 cup oatmeal ---two teaspoons of coffee beans-table spoon of olive oil--handful of frozen fruit--dash of cayenne pepper--
    throw it in a blender --pour in jar with lid and refeg till morning --shake it up and drink --keep you going till one oclock

I add a little protein powder and a tablespoon of coconut powder
  7. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    That's pretty serious. Substitute the olive oil with flax seed oil and that is a perfect breakfast right there. Although, from what I've read nothing is better than eggs.
  8. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,282 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Glass with ice
    Celery salt, worcestshire, tobasco, squeeze of lemon, dash of olive juice, Zing Zang...oh, and a shot or two of Smirnoff. Done.
  9. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,714 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    ...but you also want it on a budget.

I hate to say, but you are going to have to look at process breakfast food or some batch cooking.

If you don't mind opening a box there are lots of options in the grocery store.

If you want to give batch cooking a try. Think different recipes to cook something like porridge. The porridge is the base to a "stick to your ribs" meal to start the day. You can figure out which topppings you want to add to give it flavour. From honey to cinnamon and all manner of flavours in between you can make a better tasting offering than the instant varieties.

If you start your day with whole grains or, even better, alternative grains you will have alot of substance without spiking your blood sugar levels. You body will love you for the great start you give it.
  10. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,610 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Crack three eggs into a cup, throw in some chopped veggies, put a lid on it and shake it up. Then pour it on a skillet. Instant omlet
  11. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,555 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Instant quaker oats, the non-flavored original kind. I've been eating them with a little honey and cinnamon with toast every morning for the last year. You can buy a 10 lb bag (2 month's supply for me) for 7.50 at sams club.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    A 44oz Coke and few smokes will carry you till lunch. If you start feeling hunger pains, get a refill.
  13. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,665 Messages
    2,384 Likes Received
    Oatmeal is great, but get the quick kind... Much healthier than the instant ones. Still only takes two minutes in the microwave.

Even better, buy a mini-sized crock pot for about $15 or under. Get some steel cut oats (or even better some whole groats) in bulk from a Whole Foods or similar grocery store, and put them in the slow cooker over night. Wake up to warm, awesome tasting oatmeal. Very filling, too. (And cheap.)

Throw a scoop of protein powder in it and you're gold.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,648 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    I usually have a strawberry/banana yogurt and chop up a banana and put that in it. That gets me to noon easily.
  16. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    3 scrambled eggs, piece of wheat toast, an orage or slice of canteloupe while it's cooking.
  17. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll definitely be trying some out.

This is what one of the guys I work with does, lunch too. :laugh2:
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,308 Messages
    6,273 Likes Received
    Smoke and a pancake?

Flapjack and a cigarette? No?

Cigar and a waffle? Pipe and a crepe? Bong and a blintz?

Well then there is no pleasing you.
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    It works. I have been doing it for years. I usually have Cokes and smokes until supper time, then have supper. It's good stuff. Try it, problem solved.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    :lmao: