1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Eatman: Don’t Expect Same Free-Agency Splash As 2012

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 8, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,374 Messages
    4,321 Likes Received
    Nick Eatman
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

As we celebrate this holiday known as National Signing Day, it brings me back to a day or two last March.

The fax machines were blowing up with contract offers here at Valley Ranch. The Cowboys got Brandon Carr and Kyle Orton, followed by Nate Livings and Dan Connor. From a free agency standpoint, the Cowboys were one of most aggressive teams last year and jumped right in the mix early.

Hope that was fun for the fans. Don’t expect that to happen this year when free agency begins in mid-March.

In fact, do you remember what happened in 2010? Of course you don’t because nothing happened, other than re-signing unrestricted free agent Montrae Holland to a two-year deal about a month into free agency. But that was it.

Read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...-As-2012/00d006e2-e929-4637-8820-3dad151664c4
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,674 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    I am not sure if he is saying the Cowboys will not make a splash or will not be active in free agency. I do not see the Cowboys going after high profile players unless they somehow find a way to resign Spencer. However, I definitely see the Cowboys going after some non-superstar solid players, especially in the areas where they perceive they are weak or in areas where they are concerned about the players we have transitioning to Kiffin's 4-3 defense.

/reality
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,919 Messages
    1,303 Likes Received
    Agreed. I think some Dan Connor signings - ironically - will happen. Nothing flashy, just guys who get the job done.
  4. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Good point.

What's interesting about last year was that the Cowboys went for both quality (Carr) and quantity. So I don't think we should expect to repeat that very often.

Eatman says at the bottom he expects them to do "a few things", with no big signings (unless you count Spencer, which he doesn't expect to happen). That sounds about right to me, depending on how you define 'few'. It's not a totally coherent article, though, as he spells out a lot of ways the Cowboys can clear up a lot of money to spend.
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,181 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    It's all a big guess until March 12.

I think they go after Brandon Moore if in fact Free is released and Parnell is penciled in as a starter.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,811 Messages
    7,177 Likes Received
    I don't expect much of anything in FA this year. Which is why I wouldn't have wasted 50 million on Carr last year.
  7. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,005 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I'm fine with letting Spencer go and picking up a 3rd rounder for him next year. Then next year we pkg our 1st the following years 1st and maybe a 3rd for Manziel and let him sit on the bench for two yrs and learn from Romo. Yeah I know...Far Fetched.
  8. Risen Star

20,811 Messages
    7,177 Likes Received
    Part of me wants to just take the salary cap medicine now and get it over with. But then you have to consider Romo is getting older and you probably should do whatever you can now to compete.

I think the Jones twins don't know how bad the roster is and will chalk up the 2012 season to injuries. Plan A is to get healthy and coach em up some more. Major roster additions are not needed.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,919 Messages
    1,303 Likes Received
    I think the overhaul of the staff, especially the Rob Ryan firing, suggests otherwise.
  10. Risen Star

20,811 Messages
    7,177 Likes Received
    Add coaching then. If anything, making those coaching changes indicates the talent evaluators on this team, and I use that term loosely, believe the talent is better than the record. Strengthening my position of a pretty inactive offseason in terms of player acquisition this year.
  11. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    More whing anti-Jerry posts. Shocking. But, if you could put away your Jones twins voo doo dolls for a sec., do you actually think Jerry and Stephen were happy with the 2012 season, giving the coaching turnover?
  12. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,005 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Well I definitely know that the OL talent is worse than the record, Romo in most cases hides how crappy our OL really is but when we start to face the good teams even Romo cannot mask it enough...Why can't this team see that and especially Jerry...He was around when our OL was a dominant factor in all of our Championships.
  13. DBOY3141

3,181 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Because he see's how those OL's were built and is trying to do the same thing.

What round was Tunini drafted in?
    How was Nate Newton acquired?
    Stepnoski?
    Gogan?
    Eric Williams?

That was most of the line for 2 of the 3 SB's. We added Larry Allen (2nd round) and got the third ring.

But most of the OL play from 90's were not done by 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders.
  14. Risen Star

20,811 Messages
    7,177 Likes Received
    Right. Romo and the head coach/offensive designer. They can work some magic between the 20's but when the field shrinks in the red zone they can't overcome it.
  15. Risen Star

20,811 Messages
    7,177 Likes Received
    They also weren't put together by the owner and his son.

You have to play the hand you are dealt.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    a once in a generation O line. and you think you can duplicate it the same way. Another fantasy you share with Jerruh
  17. DBOY3141

3,181 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    I don't at all. I was pointing out how Jerry probably see's things.

With the 18th pick, I would draft Jonathan Cooper.
  18. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,954 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    I don't expect us to sign anywhere near as many FAs this year, but I won't be surprised if Jerry makes at least one splash ... probably a DL (although I wish he'd throw in an OL as well).
  19. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Given how fragile Austin is, hope there's room in the budget for an inexpensive FA vet depth WR on a 1-year deal. Maybe reclamation projects like Donald Jones or David Nelson would come cheap.
  20. Risen Star

20,811 Messages
    7,177 Likes Received
    What scares me about the WR position is we don't really have any legit potential down the road starter on the depth chart. Harris, Beasley, Coale are all slot types. So if Austin goes down, we really don't have a guy to plug in without limiting the offense.

It's way down on the needs list but a WR with some size is needed.