1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Eatman: Don’t Expect Same Free-Agency Splash As 2012

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 8, 2013.

1. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

4,967 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Yeah! Though comparing pre-salary cap drafting to post salary cap drafting doesn't mesh well either.
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,147 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    I'm not expecting any big splashes but I think they're going to add ball players. There won't be any big splashes, or big names, or fancy moves but ball players are going to be added.

Which is fine by me. Get this team some solid, hard working, players to add depth and some playmaking ability when they're on the field and continue to build.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

33,451 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    I'm guessing they will look at OT, OC/G, CB and S first in FA. I'm hoping for an OT.
  4. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,129 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    still ticked about two things. One, the stupid mishandling of the salary cap by Dallas. That not only is resulting in the predicament this season but the penalty for Austin's contract.

Two, Orton. Why the heck did Dallas pay that much money for a backup QB when the resources were needed for the offensive line?
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,196 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    and on two. A better O line means the need for a backup QB is much less
  6. cujo

cujo Member

61 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Williams and Stepnoski were both 3rd rounders.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

6,753 Messages
    1,446 Likes Received
    i disagree

i think jerry knows HIS clock is ticking just as much as romo's clock is ticking, hence these wholesale changes in coaching

i think he will go for it more than people think

we should sign one OL and one DL, i dont know if they will be "splashes" but both should have real starter potential (unlike livings and bern)

this would free us up to not reach but stick with our board in the draft
  8. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,884 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    I think you answered your own question. With the OL issues they probably didn't expected Tony to complete the season on the field. Closed door meeting.......
  9. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,344 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with the Orton signing at all from last year.

This year, I think we will add around 3-4 guys via FA. Not splash players like Carr, but more of the blue collar, solid guys. And maybe take a flyer on a couple of guys who were thought to be washed up like Sims (at LB) too.

It was very interesting was Kiffen said in one of his interviews. Basically, quite a few of the guys they picked up on defense at TB were not big names whatsoever in FA. Very much middle-of-the road type players who fit the scheme.
  10. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,555 Messages
    401 Likes Received
    I think if we are smart we will tie up Spencer one way or another and look to a Bernadeux-type deal for a young OL player.

And please -- don't make this a "we can't afford Spencer" thread. Enough of that already.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,196 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    if we can get a real good deal ($8 mill or less a year) then keep Spencer. But I doubt that is possible. Some GM will throw a lot of money his way.

last year we probably could have gotten one good guard for the money we spent on those two jags.

Sadly I look for jerruh to do the same this year. Dumpster diving on the O Line then sign a shiny toy