1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Eatman: Jones Explains Statements On Seattle and Chicago Games

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by FuzzyLumpkins, Jan 14, 2013.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,462 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...o-Games-/64595b52-095a-4633-abbd-af2929535a23

Remember the part where I said the whole team was healthy for the Seattle game and I said only Church was out for Chicago? Remember where I said that the defense or Rob Ryan were never mentioned?

Yeah I am patting myself on the back, but sometimes you have to shove a dogs nose in the feces to get the message across.

So who is going to be the first to claim that Jones and Eatman are lying?
  2. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,311 Messages
    1,745 Likes Received
    Yea, the offense and defense were underperforming early in the season when everyone was healthy. The only thing I give Rob Ryan credit for is having the defense play more inspired later in the season when they were decimated by injuries. But that doesn't mean that he had them playing well when they were healthy. People kept saying at the end of the season, "Imagine how good we'd be if everyone was healthy." But they forgot how bad we were when everyone actually was healthy.
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,004 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    I don't understand what's going on here.
  4. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,879 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    So the defense played better as the year went on and Ryan got fired. The offense stayed awful and Garrett stays. I get it.
  5. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,311 Messages
    1,745 Likes Received
    Well, Ryan had an under talented defense playing more inspired at the end of the year. This is true. But that doesn't mean that Ryan had the starters playing up to their potential. How he coaches scrubs is irrelevant. How he coaches stars is relevant.
  6. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,988 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    I'm confused about the dog nose bit.
  7. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,049 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Reams of nonsense thrown at a problem usually suggest that the reams of nonsense exist because the problem is elsewhere.

Happens all the time when programming code. Hundreds of idiot explanations of the problem when in fact, you missed a comma, quote, or semicolon.

Those people who suggest that perhaps Jones and Garrett watched a defense being played in a style they didn't like and that prompted the firing, are probably closer to the mark than anyone paying any attention to the stuff coming out of Jerry's mouth.

Those suggesting similarities to Chan Gailey are probably closer to the truth than trying to parse Jerry's semblance of logic. At some innate level it wasn't a fit. That they went out and picked up someone whose defensive philosophy is relatively easy to understand, consistent, and relies on execution somehow dovetails with those Coryell based concepts (Garrett as a 21st century Norv Turner) from the 1990s, where great execution is at the heart of the offense.

I also can't help but think perhaps a brag was in all of this: maybe -- this is pure speculation on my part -- Rob promised a winning defense if they just got him his cornerbacks, and rather than rebuild the offensive line, they went cheap on it when they knew the consequences of doing do.

And when Rob's end of the bargain failed, they lost patience in him.

Just thoughts, trying to keep it simple.

D-
  8. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,988 Messages
    952 Likes Received

Yes, plus 3 man rushes.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

16,462 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    No it didn't. The scoring defense and turnovers generated were last in the league over the home stretch. Excuse me, St Louis was worse by .1 points.
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

16,462 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    The comments being referred to are Exhibit A of the Jones emasculating Garrett by not allowing his to choose his own staff. IE that this was supposedly Jones' rationale in the firing.

I have just been told that I was obtuse because I felt that the statements did not imply that. Plus I am stirring the pot.
  11. LongSnapper

LongSnapper Member

747 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Remember that Cincinnati game, when the spawn of Buddy walked out on the field for a 15 yarder ;) thats not part of the process.
    :explode:
  12. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,792 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    It's good to have the clarification, but for me it changes nothing. I see the two games as no brainer losses; Jerry feels like they should have won. I see this team as a 4-12 club brought up to 8-8 on the backs of a few good players, coaching, and plain old luck; Jerry sees it as a 12-4 team dragged down to 8-8 by coaching.
  13. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,583 Messages
    1,320 Likes Received
    But the head coach/offensive coordinator whose offense stunk most of the year and has been a Keystone Cop act since he took over stays, while the defensive coordinator playing with street FAs gets canned?
  14. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Well-Known Member

1,469 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I drove down to the SeaHawks game - a game our beloved Dallas team had 10 days to prepare for IIRC.

That was the worst coached game by this team I have ever seen. Everyone was confused on offense (yes the noise was a huge factor and Witten had his worst game as a Cowboy probably).

I am totally in favour of the firing of Ryan based on that game alone. What you couldn't see on TV (I watched the taped version the next day) is just how terrible our defensive scheme and substitutions were that game.

We often, I mean OFTEN had too few or too many players on the field at various times of the game on defense. The safeties had NO idea - Sensi looked lost as to how to direct DB's back there.

Spencer barely made it on the field a couple times, and even got his sack because he either ran onto the field late and had a free rush from way outside or it was the only "clever" play of the game. I think we even gave up a key 3rd down with too many men on the field that game - with one guy running off late.

Was terrible to watch the confusion on the sideline. There I sat with my Ware jersey and got heckled and heckled.

Now, Felix Jones and the Special Teams didn't look ready to play football either (which is coaching too - Felix should never have been returning kicks and wasn't anywhere close to being in shape at that point of season).

The game plan to not rush a rookie QB in his 2nd game was baffling. Ware was pretty darn quiet, but still made a couple plays. Lee tried. Carter hadn't broken out yet. Lynch ran over our backs.

Our tackling was dreadful especially by safeties and DB's and interior line.

Remember, this was after we looked quite motivated and executed well the game against the Giants. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for sure.

I like Ryan's emotional energy and that is it. I don't think he's creative at getting pressure, or good with the details. I don't think he got the most out of the starters.

You could really see the shortcomings from the coaches on the sideline - stuff you couldn't see on the TV images. Was BRUTAL to watch.
  15. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,583 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    first half of the year we scored 28+ points once. 1 out of 8 times.

Second half of the season, we did it 4 times. 4 out of 8 times.

first half of the season we scored under 20 points 5 out of 8 times

second half of the season, we scored under 20 points 1 out of 8 times

So you were saying?
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,371 Messages
    981 Likes Received
    I agree with this. That was most likely the turning point for both Jerry and Garrett. I would have slapped him and I like Rob.
  17. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,879 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    Yea and how many times did the offense score less than 10 in the first half? The offense was awful. You are supposed to play four quarters. Maybe if they could have put two halves together, they would have been better than 8-8. I don't think the defense was anything great but the offense was just as bad.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    No doubt, the offense got better. But yes, they were pretty bad early on.
    But later.....
    • The line gelled later--still sucked but were better. They had barely even practiced togerther early on.
    • Receivers were running better routes--50% of the early turnovers were bad routes or flat out drops
    • Romo was being smarter with the ball. He had some real ugly ones early, but not again until that last one vs the Skins
    • Murray came back
    • Dez turned the corner and reached star status
    • Harris became involved
    They were much better in the second half of the season
  19. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

2,003 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    The defense looked better against less competitive teams,,,,,Yes, RYAN did a good job with the patchwork defense...But against competitive teams..his defense looked tired and out of place....

Garrett stays for 1 main reason, he has to much guaranteed money left on his contract....It's all on Jerry...does he want to pay Garrett 9million dollars to go away or give him another year then get rid of him for 4.5mill.....Jerry is a business man.....and that is why Garrett stays....nothing more..nothing less...just a business at this point.
  20. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

699 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Ryan kept detaching his own puppet strings and challenging the JJ system of management. His on/off field antics played itself out as good scapegoat as well so he easily draws the short staw for the "uncomfortable" in VR.
    While JG on the other hand, always keeps his strings clean and well attached ready for JJ to use at his convenience much like Howdy Doodie.
    We'll see if JG will grow up. I imagine he's on the phone with Jimmy Johnson and a few other ex dallas coaches he palyed for seeking consult.