1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Eatman: Looking For Positives Among This Desert Turnover Fest

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,559 Messages
    815 Likes Received
    Rosario? Sims? Lissemore? McCray? Armstrong? Beasley? It is going to be a very difficult cut down.
  2. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,142 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    One hundred percent... umm... 100% agree!

Arkin Arkin, he's our man! If he can't do it- well, he'll get replaced by someone who hopefully can!
  3. ClarenceDarrow

ClarenceDarrow Member

44 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    One of the problems with getting to 53 is that both of the lines have shown that they're injury prone, which means we'll probably need to keep more of each than one would hope. 3 QBs would be great, but Tanney won't be playing on special teams.
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,127 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    That is a good point....but, it is really hard to find a good QB and Tanney looks like he has something to his game.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,342 Messages
    3,229 Likes Received
    I don't see it as a matter of affording it or are you saying that in terms of roster spots? Yes, you keep the guy unless he doesn't have it upstairs or some other fatal flaw. If it comes down to developing that last player on the roster (or two or three) then you definitely keep a QB that may end up being a starter vs a DL, OL, LB, or DB who may develop into one. Not saying Tanney can't fail but I saw enough to say keeping him is a no brainer with the caveats above. If he goes out there the next two games and blows up then he doesn't have the mental makeup necessary. But the physical tools are there in spades. I'm guessing the mental aspects of the game can be developed.
    5Stars likes this.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,559 Messages
    815 Likes Received
    If Tanney or Stephens have the makings of NFL QBs they have to keep one of them on the roster. Anyway, I heard Tanney can punt. :D
  7. jobberone

36,342 Messages
    3,229 Likes Received
    I don't believe for one second they can't field STs because they kept Tanney. There are plenty of backups with speed on this team and you don't need the heavies that much anymore for punts and KO's. You find a place to keep a player who plays the most difficult position in the NFL to play and find players. If you have to you put a starter out there. Woody played STs when he was here.

The Gibson guy looks like a player. What's his story.
    5Stars likes this.
  8. 5Stars

26,127 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    No, I was not talking about the money aspect because I really don't care about any of that...not my problem to tell JJ how to spend his frogs and why others worry about that I have no clue because the Cowboy seem to do alright, even with the Mara ordeal.

But finding a player at the skill position such as QB is rare and Tanney looks like a player that might develop. Hell, the Cowboys had players come off the strip club to play defense last year and if not for Romo the Cowboys would have been screwed big time!

I know Orton is a vet and is important and glad he is the backup, but....still, it sure would be nice for lighting to strike twice.
  9. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Basically everything except the turnovers was a positive. It's really not even like we played a sloppy game, and it's hard to imagine that after a SIX turnover outing, but we played well except for a few guys not being able to hold onto the ball when they were going down.

It actually reminded me of Seattle last year, Felix's fumble then set the tone for a bad game as Harris' did last weekend.
    5Stars likes this.
  10. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,090 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    Tanney may be a great backup or starter but he is not ready and needs a couple of years on the bench. You need Orton as the backup unless you think this is another 8-8 season and a good backup will not make a difference if Romo goes down.
    5Stars likes this.
  11. 5Stars

26,127 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    This is true, but, can the Cowboys afford to use a roster spot on the guy, because if they release him I'm willing to bet he gets snagged up by some other team.
  12. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,090 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    If they want to keep him they have to keep him on the 53. I think they can do this without cutting a really needed guy.
  13. 5Stars

26,127 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    I hope the Cowboys feel that way.

Maybe I need to see the other guy? What was his name? :D
  14. CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver Active Member

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    QB - Romo, Orton, Tanney(3)
    RB - Murray, Dunbar, Tanner, Randle(4)
    TE - Witten, Hanna, Escobar, Smith(4)
    WR - Bryant, Austin, Williams, Harris, Beasley(5)
    OL - Smith, Leary, Frederick, Arkin, Free, Bernadeau, Costa, Parnell,? (9)
    K - Bailey(1)
    LS - LaDouceur(1)
    Offense - 27

DE - Ware, Spencer, Wilbur, Selvie(4)
    DT - Ratliff, Hatcher, LIssemore, Bass, Hayden(5)
    LB - Lee, Carter, Durant, Sims, Holloman, McGee(6)
    CB - Claiborne, Carr, Scandrick, Webb, Moore(5)
    S - Church, Allen, Wilcox, Johnson (4)
    P - Jones(1)
    Defense 25

That leaves one more spot and includes 3 QB's. Maybe an extra LB or S even though Moore could play S if needed.
  15. jobberone

36,342 Messages
    3,229 Likes Received
    I think they keep 3 RBs although they could easily keep 4 as we have no FB. Ten OL. 9-10 DL. 6-8 LB probably 7-8. Ten DBs although 9 if they count a backup as a D and a CB.

QB-3
    RB-3
    WR-5
    TE-4
    OL-9
    DL-8
    LB-8
    S-4
    CB-6
    K/P/LS 3

You could go with 5 CBs and add an OL or DL
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,939 Messages
    3,389 Likes Received
    Might go 6 deep there.
  17. 5Stars

26,127 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    I know that some posters always talk about keeping or getting TE's, but what do you think the reason is for keeping four of them? Is it because they don't keep a fullback?
  18. CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver Active Member

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Yep.

Also none are particularly good blockers except for Smith so I almost think you have to keep him.

I think it's harder to fit a particular player wen you are looking at the names rather than putting a number at each position.
    5Stars likes this.
  19. 5Stars

26,127 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    I just looked at his bio...the dude is 276 lbs! Damn!

:eek:
  20. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,346 Messages
    545 Likes Received

Damn you! :mad: