1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Eatman: Watt Do We Think About Drafting Tyron Smith Now?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 10, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,462 Messages
    3,287 Likes Received
    Nick Eatman
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas - Let me answer the headline question first: Still like it.

Notice I said like and not love, because I’m not sure many people just love seeing offensive linemen drafted in the first round. They want to see highlights, touchdowns, that wow factor.

And unless you’re getting Orlando Pace and seeing all of his pancake-blocks, then it’s hard to get too jacked about taking linemen.

But I think most people were in agreement that drafting Tyron Smith[IMG], a 20-year-old from USC who was much more mature beyond his age, was the right pick to make, especially since the Cowboys had gone 30 years since taking an offensive lineman in the first round.

It was the right pick then. And yes, it’s still the right pick now.

Oh, I’ve seen him play. Yes, I know that Houston’s J.J. Watt appears to be the next superstar defensive player in the making.

Read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ith-Now-/1e2641fc-c552-4f19-ab8b-864196ff3e61
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,097 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    Wow. Eatman talking sense.
  3. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Can you image where we would be without drafting Smith on the OL?

Absolutely no hope... anywhere...

At least we have 1...
  4. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Sorry - I really need to take time to proof...
  5. ManicDepressiveMan

ManicDepressiveMan Member

753 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Sure Smith was the right pick if you are a moron and draft for need over quality.

Watt looks like a sure fire HOFer.

Smith looks like a JAG.
  6. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,466 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Smith doesn't look like a jag. Watch Doug Free closely if you want to see that. Smith has a mountain of potential.

But when compared to Watt, he doesn't look good. Almost no one does. Watt may very well be the most dominant player in the league right now.
  7. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hindsights 20/20, huh Nick
  8. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,196 Messages
    9 Likes Received

That's what they said about Merriman after two years in the league. :laugh2:
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,097 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    Those dumb enough to not realize that it was mostly roids - without them he was a JAG
  10. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

762 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    When you pick an OLman that high, he is ready to be plugged in and start from day one....unfortunately, that has not been the case. Smith has been plugged in out of necessity rather than talent at this point. He may become a great OT, but the pick was too high. We'll see in 2 years if he was worth it.
    But because of Romo's age/contract we needed for him to be a star and a fixture at LT RIGHT NOW.

Watt on the other hand, is already becoming a superstar and difference maker on D.
  11. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,137 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    I can only think of one guy on the roster where the "hindsight is 20/20" thingy worked in our favor and that would be Demarcus Ware. Every other 1'st rounder on the team, Smith, Bryant, Spencer, Jones, Jenkins, Spears and even this year first rounder, Claiborne, you can make a case that we coulda shoulda woulda gone for another player in retrospect. Yes hindsight is 20/20 but c'mon this is a horrible track record. And that's not even touching the players available in '06 when we took Bobby Carpenter and '09 that we missed due to the Roy Williams trade.

Aaron Rodgers in '05
    Joe Staley in '07
    Ray Rice/Matt Forte in '08
    Desean Jackson in '08
    Rob Gronkowski in '10
    JJ Watt in '11
    Bruce Irvin in '12 (without losing our second rounder who became Janoris Jenkins)
  12. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree
  13. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,611 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    Exactly....
  14. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Read his post history he easily the worst poster on this site, ever!!! He has to be a troll.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,854 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    If Watt was a sure fire thing to be what he is now, he would have went no later than #2..........probably #1.
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,854 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    [youtube]P0gsgyY_QW0[/youtube]

That's impressive for a guy his size.
  17. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,440 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    Give him some slack, it's his second year with a new coach and position. But it will be troubling if we get to year three and we're still talking about his potential instead of production.

When we picked him I wanted Castonzo. Maybe not as much upside as Smith but more ready to play from day one. I haven't really watched his play for the colts but he is the starting left tackle.
  18. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,825 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    We're still really bad on the offensive line, but Tyron Smith was the start of fixing that issue.

There's just no way we couldn't take him. We had to and I'm glad we did.