1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ecuador wont renew license 4 U.S. Mantra Airbase

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by thescarface1989, Oct 24, 2007.

1. thescarface1989

thescarface1989 New Member

430 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://ecuador-rising.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html

Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa has refused to renew Washington's lease on the Manta air base. In an interview with Reuters Correa said he would renew the lease on one condition -- the United States allow Ecuador to build a military base in Miami.

Correa said: "If there's no problem having foreign soldiers on a country's soil, surely they'll let us have an Ecuadorian base in the United States." It is estimated that United States has over 700 military bases in foreign countries.
  2. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,607 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I'm sure they could clean out a broom closet to make room for the Ecuadorian envoy.

The Philipines pulled a similar stunt, what is actually happening is they want the Americans out but the American hardware and base to remain, little do they realize it will ALL go with the Americans as the Filipinos found out.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,732 Messages
    2,752 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with what the one guy asks. And to be honest I am shocked it has not happened more.

However your story about the phillipines reminds me of when I was stationed in South Korea.

Word was that South Korea wanted to take back all of the land they had given to the USA for their bases.

Word is that the USA said...sure but you have to pay us for every structure, every inch of concrete and pavement, every inch of plumbing and other areas we put on the land.

In other words we were not going to go away and just give all the other stuff to them for free.

Now whether any of that actually happened I can not say. Probably just an Army rumor but we all found it humorous at the time.
  4. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,607 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    They're welcome to have their country free of American military presence but they need to understand what that means, no freebies, they're banking on American generousity or wastefulness to profit them.

Plus they don't get along with Argentina, should be interesting to see if an American exodus flares that up again.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

59,732 Messages
    2,752 Likes Received
    Also include the revenue they would lose from GIs just going out for a drink or buying trinkets to send home.

I know the village outside of the US Camp where I was stationed, if the US left that area that village would be a ghost town.

MANY people would be out of work.

The country was so poor in areas that they made money going through our trash...anyone remember that episode on mash...well it was not far from the truth.
    As soon as we left a field site you would see families of koreans coming in to go over the trash site.

After we would have weapons qualifications ...The money they made from sculptures made from brass ammunition rounds that we missed picking up alone kept many families in business.

Same for small towns in the US that military bases left.

I left Fort Polk before they moved the majority of the 5th ID to Texas. However the first town outside of the base was nothing but bars, tattoo joints and eating places.

I know they had to take a HUGE hit when the majority of the fort moved to texas.

Just think of a local economy that had been relying on GIs since they were training for Viet Nam at the latest just up and moving. Has to effect the local economy.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Critics of the military-industrial-complex point to the fact that so many people are dependent on the military and arms industry for their livelihood that our society has become practically dependent on militarism and warfare and that any attempt to dismantle the apparatus will produce vigorous opposition for precisely this reason.
  7. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,607 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Militaries don't start wars so that's a bogus argument. Maintaining a peacetime force doesn't mean it has to be deployed in full fury all hours of the day and night and for every reason, historically peace through strength is a proven success anyhow.

Pax Romana and frigid as it was at times the Cold War was a rather bloodless era in history and so forth, even today American military might has helped insure wars between nation states have been minimal.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

59,732 Messages
    2,752 Likes Received
    You have a point there. But it some cases it is simply the truth that the military leaving an area can cause a devastating situation to some local economies.

Now South Korea as a whole would not fall. I mean we give them enough business.

However the local economy would be hit hard.

This is not something that should prevent us from leaving an area. I mean I am not saying we should keep all of the camps in S.Korea because we can not just up and leave those local economies.

I am just pointing out that it would have an effect on them.

I will say this though.

The USA has military instillations all over the world. How many foregin countries have military instillations in the USA?

I know we have foreign troops train in the USA. I can remember German Troops training in Fort Bliss with the ADA.

But would the USA ever allow a foreign government to install a Military Base in the USA? Somehow I doubt it.

Yet we have them in the middle east, we have plans to keep long term military instillations in Iraq and we still have people in Kuwait.
  9. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,607 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Those bases weren't put there at gunpoint, they were requested by the respective governments of every nation that has one.

The world likes being under the umbrella od American military protection and if they ask us to leave then we will up and go but few do once we arrive because they know it is in their best interests.

What tactical advantage would the US gain by inviting a third world nation or non military power to build a base on her soil?

We pay our taxes for a common defense, others lease it out to America in the name of regional striking distance in hotbed areas.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

59,732 Messages
    2,752 Likes Received
    To an extent militaries due start wars. Because the leaders of those militaries start wars.

Notice how many leaders have a title of General or Commander in Chief or other titles that equate to them being the Top leader of the military.

Sure it is a stretch but the military is lead by those that start the wars...nobody is higher on a military's chains of command.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

59,732 Messages
    2,752 Likes Received
    Were they ALL requested by the home country at the time? Or were some of them part of treaties they agreed to at the time.

Not being argumentative on that question...I am really not sure of the answer.
  12. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,607 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    We have pulled out of the Phillipines, we are there by treaty and later request in Okinawa.

Ramstein Germany by request, we pulled out of madrid but were there by request when present.

We have several bases in England by request, Polish base by request, DMZ by request, Guam because it is ours.

Kuwait by request, used to be Turkey by request but no longer, Saudis had us present for a while, UAE by request, Quatar by request, that's all i can think of off the top of my head.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

59,732 Messages
    2,752 Likes Received
    Thanks for the info.:starspin
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    It only cost the Romans their beloved republic.
  15. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,607 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    A distortion of history, Rome abandoned her republic after it fell to coup after coup and an impotent senate full of power hungry men took no efforts to prevent an emperor from emerging, she had no checks and balances.

No generals are plotting coups stateside.
  16. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,004 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    When the 800 lb Gorilla says he wants to sleep in your house, you consider your answer very carefully.

Sometimes the request is quite loaded, and high calibre to boot.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,114 Messages
    1,271 Likes Received
    They want us gone but when trouble comes calling who gets phoned first?
    And it AIN'T the UN.
    We are going to have to keep an eye on Venezuela as long as Chavez is around so those bases in Equador are important right now.
    I have not heard lately but for a long time the area in the Phillipines around where Clark and Subic was was a real depressed area after we left.
    Our bases pump a LOT of money into local economies.
  18. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I'm sure you visited those often :D
  19. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,952 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    We should just take Ecuador and the rest of the world while we're at it:D
  20. BrAinPaiNt