1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ed Werder: Jerry not replacing Garrett with Gruden

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys Offense - TM - Cowboys

According to a "reliable team source," speculation that the Cowboys' recent coaching hires are a sign owner Jerry Jones is preparing to replace Jason Garrett with Jon Gruden is "ridiculous."

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
    Jan 27 - 1:37 PM
  2. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Well... who didn't see that coming!:D
  3. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,177 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    Well maybe not this year but according to Peter King it could be next year:

Peter King: "I wouldn't be shocked if Jon Gruden was the next coach of the Cowboys. I do think Jerry has had thoughts of changing coaches."

http://twitter.com/#!/jonmachota/status/296427824754073600

More @SI_PeterKing from Tuesday interview on The Ticket: "I think Jon Gruden really fits the showbizy thing that Jerry would want to do."

http://twitter.com/#!/jonmachota/status/296428533482405888

SI's Peter King: "I know enough people who know Jon Gruden to know that...it's not going to be very long before he's coaching again."

http://twitter.com/#!/jonmachota/status/296429347781349376
  4. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,502 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    If Garrett fails,it's lovie or gruden. But I don't want Jason to fail. I can't go through another year of this misery lol
  5. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    It's so sad that this once great organization has its coaches needing to be show biz enough to meet the owners families attention requirements.
  6. Titleist

Titleist Active Member

472 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Let's tank the season, blame it on adapting to the 4-3, and then get Clowney in the draft while also getting Gruden/Lovie as a new coach!
  7. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

1,988 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I don't even think Jerry knows what he's thinking. How Do the pundits know?
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    I think it's meant more that you have to be willing to put up with (and shine in) the media attention or they'll tear you apart. See Wade Phillips.
  9. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,975 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones loves being in the spotlight.

Why would he want to share the camera with media darling Jon Gruden?

And never mind the fact Coach Chucky ran the Tampa Bay Buccaneers into the ground after winning the Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's players.

Not a Gruden fan at all.
  10. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,526 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Jimmy, Barry, Gailey, Campo, Parcells, Wade, Garrett.

I guess I don't see where there is any pattern of hiring "show biz" in that list.
  11. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Lol at the people that thought this was gonna happen this year. As the great Draft Guru Parcells once said, "you got sucked."
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone seriously thought we were ever entertaining Gruden.
  13. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    The media, peter king in this case, told them about a showbizy coach and now it's gospel. That's what we need.
  14. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,124 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I don't think Gruden ran the Bucs into the ground. He just never had a great quarterback, and his defense - that really won him the Super Bowl - aged quickly.

Outside of Joe Gibbs, not too many multiple-winning Super Bowl head coaches win or even get there consistently with average quarterbacking play.

When Brady leaves, watch how un-genius Bill Belichick becomes. Notice how pedestrian two-time Super Bowl winning coach Mike Shanahan looked sans Elway.

Almost all the great coaches (those who won multiple Super Bowls and led consistent playoff teams) had great quarterbacks.

I'm interested in seeing what Gruden could do with Tony Romo. If he won with Brad Johnson, certainly he can win with Romo. The clock is ticking though, Jerrah. Hurry up before Romo gets too old.
  15. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,289 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    Key part "after winning the Super Bowl".

I'll take it!
  16. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,429 Messages
    1,427 Likes Received
    Broaddus, Mickey and Eatman think if Garrett fails its Lovie Smith and not Gruden who would be the guy
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    I think we'd be nuts to give up on Garrett, but I could live with Lovie if we were to pull the ripcord. It'd be a better long-term move than Gruden would be.
  18. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    when you're proven wrong, make up crap to pass the time.
  19. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,395 Messages
    1,320 Likes Received
    By that logic, his players from the Raiders made it to the Super Bowl the same year. He was also a tuck rule away from a Super Bowl appearance before that.
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,662 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    That's fine and all, but who would the OC be? Because the key to all this is Tony Romo. And the great thing about Gruden is that he's an offensive-minded coach and did so well with Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson.

Like tyke said, Romo's time is running out. Really, I think it's going to be almost too late for Romo before Jerry makes a change.

And then we'll get to start this process over hoping we can find a QB because we wasted the career of the one we just had.