1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

El Paso Times: Homeland Security admits cartel violence has spilled into Texas

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Angus, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Homeland Security official affirms Mexican drug cartel violence has spilled over into Texas
    By Brandi Grissom / Austin Bureau
    Posted: 02/24/2009 12:00:00 AM MST

AUSTIN -- Violence from Mexican drug cartels has spilled over into Texas, state Homeland Security Director Steve McCraw said Monday.

"Yes, absolutely it has occurred; there's no question about it," McCraw said after a hearing before the House Committee on Border and International Affairs.

McCraw answered lawmakers' questions about Gov. Rick Perry's request for another $135 million for border security operations on the same day Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott asked lawmakers for a new tool to help bring down transnational gangs that threaten border communities.

During the border committee meeting, state Rep. Joe Moody, D-El Paso, asked McCraw whether some incidents that have been reported in the El Paso area would be considered elements of spillover violence from Mexican drug cartels.

Moody asked, among other things, if threats against American citizens, individuals seeking treatment at U.S. hospital for injuries sustained in Juárez and Mexican nationals seeking asylum would be evidence of spillover.

McCraw said yes.

"Anything that involves cartel activity that impacts Texans on this side of the border is, by definition, spillover violence," he said after the meeting.

McCraw told lawmakers, though, that Texas has a contingency plan to deal with large-scale violence and that local, state and federal agencies are working to prevent that from happening.

Earlier Monday, state Sen. Tommy Williams, R-The Woodlands, and state Rep. Aaron Peña, D-Edinburg, filed a bill they said they hoped would make doing business in Texas harder for drug cartels.

Along with Abbott, the legislators urged their colleagues to approve a bill that would give the attorney general expanded authority to seize guns, drugs and cash that are the lifeblood of human and drug smugglers.

"This bill is going to give us the ability to put these kinds of criminals out of business by taking the very thing they are trying to make," Abbott said.

Though such seizures can currently be made in criminal cases, the legislation would allow the attorney general to pursue seizures in civil court, where the burden of proof is less stringent, Abbott said.

Williams said the measure would help ensure that violence from the cartels stays south of the Rio Grande.

"The body count is stacking up along the border," he said, "and we don't want this to spill over into our state anymore."

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci_11770847
  2. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anymore? So they're saying those volunteer border watchers weren't FoS? They're saying we were rightly concerned about our border? Who'd a thunk it?
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    I guess it is time to get my Texas flag with the cannon on it that reads come and take it.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    You might be better off getting a cannon and putting a regular Texas flag on it.:laugh2:
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    spill-over drug cartel violence, means spill-over drug cartel money
    like in No Country for Old Men

I'm movin' to Texas!
  6. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    So you are saying it is stimulating the economy. :laugh2:
  7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    well it's stimulated my need to get money, that's all I know:D
  8. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    I don't know if you are big enough to carry that tank around though. Might have to find another weapon.:p:
  9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    the only weapon I need is up here *points to head*

knowledge is power!
  10. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    Well you are screwed. ;) :p:
  11. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,167 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    Why, who do you know?

;):p:
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received

DIE!!.
  13. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    We had the cannon and dared them to come and take it. :star:
  14. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    So I take it that they took it since you said you HAD instead of you HAVE.

Nice word play their if I say so myself.:D
  15. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    We got it back at San Jacinto and a whole lot more. When others wanted Santa Anna head, Mr. Sam said I want Texas. :star:
  16. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I think you are on the shrooms again ;)
  17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    hey mod-boy

* Any discussions condoning illegal actions such as drug use, software piracy, etc. are not allowed. Violating this guideline may result in your posts being deleted and your account being suspended or banned.

banished!
  18. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,075 Messages
    266 Likes Received
  19. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    No just Texas proud. You get Texas history in Elementary, Jr. High and High School that is why Texans are the way we are. Very proud of our State and we wave our flag proudly. As Jerry Jeff Walker once said "I'm an American by chance and a Texan by the Grace of God" :laugh2:
  20. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    Google...use it and look that word up.

And it is mod...MAN to you poster-boy.:D