1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Eli Manning

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Nav22, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,214 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Those who bought the media's line on Eli Manning should be thoroughly embarrassed.

Average QB who benefitted from the support of a tremendous pass D for 2 playoff runs. The SECOND he has to deal with a bad OL and bad D (which Romo's dealt with for much of his career), he's complete garbage. I'm not the least bit surprised. Eli is exactly who I thought he was.

Hmm, I guess stats DO matter when judging individual players after all. Peyton Manning has the best stats this year and he's been the best QB... what a coincidence!!!
  2. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,201 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    when stats fall or rise your way, than you talk. no stats dont prove anything, if they did Marino would be the man for quite some time. The team helps, the rules help, dare i say coaching helps, injuries help. Lots and lots of factors. Eli was NOT what people thought he was, is he this bad, no, is he average, hovering around with a plus or minus if you want to make the argument. But is anyone correct for screaming Eli is bad just to be different, no. Football is more than just stats.
  3. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,633 Messages
    388 Likes Received
    Who'd have thought that Eli Manning would have 7 times as many interceptions as Romo at this point?
    pjtoadie likes this.
  4. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,751 Messages
    826 Likes Received
    He'll still make the hall, IMO.
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,720 Messages
    1,588 Likes Received
    I don't think he gets in at this point. IMO, Simms was better and he is not in.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  6. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,276 Messages
    812 Likes Received
  7. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,633 Messages
    388 Likes Received
    I think it's pretty hard for a quarterback to win 2 Super Bowls and not be in the Hall of Fame.
  8. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Only Jim Plunkett so far.
  9. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Is E. Manning on a pace to break single season INT record?
  10. dexternjack

5,720 Messages
    1,588 Likes Received
    I agree, but there isn't anything special about Eli. If he somehow gets one more ring, then I say he is in 100%. Until then, I am not sure he is even on the fence yet.
  11. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,358 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    Would be a joke if he does, IMO.

He has zero chance to get in if he doesn't turn his funk around. To even be considered he'll have to string off 2-3 more good to great seasons.
  12. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,415 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    Eli is pretty bad right now, but let's not be so blinded we can't admit that he got the job done in the post season, twice, and not by getting carried, the guy made the plays he needed to. He may be a blind mouthbreathing squirrel, but he found alot of nuts in a row...
    Duane and Gameover like this.
  13. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,751 Messages
    826 Likes Received
    He actually wasn't better and only won 1 SB. Manning might fall apart though, there is time. 2x superbowl mvp, should be enough to clinch it though.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,612 Messages
    2,002 Likes Received
    He almost always has more picks than Romo, the 1st half last year was rough on Tony.
    But 7x the picks?
    Whoa
  15. AmericanCowboy

AmericanCowboy Active Member

118 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Anyone who has watched Eli play who isnt a giant fan knows that he is extremely average. Fact of the matter is his defense durin the first playoff run gave up 13 points a game, and during the second playoff run gave up 15 points a game. He mad some nice throws, but the Tyree catch is the luckiest pass of all time
    pjtoadie likes this.
  16. AmericanCowboy

AmericanCowboy Active Member

118 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Eli i think has ALWAYS been top 3 or 4 in ints. Hes also usually at the bottom half in terms of completion percentage.
  17. dstovall5

2,358 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    He may not of got carried, but he also didn't carry his team. His whole TEAM showed up and played GREAT, not just him. In BOTH superbowl runs his defense never gave up more then 20 points, also while holding juggernaut New England (2007) to 14 points when they were averaging around 30 points. And the years his defense allowed over 20 points in playoff appearances, Eli is 0-3.

I know it may be hard for some comprehend here (not you), but it takes an actual TEAM playing great football to win, not just the QB.

Eli is what he is, a slightly above average QB who played great in 2 playoff runs surrounded by a solid team, and also got extremely lucky during those same runs. And I'm not taking any credit from him either, he played well during those runs.
    Duane likes this.
  18. dexternjack

5,720 Messages
    1,588 Likes Received
    Eli is facing what Romo has been dealing with for most of his career, bad defense and no offensive line. Now compare the two QB's under the same conditions......Romo is 5x the QB that Eli is. Manning would have zero rings if those teams were constructed like this NYG team. I don't discount his Super Bowl performances, he played great, but he did indeed have some help.
    yesfan likes this.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,123 Messages
    4,218 Likes Received
    he's still a very good qb. i dont understand the obsession some on this site have for proving romo>eli. just stop it.
  20. dstovall5

2,358 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    I don't see why anyone would feel the need to refute the point that Romo>Eli, especially when it's very obvious what the answer is. :D