1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ellen and her feminist crap...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by a_minimalist, Oct 26, 2012.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Sure, but first you define what you think "femenist" actually means. Here's a hint - feeling "oppressed" has nothing to do with being a femenist.
  2. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I think you're dead on with everything you said and I've been guilty of lumping the moderate women in with the anti-men women in the past. I guess I'm guilty of doing it again to some degree.

What I really question is if something like feminism can still exist in 2012 in America. It's becomes less about women and more about men not being what women want. Women are no longer oppressed here.
  3. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    - noun
    the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
    ( sometimes cap. ) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.
    feminine character.

So you're going to tell me that in order to fight for equal rights you don't have to feel oppressed? Interesting!!
  4. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Oh, I certainly beg to differ. It's one of the hugest discussions happening today with regard to what women are and aren't allowed to do with their very own bodies and what can be perpetrated on them by others without their desire or their doctor's recommendation.

That very issue is nothing short of oppression, because it only involves women and there is no equivalent situation for men, yet men are the ones making these decisions for women under the guise that we are incapable of deciding what's best for our own bodies or that they somehow know what's best for us because they have so much experience (?!?!) with being a woman.
  5. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    This I will absolutely agree with you on. ABSOLUTELY. You are definitely right about that. I'm sorry I failed to recognize that earlier in this thread too.
  6. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The relevance test for feminism is pretty simple.

To the following, answer "yes" or "no":

1. Socially, do women have an equal status to men?
    2. Politically, do women have the same rights and representation as men?
    3. Economically, are women afforded the same opportunities as men?

If the answer to any of those questions is no, then feminism is still an important contemporary movement.
  7. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,699 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    And you are pushing the political zone --careful