1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Elway backs Tebow, says his criticism of QB 'too blunt'

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Doomsday101, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    For those who wonder if Denver Broncos executive John Elway is completely sold on unorthodox quarterback Tim Tebow, rest easy.

Elway gave his strongest indication yet that he believes Tebow can morph from a scrambling quarterback into a pocket passer during an interview with The Associated Press, while also saying the polarizing and immensely popular former first-round pick is in Denver to stay.

"Tim Tebow's not going anywhere," Elway said. "I mean, he's going to be a Bronco and we're going to do everything we can and hopefully he's that guy."

Elway knows a lot about being "that guy" after leading Denver to five Super Bowls and two titles during his playing career. He reiterated his intention to work with Tebow during the offseason, something he couldn't do last offseason because of the NFL lockout.

After starting the season with Kyle Orton under center, the Broncos have won seven of nine games since switching to Tebow, four of them via the kind of fourth-quarter comebacks that marked Elway's storied career.

Elway said one of his biggest challenges since the move to Tebow has been adjusting to the 24/7 news cycle fed by social media. Elway also again expressed remorse for a comment he made last month on his weekly radio show that was misconstrued as criticism of Tebow.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...sm-of-qb-too-blunt?module=HP11_headline_stack
  2. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good to see. I'm not gonna lie I'm a huge Tebow fan and want to see him do well, but at the same time some people were going overboard with their praise for Tebow. I mean one of the all time great Cowboys Michael Irvin said he would take Tebow over Romo. That is one of the most idiotic statements I've heard in recent memory.
  3. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I think it says a lot that Elway is giving his support to Tebow when he expressed doubt before. Having Elway work with Tebow after the season should be a big help to Tebow
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Elway is already suffering from the fanbase backlash that came after his comments . What else can he say ? I don't think he supports Tebow in the least bit .
  5. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I guess actions will speak louder than words if he is spending time working with Tebow this off season or not. If Elway does not mean what he says then I would expect Denver to bring in a QB or draft a top QB in the upcoming draft.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I've seen reports in the last month that stated Elway has went to games scouting QBs himself . That says alot IMO that he is looking for Tebow's replacement personally. I think he decided to start Tebow to shut the fans up , with the assumption that he would loose . I'm sure , that if things went to plan , he thought that the Bronco's would have a chance at Luck . Funny how things work out .
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Tebow on a personal level; I hope him all the success he can possibly have. Having said that, my criticism of him as a QB hasn't changed.
  8. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,072 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    I don't think Tebow is ever going to be a good passer, but if he can just be mediocre, that'll be enough with the other skills he has.
  9. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Again we will see what Elway and the Broncos do.
  10. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree some what. I don't think he will ever be a pure passer but I do think he can become a QB who you can win with if he becomes more accurate with his throws.
  11. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member

1,387 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    In other news Elway loves grain and can really carry a tune.....

[youtube]gGZwmelwnBU[/youtube]
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I do see signs of improvement in his passing from week to week .
  13. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He does walk on water
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    This is exactly my stance on Tebow.
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,891 Messages
    2,361 Likes Received
    if elway has any sense, tebow will not be the starting QB of the broncos next year
  16. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

5,010 Messages
    1,422 Likes Received
    I am a huge Tebow fan. I loved watching play at Florida. It is obvious he is getting better and better each and every week. I do not think he will ever become elite, but I think he can be a good QB who you can win with. He may never put up 4000 yards but if he can get you 3k and 500-600 rushing he will give you a chance. I believe Elway is starting to back him because he see improvement.