1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Emmitt on Jerry and Garrett's Short Leash

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Well-Known Member

1,451 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    All I'm saying is that he proved he could do it, behind an average at best oline. And average, at best, all around team.

The coaches pulled him out. Do you really think he would have just stopped getting touchdowns if they had left him in? Think carefully now.
  2. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,963 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    I don't think those games existed as much as you think they did. It's all in your head based on youtube highlights. Emmitt despite his lack of speed had plenty of long runs... that's was one of the main things that Jimmy said about him when they drafted him and asked about his lack of speed. We could easily find lots of games where Emmitt padded his stats with long runs since we at least watched those games. None of us can claim to be experts on Barry Sanders. There was no direct tv. We saw a few games a year, max.

You seem to be on this whole Emmitt vs Barry as running backs thing, but I am not fighting that battle. I am just objecting to this idea that there was something wrong with Barry's running style, and that he ran around like a chicken with his head cut off on every play and lost yards like crazy only to rip off a big run at the end. It simply isn't true.
    Alexander and peplaw06 like this.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,696 Likes Received
    I don't play Madden, and my memory is way better than a need to see youtube. In fact I've never seen a Barry Sanders youtube video, good or bad. My opinion was based on watching him play and simply not liking what I saw.
  4. Tawney88

Tawney88 Well-Known Member

1,609 Messages
    616 Likes Received
    I think Barry, Emmitt and Walter are all better then Jim Brown. But I can see someone saying any of the four being the best ever.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  5. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

16,097 Messages
    3,312 Likes Received
    Since we are talking about running backs, I figured I would throw my 2 cents in.

Personally, I think both were great in their own ways. Emmitt had durability and toughness rarely seen today in a RB. I still remember the game against the Giants where he played with a separated shoulder and would not take the pain injections. That second half was the greatest performance I have ever seen from a RB just refusing to let his team lose.

Sanders was electrifying, he could make moves that you don't even see on video games. He could start and stop and change direction in a blink of an eye. I have never seen a RB since that had that type of elusiveness and just uncanny ability to avoid defenders.

Both guys deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and both guys should be remembered among the all time greats.
  6. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Some people would find a silver lining in Josh Brent coming back to the team. Some people lauded (and predicted) Roy Williams being traded here. Some people lap up every Tom, Dick, and Harry brought on to this roster.

But hall of famer Barry Sanders? No way man. Didn't like his game.

It's really just an embarrassing need to "win" the Barry vs. Emmitt argument. Both were great players and we would have done well to have either. We happened to have Emmitt. I got no problem with liking Emmitt more. I liked him more too because he was ours. But you don't have to denigrate one of the best ever to have that opinion.
    BigStar, jnday, Little Jr and 3 others like this.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,356 Messages
    5,652 Likes Received
    Nice. Barry was one of the most exciting players ever IMO. I love to see a player who every time he touches the ball you are thinking big play. One of the reasons I miss Tony Dorsett so much.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,596 Messages
    2,204 Likes Received
    Well there is no doubt you are the biggest Sanders homer here
  9. burmafrd

42,596 Messages
    2,204 Likes Received
    trying to get my mind around someone so desperate that they make this claim. Why doesn't this poster say that to a REAL NFL coach? I mean the guy might DIE laughing.
  10. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,331 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    There was something wrong with Barry's running style but I'll quantify that by how it would have fit into our offense at the time. Sander's style just wasn't conducive to moving the chains and keeping the flow on offense. Despite what people think, there's a reason Sanders was taken out of goal line situations; he'd dance in the backfield instead of hitting the hole and pounding for that one yard. That wasn't his "style." And the fact that Emmitt was handed the rock in goal line situations also contributed to his YPC average being less than Sanders. Throw in the fact that Emmitt was one of the best pass protectors of his era as well as an outstanding pass catcher and it's easy to see why Emitt was the best all-around RB's in NFL history. He was the full package.

Sanders and Smith are both HOFers. They were both great in their own way. Both had different styles. But if you wanted a ground game and a guy to carry the team in the 4th quarter or get you that tough yard, you take Emmitt every single time.
    BigStar likes this.
  11. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    Just for future reference, are you agreeing with me or with the guy who said going backwards is part of the job of a RB?
  12. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    LOL, .. I have probably been watching NFL games since before you were born son.

You know what? It's a good thing we disagree on this, ... you can have Barry, and I'll ALWAYS take Emmitt.

Listne, .. Barry's style was always great fun and entertaining to watch, .. but was simply not condusive to winning. Period.
    Dodger12 likes this.
  13. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

7,381 Messages
    2,447 Likes Received
    There is A FOOTBALL LIFE special coming on about Barry Sanders.

I think I'll watch it to see what type of game he played & what other NFL guys say about him.

Before my time so I'm curious.
    jobberone likes this.
  14. burmafrd

42,596 Messages
    2,204 Likes Received
    certainly NOT agreeing with the very backwards guy
  15. jobberone

41,356 Messages
    5,652 Likes Received
    Be prepared to be entertained. I'm trying to think of a player remotely like him and I can't. But I have CRS. :)
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  16. Super_Kazuya

1,963 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    Jesus, do we have a minimum education level for this board? Obviously what I meant by saying something is "part of the job" (a COMMON idiom) is that it is something that happens to all running backs at some point. Not implying that running backs are supposed to actually intentionally go backwards! Please someone else chime in and tell me that was fairly obvious in context with what I was saying. If not, I'll retract it.
  17. Super_Kazuya

1,963 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    And you couldn't be more wrong (or know less about football) if you tried. Period.
  18. jobberone

41,356 Messages
    5,652 Likes Received
    Love them both. I'd pick Emmitt for my team if I only had one choice.
  19. Super_Kazuya

1,963 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    Wild guess but you probably won't see a bunch of bitter homers trying to bring him down by saying they didn't like the particular style he ran to 15,000 yards, 5 yards a carry and the Hall of Fame.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  20. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

7,381 Messages
    2,447 Likes Received
    I love that show. Pretty much every single one I've seen I have enjoyed. The one on Coach Landry I cannot bear to delete off my dvr.
    jobberone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.