1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Emmitt on Jerry and Garrett's Short Leash

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,602 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    Because he is someone we have comparable data on, duh.

Your whole illogical argument is based on the concept that Sanders runs around losing 7 yards on every play and compared to other great backs his style is not conducive to winning. When asked to prove it, you have a big bag of nothing based on your opinion. I was simply asking if someone had a possible reason that could explain if this was actually possible. I am certainly open to the idea. I quoted your post, but I wasn't really talking to you. I already know you have nothing.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I get the tone, but did this even say anything?

I explained why I would not want the guy on my team, and I backed it up. I really don't give two flips who agrees or disagrees with my opinion, but at the very least up until now I have tried to be respectful when replaying to you despite your insults in almost every post you've responded to me. I am so sorry my Madden memory turned out to be correct and you were swinging at air missing like a drunken sailor. Please forgive me.
  3. Super_Kazuya

1,602 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    lol, ok Mr. Revisionist history. You have posted tons of nonsense non-facts about 2nd and longs and long runs that are all backed up by your foggy memory. Had you simply just stopped at "I would rather have Emmitt on my team any day over Barry" I would have never even replied. Instead you tried to become some kind of research scientist and failed miserably. It's one thing for me to think that Curvin Richards is a better back than Walter Payton. When I try to make up some bogus explanation for it, I better expect to be called on it. If you are now changing your story to "I simply don't want him on my team", then fine let's move on.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I revised nothing. I shared my opinion.

There was nothing bogus about my explanation. I said I would not want him on my team, and I meant it. I don't really care if that sits well with you or not, nor anyone else for that matter. It is my opinion, I am entitled to it in a free country, and that is really all there is for me to say in defense. I don't care if you think he's the greatest RB in the History of the world. That is your right. I'd take a lot of backs over him, and I explained why.
  5. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,571 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    LOL, if you don't know why an offense is better with Emmitt Smith than Barry Sanders, I question how much you know about football. It is actually football 101.

Listen, I have given reasons why I would like Emmitt as my RB, and you have given reasons why you would like Barry as your RB. (along with several of your desperate childish insults)

Even though I loved watching him run, you can have Barry. I'm good.
    casmith07, jnday and Hostile like this.
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,662 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    This thread long long ago quit being about Jason Garrett.
  7. WV Cowboy

10,571 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    Who?

LOL
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,078 Messages
    3,767 Likes Received
    It seems like there are 2 issues with the Barry Sanders / Emmitt Smith question.

1. Which one was the better pure runner?

2. Which one if most likely to help your team win?

My answer would be that Emmitt is the answer to question #2 and I don't really care about question #1.

Emmitt was a terrific goal-line and short yardage runner. Emmitt was also a terrific pass blocker.

Emmitt was the top talent on a team that won 3 Super Bowls. It's hard to imagine that if anybody had a do-over that they wouldn't pick Emmitt to be on that team over Barry.
    casmith07 likes this.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Smith had his faults as well. I didn't like his attitude at times myself. I said that Sanders was a great back. I think he didn't put effort into blocking and that says alot to me. Both were great RBs , but I prefer Smith's total game to Sander's running ability. It is a style preference . I liked Earl Campbell over Tony Dorsett during that time period, so it is not a matter of it being a Cowboy or not.
  10. Super_Kazuya

1,602 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    I have not said that any offense is better with Barry Sanders over Emmitt Smith (maybe it is, maybe it isn't). I have not given any reasons why I would like Barry as my RB (there are others who I would choose before him). I have challenged clueless characterizations of Barry Sanders running style based on Youtube highlights instead of being based on a 3,000 carry career, the majority of which was not seen by anyone on this board (myself included). I have asked for people to prove that he put his teams in worse situations with his running. No one has. I have asked for people to prove that losing 2-3 extra yards per game is not a positive tradeoff for being the most prolific runner in NFL history (besides Jim Brown). No one has.
  11. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,374 Messages
    4,620 Likes Received
    Of course it did. Far easier to romantically focus on Emmitt Smith's exploits as a Cowboy than acknowledge what he actually said now as an observer.
  12. Alexander

24,374 Messages
    4,620 Likes Received
    Not really too interested in continuing the sideshow debate, but the fact that Sanders did not "put effort into blocking" had a lot to do with his role. The Lion offenses were run and shoot during a good chunk of his career. The concepts and expectations are different in that system than what Smith was in his whole career. There is little evidence that proves that Sanders was ineffective as a blocker or did not like doing it. Different player, different circumstances, different expectations. If you want to bother to go back and watch the games, Sanders could get the job done in that regard. He was not like Deion Sanders trying to make a tackle.

I also would prefer Smith. But I stop short of saying I would take lesser backs in NFL history over him just because of his running style or what I perceive as a lack of toughness or whatever. I would take him in a heartbeat if I felt confident I could run an offense based on his skillset.
    jobberone likes this.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I don't know to what extent that Sanders' style helped or hurt his team. Don't really care. I have seen him scrambling in the backfield and it has resulted in losing yardage. He has broke some if those for long runs as well. What you are saying is just as impossible to prove as it is to disprove. You are wanting some kinda stat to prove a point and it don't exist. One thing is for certain, Sanders' style didn't win the Lions any championships. Nobody knows if he could have won one with any team. It is all opinion.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,256 Messages
    3,189 Likes Received
    They are both great runners. Which is why they are both in the HOF. I never paid attn to Sander's blocking. I was too busy watching him break ankles and play Houdini.
  15. Alexander

24,374 Messages
    4,620 Likes Received
    Let's see.

Was it Sanders?

Or was it Troy Aikman as a QB versus Erik Kramer, Andre Ware, Rodney Peete, Bob Gagliano, Scott Mitchell or Dave Krieg?

How many championships has any RB ever won for their team in the modern era? Even Payton did not win one for the Bears and was an accessory.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  16. Super_Kazuya

1,602 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    And I saw Emmitt scramble around in the backfield losing yards too, tons of times. I am not the one making any outlandish claims. Some people on a message board made up a bunch of stuff and their foolishness was exposed. That's it.

I think a majority of NFL fans, both locally and nationally, view Emmitt to be the superior back, but will also counter that Sanders was the superior "runner". This angers Emmitt homers, who can't just concede that small point. So despite overwhelming evidence that Sanders was indeed a superior runner, suddenly Sanders loses yards on every other play (actually it was around 2 carries for -7 yards per game, career) and runs around wildly regardless of down and distance, and Emmitt (despite being an extremely shifty back who has a vault of incredible Barry-like runs himself) is Christian Okoye lite. And with that leap of illogic, that is how Emmitt's 4 yards and a cloud of dust beats Barry's 5 yards a pop. The only problem with all of this is that it is extremely stupid and wouldn't get past the average 8 year old.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  17. jobberone

36,256 Messages
    3,189 Likes Received
    Stop with the insulting comments.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  18. WV Cowboy

10,571 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    Those two sentences back to back made me laugh out loud.

Sorry, I'm done.
    Hostile likes this.
  19. jobberone

36,256 Messages
    3,189 Likes Received
    I give a general warning and its ignored. This thread is being closed before others get into trouble.
    casmith07 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.