1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Emmitt Smith: Ring of Honor

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,789 Messages
    2,525 Likes Received
    :star: 22 - Emmitt Smith :star:
    "Catch 22"
    1990 - 2002
    RB, Florida

[IMG]

8 time Pro Bowl...1990 - 95, 98 - 99
    4 time All Pro...1992 - 95
    Super Bowl XXVIII MVP

Inducted in Cowboys Ring of Honor 9/19/05

Link to Emmitt Smith's Ring of Honor page.

In 15 seasons, Emmitt Smith made an impact on the NFL that few players can match at any position or in any era. As the NFL's all-time rushing leader, Smith won four NFL rushing titles, three Super Bowl titles and a league (1993) and Super Bowl (XXVIII) MVP award. He was selected to the Pro Bowl eight times, with only Barry Sanders (10) having been selected more times among NFL running backs.

Smith is the seventh player in NFL history to carry the title of all-time rushing leader, and he is the only player in NFL history to rush for more than 18,000 yards. Smith is also the NFL's career rushing touchdowns leader with 164, and he stands second in league annals in total touchdowns with 175, trailing the all-time leader, Jerry Rice, by 32.

The first player in NFL history with five straight seasons with over 1,400 rushing yards, Smith and Jim Brown are the only players with seven straight 10-touchdown seasons to start their career. With 1,021 yards rushing in 2001, Smith became the first player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards in 11 consecutive seasons and the first to post 11 1,000-yard rushing seasons in a career.

He is also the NFL's alltime leader in rushing attempts with 4,409. With a then NFL record 25 touchdowns in 1995, Smith scored 100 career touchdowns in just six seasons, the fastest anyone in league history has reached that mark (he tied Brown's NFL record by scoring 100 touchdowns in just 93 career games). His 164 career rushing touchdowns in 226 games gives him a 0.73 touchdown-per-game scoring average, second behind Brown's 0.90 for tops among the all-time rushing touchdown scorers (John Riggins 0.59 and Walter Payton 0.58 are next on the list). Smith's longevity and ability to score touchdowns have combined to give him three of the five best touchdown totals against a single opponent in league history. His 25 career scores against the Arizona Cardinals is the third best total by a player against an opponent since 1970, followed by his 24 scores against Washington and his 23 against the N.Y Giants.

Smith is one of only three players in Cowboys history with three career 100-point seasons, and he is the only non-kicker to accomplish the feat.

His value to his team's success can be seen in the clubs' 101-26 mark (93-24 in regular season) when he carried the ball 20-or-more times a game and 65-18 record (58-18 in regular season) when he rushed for 100 yards.

The century mark became a big number in Smith's career, having rushed for 100 yards in 155-of-326 games dating back to high school (45-of-49 at Escambia High School, 25-of-34 at Florida, 81-of-202 at Dallas, including playoffs, and two-of-25 at Arizona). His 45 100-yard games in high school is still the national record, and in NFL annals, Smith's 78 100-yard rushing games makes him the NFL's all-time leader - just ahead of Payton (77) and Sanders (76). Included in Smith's leaguerecord 78 regular season 100-yard rushing games are 18 days with over 150 yards (the fourth highest total of 150-yard games in NFL history).

Smith has rushed for over 100-yards against 23 of the 33 NFL teams he faced. In addition, he rushed for 2,466 yards against the Philadelphia Eagles in his 15 - year career, his best output against any single opponent. That total ranks second since 1970 for running backs against one team. Smith also has the third and fifth best totals in that category.

One reason Smith was such a workhorse over the years was his ability to answer the bell at game time, having started 236-of-243 career games - including playoffs. He missed just 11 career games due to injury. Smith also accumulated a number of NFL postseason records, including rushing touchdowns (19), consecutive games with a rushing touchdown (nine) and 100-yard rushing games (seven). His 1,586 yards rushing is also tops on the NFL postseason chart, and he shares the total playoff touchdown mark of 21 with Thurman Thomas. Smith is one of only five NFL players who have amassed over 10,000 career-rushing yards and 400 career receptions. He is also second on the NFL's all-time total yards from scrimmage list with 21,579 yards. 2004: Smith - who finished 2003 as a reserve - started the 2004 season at the Cardinals starting running back and accounted for 937 rushing yards and nine touchdowns on 267 carries. His 267 carries marked his highest total since 2000 and his nine touchdowns were his highest total since scoring 11 times in 1999. He also caught 15 passes for 105 yards for Arizona. He opened the season at St. Louis (9/12) with 87 rushing yards and a touchdown on 16 carries. He recorded his 49th one-yard touchdown run against New England (9/19), then totaled 45 yards on 18 carries and 11 yards on two catches at Atlanta (9/26). He posted his best game as a Cardinal the following week against New Orleans (10/3), totaling 127 rushing yards on 21 carries (6.0 avg.), including a 29-yard socring jaunt (his longest as a Cardinal). The Saints game marked his 77th career regular season 100-yard rushing game, tying Payton for the most in NFL history.

The last NFL player to eclipse the 100-yard mark in a game after his 35th birthday was Marcus Allen for Kansas City at Cleveland on Dec. 3, 1994.

Smith also completed his first career pass against New Orleans, tossing a 21-yard scoring strike to fullback Obafemi Ayanbadejo. Smith carried the ball 16 times for 63 yards and a touchdown at San Francisco (10/10), then broke Payton's record for career 100-yard rushing games when he totaled 106 yards and a touchdown on 26 carries against Seattle (10/24) He also added four catches for 30 yards, allowing him to become only the fourth player in NFL history to eclipse the 21,000-combined yards mark. At Buffalo, he accounted for 64 yards on 22 carries. After rushing 19 times for 42 yards and a score at Miami (11/7), he totaled 67 yards and two touchdowns on 19 carries against the N.Y. Giants (11/14) to become the only player in NFL history to eclipse the 18,000 career rushing yard mark.

He was hampered with a toe injury at Carolina (11/21) and against the N.Y. Jets (11/28) before missing the game at Detroit (12/5) due to the toe problem. He returned to action against San Francisco (12/12) and carried the ball 18 times for 53 yards and a score. A week later, he totaled 71 yards on 19 carries and 24 yards on two receptions against St. Louis (12/19). He recorded 65 yards on 23 carries at Seattle (12/26) before closing out the season with 69 yards on 23 carries and 13 yards on two catches against Tampa Bay (1/2/05).

Born May 15, 1969 in Pensacola, Florida.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  2. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,039 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    My wife got used to me screaming "Emmitt!" at the TV during games.
  3. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Having not seen Staubach, I'd have to nominate Emmitt as the most memorable Cowboy, in terms of moments. Who in the history of the game was able to take his team on his back like Emmitt did, whenever he needed to?

The super bowl against the Bills, the Shoulder game, all amazing instances.

Probably my most vivid memory of Emmitt was his monday night appearance against the Vikings in honor of Walter Payton. He was unstoppable, until the injury.

He has alot of faults, and late in his career he pretty much symbolized everything that was wrong with the Cowboys, but to me there isn't another player that is more "Cowboys" than Emmitt Smith.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,206 Messages
    5,769 Likes Received
    In honor of the draft...

[IMG]

Ken Geiger / DMN​
    Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson (left), Emmitt Smith (center) and Jerry Jones meet the media following the 1990 NFL Draft.​
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,206 Messages
    5,769 Likes Received
    My most favorite memories of Emmitt are when he repped the Star after the TO incident. I absolutely loved that.

And the moment when he broke the NFL rushing record. I still get chills when I re-watch it. I wish we'd won the game, of course. But man, that was just a really great moment.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    There is only one word to describe Emmitt.......WARRIOR

My favorite Emmitt moments are the 75 yd run on his first carry of the season vs the Giants.

When he played with the messed up shoulder to ensure we got the first round bye.

And of course the breaking of the record.
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Here is what I remember. along with the superbowls and great thanksgiving memories and of course the giants game.

I remember this young cowboys team first monday night game. Aikman, irvin, emmit, moose etc...

1991 week 2 vs washington at home. Emmit smith was viewed as a good young player and hadnt really had the exposure yet. Then on that monday night game he did this.

http://www.4shared.com/file/14837461/796f5930/emmit_91_td.html

and then immediately Dallas was viewed as a dangerous team with one of the best players in the league.

You guys will love that video. It just brings back great memories.
  8. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,789 Messages
    2,525 Likes Received
    One of these days I will own the DVD of his game against the Giants where he ran with a separated shoulder. That to me is the most courageous game I have ever seen. On a team where we had enough weapons to use him as a decoy, he kept getting the ball and killing the Giants. I was in awe that day, and every time I see footage of it, I get the same feelings of awe. You can't measure heart. That is what describes Emmitt more than any other word.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,003 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Atlanta game ...... there was a huge pilup in the middle and everyone thought the play was over ..... Emmitt comes running around the side dragging 2 guys and breaks free ....... it was a race to the endzone with only Deion having a chance to stop him ..... Emmitt scores and the rout was on.
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I have that game on an external I will put that play up in a minute...Great play that was too.
  11. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Great play theebs - you forget how muc he did that - noone gets a clean shot, and he's gone.
  12. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,003 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    That would be great ..... thanks theebs
  13. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
  14. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Several great memories.

And one of the scariest.

I'd have stopped watching football had he been paralyzed in Chicago on that Monday night in 1996.
  15. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    That one's not working for me, theebs.
  16. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

I just tried it and it worked so i am not sure..

Download it, dont try and watch it in the little video screen
  17. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,885 Messages
    1,639 Likes Received
    I'll never forget how Emmitt single handedly got the Cowboys going in the second half of the Pittsburgh/Dallas Super Bowl, this hard running basically took the wind out the Steelers.
  18. Champsheart

Champsheart Active Member

2,566 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Actually the 2nd Super Bowl against Buffalo was more impressive.

The second half we gave him the ball play after play and he was just unstoppable, breaking tackles and picking up good yardage everytime, the game was close at the time and Emmitt just broke the Bills backs and will.

I have so many memories of Emmitt I would not even know where to begin.
    I was at the game he broke the record, the only time I have ever been in Texas Stadium. I will never forget it.

But, for some reason those championship games against the 49ers always come back to me, not just his running, but those little dump of passes we caught and made huge yards at crucial times.

And the Giant game is just classic, I have that game on tape and still watch it once or twice a year.
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,423 Messages
    1,644 Likes Received
    He was a "Diamond among trash"...

:cool:

But, really, Emmitt was the best. He never would quit, and tough as nails. And he dances like a pansey! :p:

I'm glad I got the chance to see his whole career unfold...NFL rushing leader!

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
  20. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,491 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    With Emmitt, there are just too many memories to name.. He is my all-time favorite Cowboy and was my hero growing up..

Breaking the all-time rushing record.. I was in the stands.. One of my favorite life memories of all-time..

The Giants game..

The second Buffalo Super Bowl..

All those games against the 49ers..

His 237 yard performance against the Eagles in the rain..

His MNF game against the Vikings where he was playing for his hero, Walter Payton and was unstoppable before he broke his hand..

His 4 rushing titles..

How he broke down in tears when he won the Walter Payton award because he was so honored..

How he broke down in tears when he came back to Texas Stadium as a Cardinal and got injured.. You could tell it just broke his heart..

How he broke down in tears when he retired as a Cowboy..

More than anything, I remember how he was such a positive influence in my life.. Because he was my hero, I wanted to be like him.. And I kept reading stories about what a good person he was, how he took care of his family and how he helped the community and how he loved God and how he always strived to do what was right.. It made me want to be the same way, and I can honestly say that he touched my life in that way and helped me become a better person..

Four years ago for my birthday, a friend of mine somehow got his home address and sent him a letter telling him how much he touched my life and helped me become a stronger Christian.. Emmitt sent a package to my home a few weeks later with a signed photo that said "Happy Birthday Brandon, Emmitt Smith".. He also included a personal letter that told me how my friend wrote him and he included a scripture passage in it and that he was blessed by it and hoped that I was too.. It was incredible.. I have it framed in my home.. I'll take a picture of it and post it if anyone wants to see it..