1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ernie Sims - Sam Linebacker

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    I would rather see McSurdy at the SAM over Simms, so that pretty much says how much I would like him at the SAM. Simms just isn't a SAM at all, and would get abused in the run game on the strong side, he is much more of a Wil.
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,084 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Don't need to waste a high pick or overpay for anyone when it comes to this 3rd LB position. If Sims is the guy then OK but if they like another affordable veteran then bring him in!
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,451 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Tampa Bay always had small LBs including the Sam. I believe one of their Sam backers was a college safety.
  4. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

7,989 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Ryan Nece 225 lbs. Started at safety his first year of college, moved to linebacker after that.

Bucs did okay with him...

Cato June was a corner and safety in college, and was turned into a linebacker in the nfl. He was also a starter for the Bucs.

227 lbs.

I would absolutely say Church or Sims could play this spot.
  5. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,832 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    i just checked his injury history and until dallas he wasnt listed as having one on any injury report. Maybe he had them but in days gone by they hid them

http://www.kffl.com/player/13417/nfl/injury_history/ernie-sims
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,179 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    I'm with the others in thinking or at least hoping we upgrade from Sims. Wasn't he drafted by Marinelli for this exact system? And he still washed out.

Let's face it, he's a guy we got off the street because of a terrible injury situation. He's not a guy who plays a significant role going forward.
  7. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

5,950 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    I thought Carter would be the ideal SAM with Lee in the middle?
  8. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sims would be a very capable nickel backer for someone. He'd be nice to have in Dallas as depth but would anyone really like to see Carter or Lee on the field less?

He is not a starting caliber LB so in the base defense he would be behind Albright, Wilber and Connor if he returns.
  9. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

2,936 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    He's the Will. The Mike and Will are the key positions in Kiffin's systems, as well as the FS.
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,027 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    Here is recent article that referenced a concussion he suffered against Pittsburg:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...e-sims-leaves-game-because-of-dizziness.html/

Also sounds like he <might have> suffered another against the Saints -- although he reported it as "Dizziness"... ;)

With a concussion history like his, it's not surprising that he would exactly be vocal about having them.
  11. Galian Beast

7,989 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    He was there throughout Marinelli's time there. He played weakside for them, and was traded under new management.
  12. Galian Beast

7,989 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Lynch was actually a strong safety. The free safety spot next to him was a constant carousel.
  13. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,832 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    maybe i misread your initial post, i am aware he had some issues THIS year, i thought you were talking about prior to his arrival in Dallas.
  14. landroverking

landroverking Well-Known Member

1,106 Messages
    87 Likes Received
  15. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

3,837 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I know I am in the minority, but I actually like Sims and I like what he did for us this year. I think he is very underrated and could be a real find when teamed up with Carter and Lee. Those 3 can cover a lot of ground on the field and I think with Linebackers who can cover ground like that will really help the safeties underneath and help with covering the flat. I really hope they bring him back and team him up with those guys. It will be the first time Dallas has really posted 3 atheltic guys at LB in years.
  16. Deep_Freeze

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Well I guess I'm not as high on Sims as some of you are, but Church on the other hand would probably be great in the spot. Of course, that would make our already extremely thin talent-lacking safety position even worse so I doubt it happens.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,443 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received

I agree with you. While u need the instincts for the position when u add true speed to the skill set u need to evaluate that properly.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,213 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Well, I have been a fan of resigning Sims for awhile now. If we are going to Cover2 or Tampa2, it's all about coverage and getting 3 or 4 guys to the ball at all times. This means speed across the defense. Sims is very good at covering.
  19. Galian Beast

7,989 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how much future Church has at safety in this scheme. He has little range. I would call him a Roy Williams type player with a bit more range. Enough to play sam certainly.
  20. Deep_Freeze

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Well I'm not going to discount it, Church could play the position and be quite good at it, I just know that we would need 2 safeties if he did unless Matt catches the Bruce Willis gene in Unbreakable. Church's injury issues do have to come into account anytime he is brought up though, we don't know what he will come back like but if his range is even more limited the conversion might become a necessity.

Sims showed some ability out there this year, but I tend to steer away from LBs with concussion issues cause they just take too much contact to not get one again, so counting on them is too risky.