1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ernie Sims

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rbr651, Jan 9, 2013.

1. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

656 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    So what happens with Ernie? We had him signed to a 1 year $700k contract last year but I don't think we'll get him for the same price this year. He played well considering that he fell out of the sky right into a starting job, I would actually put him ahead of Connor on the depth chart and would prefer to see him back, I think he has more upside. So first question is what does he cost? Second question is what happened to him. Looking at his stats he was an outstanding LB his first 3 years in the league, but his forth year he fell off and only started 11 games, was he injured? Then for whatever reason he was pretty much stolen the following year in a three way trade involving Philly, Detroit and Denver and has never played the same since. Hopefully we see him to improve more next year and gets back to his old ways. Did something happen before he left Detroit? He was the 9th overall pick in the 2006 draft had 3 good years followed by one bad year and was pretty much thrown away at that point. To me it sounds as if something went down behind the scenes.
  2. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,762 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    You sign him to a 4 yr deal if they go 4-3 IMO
  3. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Stats really don't tell the full story about his time in Detroit. He actually underperformed for his draft status.
  4. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,991 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    what?

i give him another vet min deal. At a stretch a 2 year deal with a small SB
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received

What?

Why don't you just say we would waive him? Sims is going to get offers from other teams to start. I guarantee it. He made too many plays. If we go to a 43, that's a good fit for him and we probably try to sign him because he could be a starter in that scheme. He will absolutely get offered more then just minimum plus lunch money.
  6. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,604 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I don't think I would sign Sims to any long term deal with his history of concussions. I would find a younger and cheaper player without the injury history.

Craig
  7. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,499 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    I don't know about relying on a guy that went through three teams in six seasons and was on the street for part of 2012. Maybe he does pan out, but you line up 2013 starting two linebackers that have injury issues to go along with a guy who has underperformed for his career and bounced around the league.

Sounds like a draft pick is in order to me. An early one.
  8. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    He was a huge liability against the run and he's undersized. I'll pass.
  9. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    As what?

He is a coverage player only. He has lost many jobs because he is terrible against the run.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

35,028 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received

In a 43, your LBs are much smaller. He's the perfect size for a 43 OLB.
  11. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,243 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    You wait to see your options first. 4-3 OLB is not a tough position to fill, there's a lot of those guys around the league, in free agency, etc.
  12. unionjack8

1,991 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    like last offseason...........

he failed in detroit and indy , both perfect 4-3 schemes for his size and speed. If we sign him to a 4 year deal then its another disaster from JJ...
    He cannot play the run
  13. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    I think those are already spoken for...
  14. ABQCOWBOY

35,028 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received
    I don't follow.
  15. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

656 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Agreed, if in fact we do make the switch to a 43 it tells me that we are trading out of the first round since we'll no longer need a hog for a NT and that seems to be what the first round of this draft is about, pick up maybe an additional 3rd rounder and focus on OL/DL.
  16. unionjack8

1,991 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    i like both albright and wilbur as SLB. Both better against the run than the pass on the TE side.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

35,028 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received

No, a dominating 3Tech is worth more then a 34 NT. It means that we would probably shift from trying to acquire a NT and start looking at trying to bring in a disruptive DT.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,028 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received

His failures in Detroit and Indy were less about his actual play and more about his behavior. That's why he was out of football. He has now gone an entire season in Dallas with no issues. Teams will give him a chance because he is gold if you sign him and he produces.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

35,028 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received
    I think Albright will be on the Right Side. I am not sure he could play anywhere else.
  20. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I'd bring him to camp but there's no chance he gets a multi-year deal. Well, maybe a Dan Connor type 2 year deal.

He has to prove himself because this organization has given out too many long-term deals to unproven guys.