1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ernie Sims

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rbr651, Jan 9, 2013.

1. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,835 Messages
    2,283 Likes Received

Not sure how good a 43 DE Wilber would be, but I think he would be better as a 43 DE than a 43 OLB.
  2. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,162 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I'm just talking size. Miller is incredible. Isn't he more ideal at 4-3 DE but Denver plays him at SLB anyway? I'm pretty sure he played 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB when he first entered the league. I may be wrong. Overall, Denver's 4-3 is rather unique. Dumervil plays the rushing DE and he's only 5'11", and Wolfe plays the other DE and he's built like a DT, short and stout.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    Sims is not 5'8". He is listed at 6' 230 lbs. Going and getting a LB who can cover Graham or Grankowski is going to be very expensive. We Don't Have Cap. That is why Sims is a very attractive option for us. He is a capable player who would fit the scheme and somebody we could likely affrord.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,313 Messages
    4,847 Likes Received
    Ernie Sims is 5-11 and had a 41" vert at the combine.

Sean Lee is 6-2 and had a 37" vert.

Sims actually has a 1" advantage over Lee in a jump ball situation.
  5. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    in response to your "he will get better offers" quote, thought i had highlighted it, my bad
  6. JoeyBoy718

4,162 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I say keep Sims and Albright. You can never have enough LBs. We'll find a way to utilize them all. I don't know about Connor. I think he's our 5th best ILB. You can replace him with someone at the vet minimum.
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,835 Messages
    2,283 Likes Received

Wilber does not have Miller's quickness or speed... both things that a 43 OLB needs a lot of.

Wilber is a pass rusher, not a run/hit, coverage type player. A 43 OLB needs to be fast and quick in order to protect the perimeter, get to the sideline, and cover backs and TE's. Wilber doesn't have the lateral quickness, change of direction, or speed needed for the position.

Just look at Jimmy Johnson's 43 OLB's. Dixon Edwards, Vincent Smith, Godfrey Miles... all of them were around 6-1 or 6-2 and went about 230-235. They were fast and changed direction on a dime.

Just like Charles Haley, who was an OLB in San Fran's 34, played DE for Dallas and their 43.
  8. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    If we go 4-3 we will draft LB in first 3 rounds .
  9. unionjack8

1,958 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    then i'd let him walk. If soebody wants to give him a 4 year deal i let him go. The max i give is a 2 year deal with a small SB, maybe some incentives in there.
  10. JoeyBoy718

4,162 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Why? We already have 2 obvious starters in Lee and Carter. We have more pressing needs. I'm sure we can find a starter between Sims, Albright and Connor. I want to draft O-line, safety and maybe 4-3 DE.
  11. Pessimist_cowboy

1,923 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Because we would have a huge void at one OLB spot , I don't think they will resign sims . I think Albright is a solid back up or more of a 4-3 DE . Orie lemon would actually be a sleeper .
  12. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    3 Tech. That's what you have to have in a 43 and we don't.
  13. unionjack8

1,958 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    it'll be interesting for sure how this plays out if we go to a 4-3.

How does everyone see the DL shaking out?
  14. unionjack8

1,958 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    IF healthy i think rat is a perfect 3 tech. I would still llike to get a space eater in the middle though. Kind if like the Williams tandem used to be in Minny. Kevin alongsidse Pat.
    I think Hatcher projects inside as well and Lissemore.
  15. JoeyBoy718

4,162 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    My bad. I was thinking you were saying with our first 3 picks. Yeah, I agree. In the first 3 rounds, one of our picks should be 4-3 OLB.
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,835 Messages
    2,283 Likes Received

43 OLB's are much easier to find than 34 OLB's are and you don't spend the resources on them that you do for the pass rushing OLB's. The big money goes for the pass rushing DE's in a 43.

That's why you always saw Jimmy Johnson drafting DL in the first round but only once (Robert Jones) did he draft a LB in the first round... and Jones was a MLB.

Think Charles Haley and Tony Tolbert going after the QB with Dixon Edwards and Vincent Smith in coverage.

We already have two very good 43 LB's in Lee and Carter. All Dallas would need to do is get one more starter and they'd be set barring injuries.

Actually, in last year's draft, Bobby Wagner would be a perfect example of a move they might would make to fill the third spot. Wagner is the guy we supposedly would have taken out of Utah State had we kept our 2nd round pick. He's fast and aggressive, but isn't a pass rusher. We would use him in a 43 scheme the same way Seattle is. He would be a perfect fit with Lee and Carter.

A second is about as high as I could see us going on a LB... unless there is someone who they think is just head and shoulders above the others in round 1 (maybe Manti Te'o). But a 43 OLB just isn't as much an impact position as a DT or DE is, so that is much more likely to be the first round pick if it is on defense.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received

Rat is gone. After the incident with Jerry, I doubt Rat is on this team after June. Besides, he's long in the tooth. Even if he somehow survived which I think unlikely, you still need somebody there long term. That position is very critical in a 43.
  18. Pessimist_cowboy

1,923 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I think we could all agree if all healthy

Ware , Ratliff , hatcher , spencer

Could fit perfect as a really nice starting DL in a 4-3 !!! I could see huge sack numbers !
  19. JoeyBoy718

4,162 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there no financial gain in cutting Rat? Like it doesn't hurt or help the cap any more than it would if we keep him.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received

In this year's draft, that guy is Chase Thomas.