1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: A look back at Cowboys draft-day trade

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Oct 15, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,734 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    It wasn't a draft-day trade that shook up the NFL, but it sure made waves in Dallas-Fort Worth. The Cowboys swapped first-round picks with the San Francisco 49ers and acquired a third rounder this past spring. Dallas selected center/guard Travis Frederick in the first round, a player the Cowboys projected as a second-rounder. Wide receiver Terrance Williams was snagged in the third round. Should the Cowboys have drafted a defensive lineman instead of Frederick?

Continue reading...
  2. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Well-Known Member

1,221 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Floyd - 5 tackles (3 solo), 1.5 sacks
    Drake Nevis - 4 tackles (4 solo), 0 sacks (held and tackled by Dedskins OL with no whistles)

Not saying Nevis will be better, but for the mediots who were bashing us for not taking Floyd, they gotta be scratching their heads. Not only are Fred and Williams balling, Nevis came off the streets and is basically giving us Floyd's production. :)
    dallasdave likes this.
  3. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    WELL SAID INDEED. Jerry made the right decision.;)
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    Looking back, was the Cowboys' draft-day trade a good one?
    • 75% Yes
    • 6% No
    • 19% Too early to tell
    [IMG] (Total votes: 4,935)

I don't understand the 6% at all.
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,585 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    I think comparing him to Nick Hayden would make more sense.

Hayden: 18 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 FF

That being said, I wasn't upset so much cuz we passed on Floyd, but because of where we drafted Fred. I'm glad he's playing well, but I think we could have got him at Escobar's spot (and NOT taken another 2nd round TE).
    Texas_Pete likes this.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,330 Messages
    4,656 Likes Received

Hard to compare him to anyone of the starters on the Dline right now when he has to fight for playing time as a backup to Kevin Williams on his team vs players on our team who were not even on the roster prior to camp.

I think it is fair to say that if we had drafted him he would be a starter on an injury depleted defensive line of ours right now and his numbers would be a little better.

Now that is not an argument for or against the trade in the draft, it is just a clarification to say that comparing his stats on his team is not exactly fair to a starter on our team. Hard to get stats when you have a great player named Kevin Williams starting in front of you. I don't think he would be a back up to anyone in our dline with the possible exception of Hatcher.
    jobberone and Texas_Pete like this.
  7. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,936 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    To be honest, I don't think he would have been a backup to any of our starters except hatcher for very long and that includes a healthy Ratliff or Crawford
  8. VirusX

VirusX Active Member

1,392 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    How many touchdowns does Floyd have? Fredrick has one ;)
    the_h0wey and Smith22 like this.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,617 Messages
    2,510 Likes Received
    You can say that but I am not buying it. Especially after the massive reaches on Pugh and Long. I don't think it's far fetched to think that a team could have scouted well and rated Frederick high as well.

We did scout well and did rate him high. Other teams obviously do good jobs too.
  10. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    are we having this conversation?
  11. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,391 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    The other teams in the draft were making it clear that they generally didn't like this draft and were drafting guards and right tackles because they felt they were 'safe' picks. It's really something I haven't seen since the early 80's of following the draft where the 'non-skill' positions were going up in value simply because the 'skill position' players weren't rated very well and there was too much of a bust factor.

Could we have gotten Frederick at Escobar's spot?

Perhaps.

But, it wouldn't surprise me if somebody took him before Escobar's spot. And we desperately needed a center.

I don't agree with the sentiments that taking a player earlier than where they could have gotten him is 'good' if the player works out either. But, I have my doubts that he would have been available at Escobar's spot given the particular draft in question.

Just my .02.

YR
    jobberone likes this.
  12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,585 Messages
    527 Likes Received

Yeah you're probably right. But I still don't like the Escobar pick.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,391 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    I'm not overly fond of it either. Mainly because I think you go after that type of TE, a compliment to your HoF TE, in the 4th or 5th round. Particularly since Witten was a 3rd round pick. You're basically initially putting more money into the complimentary TE than the main TE. It's like paying more for the croutons than the actual salad.

As far as Escobar the player, he just doesn't come off as a 2nd round pick (again, weak draft class) . I saw some things that were very positive in the Broncos game as far as his receiving goes. Hopefully he has a better work ethic than Bennett.

YR
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    and some feel given how many OL players were taken in the 1st rd (an NFL record) Fredrick would have been gone. Any chance of upgrading the OL with a talented player the Cowboys like would have been foolish not reach.