1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Are the Cowboys still 'America's Team'?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by rocboy22, Nov 21, 2012.

1. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For the past 33 years, the nickname of America's Team has, for the most part, stuck, though the Dallas Cowboys don't seem to be embracing it as much as former general manager Tex Schramm did in the early years. They sell a Nike America's Team shirt in their online store, but they haven't trademarked the phrase and, in fact, don't like to talk about it.

"It has never been something the organization has ever promoted or called itself," team spokesman Rich Dalrymple said. "We don't beat our chests about it, and we don't view it as a contest with other professional sports teams."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4701825/are-the-cowboys-still-americas-team

why...why...why???????

edit: well, I know WHY. still a joke.
  2. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,977 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    I refuse to read the contents of the article.
  3. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    excellent choice
  4. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

869 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    We have become the NFL's most hated team. The media, former players, fans of other teams, even some former dallas players admit that Dallas is over hyped and as a football team under-delivers. Most people are now glad to see Dallas get their butts kicked and revel in their adversity and December swoons. A once proud, successful football franchise has been relegated to the ashbin of history. Who's at fault for this: none other than the Glitz Magnate Jerry Jones... Enjoy the next failed decade...
  5. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I don't give a rat's *** if they are 'America's Team'. Through good and bad, they are 'MY Team'. That's all that matters to me.
  6. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,586 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    In the 70s we were a blue collar country when we got the tag. Now we are all about Hollywood and superstars I think the name still fits pretty well.
  7. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,198 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    Wow, what an original column idea!
  8. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,766 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    Another example of ESPN beating a dead horse about a subject. Can't seem to get through one season anymore without them brining it up 5-10 times.
  9. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,386 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    Until Harris Interactive Polls say elsewise, we are America's Team.

YR
  10. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Here we go again.

all i have to say is this...:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,203 Likes Received
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I learned something useful from the article. Which has never happened before with one of these "I have nothing else to write about, so I'll once again bring up this tired topic which I know is also stupid."
  12. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    just actually read the whole thing now. There were some interesting tidbits. What are you referring to?
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    the part that grabbed me was the $17-21 dollar fee for JUST A TOUR of the Stadium.
    And that 500,000 people do this a year when there are no games.
  14. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yea, the amount of people doing it caught my attention.

I knew the price, but after hearing so many people talk about what it was like and what you get to do, I think it is well worth it.
  15. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    After the Saints won the SB they were America's Team, then the Pack won it and were America's Team.

:espn:
  16. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,386 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    I know for me that there is plenty of evidence that we are America's Team. Nobody has a *total* games sell out streak, both home and away games, like Dallas. No team consistently draws the ratings, both locally and on nationally televised games that the Cowboys draw. Then there is the Harris Interactive Polls that poll across the nation each year that the Cowboys are the favorite team of most NFL fans.

All we ever get with these columns is anectdotal evidence which is typically biased because the author dislikes the Cowboys and the notion that they are America's Team.

We keep seeing these columns were writers are hellbent on proclaiming that Dallas is no longer America's Teams, but they always ignore these substantiated facts and act like they don't happen.

Finally somebody writes something with the facts.

YR
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    Jerruh has made the Spaceship a real tourist attraction. Just rough guessing he probabaly rakes in $10 million a year on days when there are no games. Explains why he is in no hurry to negotiate naming rights.

Think about it: those that take the tour almost certainly get drinks or the like; and probably buy some Cowboys stuff in the shops. Between that and the other events held there he probably makes the payments on his loan justfromthat. Meaning all the rest of the profits from the games and the like go right into his pocket.
  18. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If reporters are writing articles about this and people are continually trying to justify how the Cowboys aren't America's Team, I think it's clear that they still are America's Team.

:starspin
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Every single year an article comes out about Dallas being America's Team. :laugh2:

Love or hate the Cowboys they are big time rating wise for the networks and always around the top in merchandise and road games no matter where they play have a large Cowboys fan base there.
  20. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,437 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    lol!

The only thing I didn't like about this article, and what I miss in this day and age, is that it's on the web, instead of print. My toilet paper stock is running thin these days!