1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Barry Church should chip in at ILB

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Nov 5, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,113 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    Barry Church should chip in at ILB
    November, 4, 2011
    By Tim MacMahon

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4686188/barry-church-should-chip-in-at-ilb

IRVING, Texas – All due respect to Bradie James and Keith Brooking, but the Eagles exposed the dangers of giving the veteran inside linebackers too much responsibility in pass coverage.

James and Brooking will play most of the snaps at inside linebacker with Sean Lee expected to miss at least one game, but the Cowboys need to get some young legs involved, especially in obvious passing situations.

Rookie linebacker Bruce Carter, a second-round pick who didn’t play a defensive snap in his NFL debut last week, will play in certain packages. Second-year safety Barry Church could also see playing time at linebacker in certain nickel and dime packages....
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,999 Messages
    5,034 Likes Received
    Church couldn't do much worse than Brooking or James did last week in coverage.
  3. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is true, and in fact he should be better in coverage, but the big key is we have to have safety help instead of playing our safeties 20 yards deep. No ILB can cover that much field.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,653 Messages
    2,190 Likes Received
    the key is where we are by the time we need to play the beagles again

if lee is healthy and carter and church are playing some, it might be a different game
  5. BARRYRAY

BARRYRAY Active Member

1,237 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    You guys do not understand the Ryan plan last week.It was to have Brooking "shadow" the person with the ball.To properly" shadow" him he was not to initiate any contact but to stay close behind in the event he were to drop the ball on his way down the field.Brooking and the others were in perfect alignment to avoid contact while "shadowing " the opposing runner or receiver.Now this is in sharp contrast to last years broken defense with Phillips were we were 'attacking" the opposing offense.You guys really don't get the complexities of the Cowboy defense.It was clear we were playing it close to the vest so that we could avoid further contact or injury to our insider linebackers.But yet we are not to panic here it was just "one" of those games.I have noticed how many folks on her are selling their tickets and abandoning the ship.I think we are headed for another non playoff season.

And as a long time suffering Cowboy fan I am also going to point out that Troy Aikman looks better every year and that the last Cowboy coach to win the Superbowl was that "dummy" from Oklahoma Barry Switzer.And yet out Ivy League guy the red haired wonder is looking a whole lot more like the last four or five coaches.Sorry we aren't going anywhere this year.Same old Cowboys, same old Romo.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    On obvious passing downs, I think that would be a great idea.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,441 Messages
    3,010 Likes Received
    My god, you and Yeags couldn't do worse in coverage. :D
  8. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,521 Messages
    932 Likes Received
    Some of us on CZ called this right after the game..yup were smart :)
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,999 Messages
    5,034 Likes Received
    AFTER a bunch of BBQ and drinks.
  10. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,742 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    this.....rob ryan was outcoached vs the eagles. He didn't put the players in position to succeed. I hope he never ever use that game plan ever again. We was basically playing 9 on 11 with our safeties in the stands.:bang2:
  11. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,033 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    After today's game, I am convinced that Church couldn't be any worse out there. Give him a go and let Brooking and James reminisce about the good ol' days on the sidelines.
  12. Cowboysfan570

Cowboysfan570 Well-Known Member

1,085 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I'm certainly not opposed, Church strikes me as a very sound tackler for a safety.
  13. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,140 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    a few plays in the second half i thought i saw church and carter on the field at the same time. i know i did on seahawks last drive.
  14. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Church, he might be able to convert to LBer, I know he can hit!
  15. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,382 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    He did play some ILB.