News: ESPN Broaddus: Scout's Eye: Cowboys-Chargers review

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 23, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Need A Win...By any means necessary Staff Member

70,925 Messages
    12,905 Likes Received
    Aug 23
    AM CT

By Bryan Broaddus

Thoughts from the San Diego preseason game:

*The biggest concern for the Cowboys going into this game against the Chargers was how were they able to effectively protect Tony Romo from a defense that had six sacks the pervious week against the Bears.

With injuries to Marc Colombo and Alex Barron, Robert Brewster was placed into the lineup as the starter at right tackle. All the talk centered on how much help Brewster would need throughout the game not to expose Romo to any unnecessary hits. The offensive coaches were preparing several different combinations in the practice leading up to this game.

*Linebacker Sean Lee was making his first appearance of the preseason after missing time in camp with a quad strain. Lee will fill the important role of the nickel linebacker but was surprised to see that when the first nickel went onto the field early in the first quarter, Bradie James and Keith Brooking were the linebackers. Maybe this was Wade Phillips’ way of not showing too much in the preseason with his nickel packages.

In the evaluation of Lee, it was a mixed bag. There is not a doubt in my mind that Lee has a nose for the football because I have seen him in practice, read the scheme, fight the block and get in on the tackle. Early in Lee’s time in the game, he really didn’t cut it loose. Plays that he normally would make in practice were done in caution.

*On our nightly Cowboys Training Camp Report (7-9p.m.) on 103.3 FM ESPN, my co-host RJ Choppy and I have talked about the "bubble players" on this team.

Read on for more analysis: