1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN Broaddus: Scout's Eye: Cowboys-Colts review

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 7, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,713 Messages
    6,480 Likes Received
    Dec 7
    10:16
    AM CT
    By Bryan Broaddus

Coming off the disappointing Thanksgiving loss, Jason Garrett continued to preach to all those that would listen about finding a way to handle adversity.
    In studying the Colts, injuries had taken a toll in several key areas, except for quarterback Peyton Manning.

Despite lacking a running game and a playmaking tight end and having some banged-up wide receivers, Manning still presented a challenge to a Dallas defense that was making the transformation from Wade Phillips' blitzing, man-coverage style to Paul Pasqualoni's zone coverage and assignment-first scheme.

When the Colts did try and run the ball on Sunday, Cowboys linebackers Bradie James, Sean Lee and Anthony Spencer were in position to make plays.

To the naked eye, it would have appeared that DeMarcus Ware had a quiet game against the Colts because he didn’t have any sacks. Coming into this game, the Colts were first in the NFL in protecting Manning. There had been some games this season where he had taken hits in the pocket, but not many sacks.

In the secondary, we all saw the huge game that Reggie Wayne had against this Cowboys secondary and mainly Jenkins.

On offense, Garrett did a nice job of making the Colts have to defend the entire field with his play-calling. He took advantage of the Colts’ lighter front seven by using misdirection to get them moving, then bringing the ball on the edge with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice.

The offensive line did a much better job of combo blocking, securing the down linemen then getting a blocker up on the linebackers. This allowed the backs to find the hole without having to deal with a defender in their face immediately.
    There are those that feel that the fumble recovery of Cowboys rookie Lonyae Miller on the kickoff return was the key point in the game. There is no doubt that it was huge, but I want to point out three other plays that might have been just as an important.

Read more Broaddus: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4675419/scout’s-eye-cowboys-colts-review
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,793 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    So Gurode warned the refs two times prior on that leverage penalty and finally got the call the third time on that one fg.
  3. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,023 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Gurode did something smart!
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I didn't know the whole leverage rule.

I knew you couldn't boost off a teammate but I didn't think that was the case with the other team.

Anyhow, worked out real nice.
  5. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    and it only took the refs 3 times and 2 assists from AG to make the call!
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received

Fixed it for Broaddus.
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,215 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    Maybe he's the smart one and the refs are dumb. :)

YR
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,110 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    Maybe he had Kosier make the call. :laugh2:
  9. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,128 Messages
    1,346 Likes Received
    The officiating crew was noted for having called the fewest penalties in the NFL as a group. It was well into the game before the Cowboys got the first flag thrown.
  10. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,204 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I love braoddus's columns. Content rather than agenda driven. They're the complete opposite of most of the local media crap (Taylor, JFE, Galloway, etc.).
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,039 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Parcells always said that Gurode wasn't dumb. Said something to the effect that he was smart, but he just didn't process information very fast. He gets bonus points on this one, certainly!
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,006 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    How many TDs could this guy be responsible for in a season? Double digits?

(Hamlin gave up 1 last season, 3 in the previous season.)
  13. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,377 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Good read as usual.
  14. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,607 Messages
    739 Likes Received
    this is getting ridiculous.. how are officials not seeing the blatant holding?? this has been going on for the past few games and i'm sure it's not just happening to Ware
  15. cowboyed

cowboyed Garrett Groupie

2,103 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe that is why he delays his snaps. :laugh2: I know he doesn't have an agile mind to direct the line and assist the qb reading the defense. But I have to give him credit for persisting with the refs. Maybe Jason told him he needs to be more of a captain on that line.
  16. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Gurode is supposed to be one of the smarter players on the team.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Gurode is a smart guy. Got very high grades at Colorado and it was not in ball room dancing. Just might be like BP said that he just does not process the data as fast as you sometimes need to in the NFL.

Pretty sad that Andre had to tell the refs three times before they made the call. And Ware just about got tackled a couple of times. I think he gets fewer holding calls than any other top pass rusher in the NFL. Tell that is not because he is a cowboy.
  18. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Theo, that's part of the problem. We tried to fix something that wasn't broken without having a viable plan in place. The same with Flozell. We just assumed, on the premise that Flozell had a lot of penalties and that Hamlin didn't have enough take-aways, that everything would work out well.
  19. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The way I remember it was that BP said he would lose focus at times, almost like he has ADD or something.
  20. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,903 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    "Coming into this game, the Colts were first in the NFL in protecting Manning."

Well, duh. I mean, who else would be protecting Manning?