1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Checking in on Cowboys' free agents

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Apr 1, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,683 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    IRVING, Texas – The Dallas Cowboys have lost two players in free agency -- Jason Hatcher and Danny McCray -- with eight players still available on the market. DeMarcus Ware does not count as an unrestricted free-agent signing because he was released, and the Cowboys would not receive a compensatory pick in 2015. Here is a look at the status of their remaining free agents:

Here is a look at the status of their remaining free agents:

RB Phillip Tanner – The Cowboys did not tender him a deal as a restricted free agent, thus allowing him to sign elsewhere. It is possible he'll return on a one-year deal at the minimum, but it is unlikely.

DE Edgar Jones – Has some value because he can play special teams. Another one-year deal at the veteran minimum or possibly a minimum-salary benefit player.

OL Ryan Cook – Did not play last year because of a back injury. His ability to play center and guard helps, but the Cowboys want to get better and younger with their reserve interior linemen.

QB Jon Kitna – He will go back to coaching high school football and teaching math.

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    Any guys on the list, y'all think might make their way back?
  3. brymatt94

brymatt94 Well-Known Member

494 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Anthony Spencer is indeed the most likely to re-sign, they can get him cheap and there's of course that familiarity. If he's not healthy by the time the season starts, cut him or get an injury settlement. I'd like to see Tanner back as depth for pre-season, he always seems to shine at this time but there's younger guys in the draft as well. I thought Wynn did a solid job on the d-line, I think he could provide good depth as well.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    If we let ware go, Spencer should be a foregone conclusion.
    dallasdave likes this.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,758 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I think Spencer will be back. There's no market for him coming off that injury. Might as well stay home and sign a one year deal on the cheap with the Cowboys.
    BigStar likes this.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    No one that will make any kind of long term impact.
  7. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,658 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Ware was let go due to salary. Spencer will not command anything near what Ware was.
    Carharris2, BigStar and brymatt94 like this.
  8. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,182 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Yep.

I'd take Tanner back if I was Dallas.

They need the depth at RB be at least 3 deep to make it for 16 games.

He's run determinedly when used.
    casmith07 likes this.
  9. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    how do you know?

the point is we tagged him for (2) years at top $. neither of those years provided value. if we can walk away from ware, we should run away from spencer. the only reason people seem to want to resign him is out of name. not production. hell, 2 years ago the board was up in arms we tagged him. now we must sign him at a...who knows rate?

risk: no guarantee he will even see the field in 2014.
    reward: searching.

we have no idea who will pay what for spencer, but if we're to redo our DL, redo it.

let go of what didn't work.

i don't care if spencer would do it for vet minimum, move on.
    5Stars, waving monkey and casmith07 like this.
  10. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,786 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    I was all for resigning Spencer but you make some valid points.
  11. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

3,559 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    Lets revisit this list in November. They may still be free agents.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I don't know what you're talking about. Two years ago he had his best year, made his first Pro Bowl, and was clearly our best player on defense. Why are you acting like he was a bum that year?

I'm not saying we should re-sign him, because that's a serious injury and we have no idea of knowing how well he is. But when healthy, he can play. And you wouldn't even give him the minimum? You clearly just don't like him for whatever reason.
    Duane, DEMFAN and theSHOW like this.
  13. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    so at 28 he had his best year, cashed in, and has not made a game changing play in the last 2 years.

he is a 2nd tier player. solid, but not a game changer. he never was. why we tagged him i still can't fathom. you seem to say we should rush to sign him cause at 28, he made his 1st pro bowl.

he's not a bum. i'm *not* an extremist. he was a 2nd tier player who did well for us but was *never* a superstar.

i'd not give him the minimum cause we gave him top 5 and he played what, 32 downs? his surgery is 50/50 a best to ever play again. his history is NOT top notch?

people bash jones for holding on, but hey, shine that same light away from me.

spencer will never be in the ring. he'll never be mentioned much more than an afterthought when he's gone (outside those who wanna bash jones for the tag stuff).

what i want us to do is establish direction and go. if we're ok with letting ware go, letting spencer walk shouldn't be an issue. i'm trying to see all sides.

you're trying to say i'm calling him a bum.

stop. i NEVER said that. i said if we're moving on, move on.
    the_h0wey and casmith07 like this.
  14. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,384 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    Seems like they're waiting on Spencer, maybe Wynn for some more depth
  15. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,978 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    I'm ambivalent towards Spencer...I like what he brought when he was healthy, he now isn't healthy....move on? sure, why not.....sign him to a vet minimum? sure, why not
  16. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Absolutely. Phillip Tanner.

The Joseph Randle pick made me scratch my head.
    waving monkey likes this.
  17. phildadon86

phildadon86 Active Member

550 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Completely agree with everything you said here. That tag was ridiculous. Run away from spencer the same way Jenkins ran away from that tackle against Green Bay. Lol, sorry i just really liked that analogy.
  18. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Would love to see a healthy Brian Waters here. Does anybody know if he silently had the triceps repaired? I believe Anthony will be back, but it will be at a low cost low year deal, and he will be running and showing us he can play. This contract may develop after June 1st. I would have no problem going with the group of backs we had last year as long as we do the right thing draft day. Maybe possibly Wynn if the draft doesn't go right.
  19. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,946 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    I think the Tanner situation says they might add a running back this year in the draft. Especially considering how running backs have slipped to later rounds lately and how many picks we have in the seventh.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    I don't remember seeing any news concerning Waters surgery so I don't think it's done.

At this point I'd rather go C/OG early in the draft and hire Waters as Asst. OL coach.